New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Tripod head recommendation needed

jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Forever, I have had a single Manfrotto tripod with a Giottos ball head. Its been sturdy and great, but now I've gotten in to the Peak design Capture system, and they don't have a plate compatible with the Giottos format. My monopod has a manfrotto style head, and I just got a travel tripod with an Arca style, and the Peak design multi-plate works with both.

So I'm thinking of buying a new head for my tripod. This is a studio use or planned work usage where I won't mind carrying something heavy as it no longer has to double as my travel tripod. I have liked the simplicity of the ball head, but I might like something with a little more fine adjustment now.

What do you guys like?

On the chance that I look in to this and decide I don't want to spend too much money (I'd say $100-200 max), is it possible to get a new plate for my Giottos ball head? Just the plate, that I could bolt on in place of the one that's on there already...

Edit to add - I shoot an R6 or 5D3, with lenses from the 24-105 up to the 100-400v2. So a medium duty head is probably enough. I don't have any big whites, and so probably don't need a gimbal.

Thanks,
Brian

May 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod head recommendation needed

the peak design regular plate will fit an Arca Swiss type clamp assembly. this clamp assy is on a plethora of ball heads available

on your left a std PD plate. i use this one on my P/S camera

on the right this is one i have as a spare for borrows.

both will fit just about any Arca Swiss type clamp assy out there.

only the PD plate will fit both clamp and PD clip

staying within your price framework here is a group from Sirui:

https://www.siruiusa.com/index/photographic/kx.html?cid=4&id=18

Edited on May 14, 2022 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

May 14, 2022 at 01:18 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod head recommendation needed

jedibrain wrote:
On the chance that I look in to this and decide I don't want to spend too much money (I'd say $100-200 max), is it possible to get a new plate for my Giottos ball head? Just the plate, that I could bolt on in place of the one that's on there already...

Check your current quick-release top-plate and look for a serial number, or, a model number. Giottos apparently went out of business in 2019, but I've found a site that has a limited supply of Giotto QR-top-plates.

There are also other options, but let's start there.

May 14, 2022 at 02:58 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Bobarino wrote:
Check your current quick-release top-plate and look for a serial number, or, a model number. Giottos apparently went out of business in 2019, but I've found a site that has a limited supply of Giotto QR-top-plates.

There are also other options, but let's start there.

Its an MH 652. Thats the part number on the quick release head/receiver. The ball head itself is a MH1000

May 14, 2022 at 04:34 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Hi Jedibrain,

I'll give you the link to that site, and you can look around to see if there's something suitable.

https://tripodquickrelease.com/Giottos_Quick_Releases.html

May 14, 2022 at 06:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod head recommendation needed

just think about this as a potential dead end.

May 14, 2022 at 09:03 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Well not married to the head I have. The post was mainly about what other types are out there and what are good options.

Brian

sjms wrote:
just think about this as a potential dead end.

May 14, 2022 at 09:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Arca-Swiss is by far the global standard in QR-mounting for still photography. I suggest a transition to that now rather than suffering more later.

I'm not a fan of such ballheads, but agree with the comment above and the K-30X should meet your needs.

EBH

May 14, 2022 at 09:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod head recommendation needed

thats the point. Arca Swiss is a general standard accepted by pretty much most shooters out and about.

personally, been with it since 1991.

May 14, 2022 at 09:16 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod head recommendation needed

I feel like I haven't been clear. So with the possibility of swapping the QD plate to an arcade style ruled out...I'm looking for recommendations on an arca style head, either ball or something with finer adjustments.

Brian

May 14, 2022 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bobarino

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Check this out for converting your current QD-plate

May 14, 2022 at 10:24 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Sometimes you can just remove the screw holding the top plate and replace it with the new plate. Use ONLY BLUE LOCTITE.

May 14, 2022 at 10:57 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod head recommendation needed

here's another;

May 14, 2022 at 11:11 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod head recommendation needed

runamuck wrote:
Sometimes you can just remove the screw holding the top plate and replace it with the new plate. Use ONLY BLUE LOCTITE.

Yep, but, you have to ensure that the ball-head shank-end matches the underside of the new QD-plate. Sometimes, an adapter is required, but that should be reasonably simple to resolve.

May 14, 2022 at 11:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod head recommendation needed

you have some pretty simple choices:

1- you can try to recycle your old head into a new common "standard" type. this may or may not be worth your while due to the variations in design and adaptions required which can be relatively easy or time consuming as seen above

2- get a new overall better "standard" head of your choice for general use and work from there.

3- the standard thread on most tripod platforms is 3/8-16" or on a rare occasion 1/4-20". the 1/4-20" is easily adapted up to 3/8-16" via a bushing or on many newer ones reversable. on heads the same though if you have a 1/4-20" base thread its somewhat of a pain but doable. just adds weight. i have one of those heads in the "archive".

4- higher precision adjustment heads are out there. "precision" is a relative term and in reality, for the most part, price will the deciding factor for a particular use and level of said "precision". each type of head will have its own particular eccentricities/qualities in use.

5- decisions, decisions, decisions.

6- in the end i have, for the most part, worked with the KISS principle in doing things which at least for me tends to reduce to simple reality of item 5

May 15, 2022 at 06:07 AM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod head recommendation needed

I gave up on ball heads a long time ago when I was looking for more precision like you are. The ball heads are fine for what they are, and for when speed is your goal, but precise isn't a word I'd use to describe them.

I prefer a good geared head, slower for sure, but precision is the name of their game. I have experience with 3 different geared heads, the manfrotto 410, Arca Swiss D4, and the Arca Swiss C1 Cube.

The Manfrotto 410 is a good geared head, but it is very large compared to a small ball head, it's also fairly heavy and uses a manfrotto specific QR plate system. however it is very precise, should hold the weight you're using without issue, and while it retails for around $400, you can usually find them on the used market in good shape around $200. this is the only one that I've seen in your price range.

The Arca D4 is much smaller, about the same size and weight as a good ball head, very strong, uses a standard Arca Swiss QR system. this is an interesting head because you can unlock the geared movements and it acts similar to a regular ball head, but the movement axis can be locked up for precise geared movements. however the downside is that it's very expensive, new ones run around $1k, used market can be around the $800ish mark if you can find them used.

The Arca C1 Cube is what I currently have, love it, its super unique, the geared movements are so nice, its extremely strong and practically bombproof. has some very unique movements that are unlike any other head I've seen out there. downside again is that it's very expensive, retail is anywhere from $1400 - 1900 depending on the configuration, used market typically is around $1k-1400 depending on the config and condition, and not super common on the used market either.

I know some of these are out of your specified price range, and you've been interested in changing the QR system on your current giottos head, but thought I'd share my experience since you asked for "finer adjustments", which is what I was looking for when I switched from ball heads to geared heads.

May 16, 2022 at 01:51 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod head recommendation needed

Wow, quite nice. Probably more than I want to do right now. Seems like my best bet may be one of those adapters like in the video above. Probably a good $25 spent to get on a common system while I decide if something else is worth it or not.

Brian

Aloicious wrote:
I gave up on ball heads a long time ago when I was looking for more precision like you are. The ball heads are fine for what they are, and for when speed is your goal, but precise isn't a word I'd use to describe them.

I prefer a good geared head, slower for sure, but precision is the name of their game. I have experience with 3 different geared heads, the manfrotto 410, Arca Swiss D4, and the Arca Swiss C1 Cube.

The Manfrotto 410 is a good geared head, but it is very large compared to a small
...Show more

May 16, 2022 at 02:45 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod head recommendation needed

more Giottos Quick Release clamps and plates.

https://tripodquickrelease.com/Quick_Release_Adapters.html

May 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod head recommendation needed

So I had to order some stuff from B&H anyway, so I picked up this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1418056-REG/oben_qra_a2_quick_release_assembly_with.html

Now that I have it here, it looks like I could unbolt the Giottos quick release receiver and just bolt this on. There is just a flat head the current one is sitting on. For now though, I just have the Giottos QD plate screwed on to the bottom of this new Arca compatible receiver, and everything seems to work fine. $25 well spent. Now my main and travel tripods are compatible. I still have a manfrotto plate on my monopod, but the only thing I can't mount to that right now is the arca rail on my 100-400mm lens. The cameras have the Peak design multiplate, so they work directly in the monopod, and that's probably fine for a while.

Brian

Brian

May 17, 2022 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password