Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

Alan Parker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

For starters Flickr's system seems to be quite weird, especially since you can't monetize on there in the first place unlike Instagram (through third parties) or a personal website. I feel like Flickr is a fun place, but nothing too serious. I do get enjoyment out of seeing reactions on my photos on there and engaging with people (mostly on train pictures and flower photos).
You just find your crowd on there and make buddies on there I think. I still have no idea why some pictures pick up the pace, get selected for Explore or get lots of views/favorites. I also have no idea why some people's photos show up on my feed more than others'. Your photos, Neurad, don't show up much when I know you regularly post them on there.
At the end of the day it's a search engine, repository and community for me, but it's used differently by everyone. Maybe if I did try to use it more as a portfolio to attract business (if I wanted to work professionally) I'd probably use it very differently than I do now.

May 14, 2022 at 01:47 PM
TGPhotography
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

Meh. Add me to the list that doesnít care about likes on Flickr.

I use Flickr to host images to share here and a few other places. I also use it to share cell phone snaps that document trips or events with friends since I donít use facebook or Instagram. My Flickr stream is not carefully curated. I donít post in any groups. My photos use my default camera numbering for a title. I use some keywords that export from LR. Iíve never had anything in Explore and donít care. If people here or on Flickr were to give meaningful constructive feedback I wouldnít mind but I donít expect it.

You can tell who is using bots to like your photos. Certain keywords always get the same user likes almost immediately which tells me how meaningless it is.

I do enjoy using Flickr to search for others photos by subject, location, camera or lens.

May 14, 2022 at 02:01 PM
Choderboy
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

I go for the opposite. I have a Facebook group that I started about 8 years ago. For a long time the vast majority of the photos were mine. Now there are more enthusiast photgraphers that post photos. So every week I choose a winner for the week. I exclude myself from the running. So I'm giving real likes, not some like mine and I'll like yours type like.

May 14, 2022 at 02:17 PM
JeyB
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

LBJ2 wrote:
Please count me as 60.001 admirer of this beautiful image. Exquisitely lit, super interesting subject 🤩👍🏻

Ohh, thank you very much for the compliment! Statistically consider yourself counted as number 60.001 lol

Have a nice day

May 14, 2022 at 02:35 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

That is an excellent photo indeed!!

May 14, 2022 at 03:03 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

I will admit I get a little dopamine rush when I get likes (and especially comments) on Flickr or here on the FM Forum; on Facebook I tend to discount likes because they're coming from friends, but on Flickr they're coming from people I don't know and that counts for a little more. Photography is so subjective; my photos that get the most likes on Facebook are often the most flawed from a technical standpoint but there's a feeling to them that people respond to. I find it fascinatingly unpredictable; I'll post a small batch of photos and add one as an afterthought, not even sure it's worth posting, and invariably that will be the one people latch on to and like, love, and leave comments on. I have an Instagram account but don't use it much, I find it a terrible platform for viewing and posting photos.

Other photographers are not my target "audience" for photos, but again when other photographers comment positively on my photos it gives me a little boost of confidence that I'm at least doing some things right some of the time. But even that is subjective and there are photos I'm very happy with that have never received likes or comments on any platform; that's okay because they mean something to me.

I don't sell my photos or work for clients. I work for clients in my day job so I value having total artistic freedom (and the ability to learn from my mistakes without repercussions) with my photography, music, and video, all of which are things I plan to pursue full-time (and not for money) in retirement. I also never print my photos; I printed thousands of photos in the film era and spent lots of time in darkrooms, but am happy to keep everything in the ether now. To me there's no point keeping my work all to myself, I want others to see them, and part of the enjoyment of sharing is getting reactions. I don't see anything wrong with that.

May 14, 2022 at 03:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

Neurad1 wrote:
.....I've been on Flickr now for years and I see photos there that seem less interestingly composed, exposed, etc than mine. But I get maybe a single "like" whereas other folks' photos get 20s to 100s of likes. It's disheartening and I'd really like to understand how to DO better...(i.e. not merely to feel better).

I'm not looking for psychotherapy here. Does anyone know if there are algorithms or something that might explain why even what I consider my best shots get so little love? Or if you're willing, might you comment on where my photography needs work? Please?

I
...Show more

FlickR is not the only site where this happens. Take a look at this site. See the little 'Multi-quote * Like' button under each posting? Why is there no 'Dislike' button? Because you are not allowed to dislike other members' comments or images.

You can of course write that you dislike someone's posted images, but I assure you that you will get flamed for stating your honest opinion.

Also, if you click on a 'Like' button for someone, it will show the usernames of others that have done so. This creates little cliques where "you Like my images and I will do likewise with your images".

The same scenario happens with "Feature of the Week" on the N&W Forum. You vote for me, and I will vote for you.

Photos are art, and as you should know everyone has different tastes. If you don't learn to ignore those meaningless 'Likes', you will need psychotherapy.

May 14, 2022 at 05:31 PM
ruthenium
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

Imagemaster wrote:
FlickR is not the only site where this happens. Take a look at this site. See the little 'Multi-quote * Like' button under each posting? Why is there no 'Dislike' button? Because you are not allowed to dislike other members' comments or images.

You can of course write that you dislike someone's posted images, but I assure you that you will get flamed for stating your honest opinion.

Also, if you click on a 'Like' button for someone, it will show the usernames of others that have done so. This creates little cliques where "you Like my images and I will do
...Show more

When one can see who likes their contributions, one can also tell who doesn't (by omission).
I have never done this myself as there seems to be something inherently wrong and possibly damaging about this kind of inquiry and pursuit. Maybe this feature should be disabled - I don't see anything useful about it.

May 14, 2022 at 05:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnvanr
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

Donít know about Flickr, but years ago I posted images on some now defunct photo sharing site and didnít get many likes compared to others who gave likes to just about everyone else. I donít play that game, so unless there were other reasons for me to post images online, I stopped doing so. Why bother?

May 14, 2022 at 05:52 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

ruthenium wrote:
When one can see who likes their contributions, one can also tell who doesn't (by omission).
I have never done this myself as there seems to be something inherently wrong and possibly damaging about this kind of inquiry and pursuit. Maybe this feature should be disabled - I don't see anything useful about it.

Be careful with that assessment.

I have read many contributions and seen many lovely images that I don't "like".

My lack of "liking" is generally a function of personal circumstance at the the moment (Hey! Who forgot to replace the toilet paper?) rather than a statement of ambivalence or dissatisfaction.

May 14, 2022 at 06:11 PM
ruthenium
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

DaveFP wrote:
Be careful with that assessment.

I have read many contributions and seen many lovely images that I don't "like".

My lack of "liking" is generally a function of personal circumstance at the the moment (Hey! Who forgot to replace the toilet paper?) rather than a statement of ambivalence or dissatisfaction.

No worries! I well understand what you mean. There hasn't been any assessment on my side, merely the thought that that particular feature serves no good purpose. Is this a healthy line of thought to inquire into who, personally, likes someone on this forum?

May 14, 2022 at 07:18 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

ruthenium wrote:
No worries! I well understand what you mean. There hasn't been any assessment on my side, merely the thought that that particular feature serves no good purpose. Is this a healthy line of thought to inquire into who, personally, likes someone on this forum?

It's a good question.

It is a feature that has been added to many MSM sites (NYT, WSJ).

I would have to think for a bit as to how it benefits the site.

(And make no mistake; it is there to benefit the site, not necessarily the users)

May 14, 2022 at 08:46 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

Many already said it so I won't repeat. For me, I found the amount of likes can be very different on different platform. Launching the same image on several platforms at the same time and you'll see how the likes you get on each can differ greatly. And it's not quite that one platform will consistently generate more likes either.

Nonetheless, what I found that is that if you can constantly bombard people with decent or better content daily, you will get more likes in the end (exposure, recognition, etc.) So it depends very much on a little on the content but more on how you go about grabbing people's attention. People nowadays are not easily impressed with one or two good pictures.

May 14, 2022 at 09:00 PM
Hodie
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

I havenít read any of the comments except for OPís. All I will say is that comparison is the killer of all joy. If you do photography as a hobby, then do it for yourself. Donít try to get validation from the internet. This is one reason why I donít post my photos here or on social media much at all. I found myself just comparing myself to others.

May 14, 2022 at 09:21 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A whine about Flickr for My fellow Fred Sony group.

ruthenium wrote:

I agree with you on this. Fred should remove that feature as it serves no useful purpose.

May 14, 2022 at 09:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password