Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

Has anyone bought a new 40.5mm filter for their drop in holder? I'm just looking for a direct replacement for the clear one that comes with the lens. Mine seems to have some blueish tint/residue that is impossible to clean off. I noticed this after wiping it with a microcloth a little while ago. I now have compared it to the brand new filter in my 400GM and something is off with it. Every time I try to clean it it seems to just smear the stuff. You can only see the problem if you hold the filter at a certain angle to the sun but it doesn't seem right.

I don't know if I can just buy any 40.5mm filter or need a specific one. B&H does have a Sony brand 40.5mm but it doesn't say that it is made for the drop in holder. Do you think this one would work? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925705-REG/sony_vf_405mp_40_5mm_multi_coat_protector_filter.html/overview

May 14, 2022 at 06:53 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

I've only pulled the filter holder + filter out to clean it
Didn't realize the filter itself could be replaced

Was looking at a drop-in circ pol filter for my 600, but $400 ... dang

May 14, 2022 at 07:48 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

I havenít pulled mine out at all. Just confirming, you did notice the bluish tint/residue on it after you wiped that with a microfiber cloth and not before, right? The coating on that filter is super sensitive then. I remembered several years ago that there was a filter, maybe it was a Hoya, that was like that.

I would call Sony Pro group to make sure that it is the correct filter for that purpose.

May 14, 2022 at 08:11 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

Well, about 4 or 5 months after getting the 600 GM NIB, I pulled out the filter to have a look, the filter was covered wth grease like substance. I had never touched it by accident or anything. I was shocked by Sony's sloppy QC for such an expensive lens. I cleaned it up. But I also ordered a replacement directly from Sony, SKU: VF405MP, same one in the BH link you showed.

On Sony's 600 GM page, it's listed at accessary .https://electronics.sony.com/imaging/lenses/all-e-mount/p/sel600f40.

Now, here is the fun part, the original filter that came with the lens has a slightly taller frame, maybe 1mm. Here is the wording difference on the frame of the filters:

Original: Sony 40.5mm Made in Japan
Replacement: Sony Zeiss T* MC Protector 40.5mm VF-405MP Made in Japan Fabrique Au Japon

To my eye the replacement has a slight yellow tint to it compared to the original one.

May 14, 2022 at 08:36 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

Too bad Sony cheapened their expensive super teles...all the A mount drop in filters lenses came with a polarizing filter except the 500reflex which came with a drop in ND filter (all interchangeable).

May 14, 2022 at 09:03 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

AGeoJO wrote:
I havenít pulled mine out at all. Just confirming, you did notice the bluish tint/residue on it after you wiped that with a microfiber cloth and not before, right? The coating on that filter is super sensitive then. I remembered several years ago that there was a filter, maybe it was a Hoya, that was like that.

I would call Sony Pro group to make sure that it is the correct filter for that purpose.

I didnít look closely enough before wiping it with my microfiber. You can only see the blue smear tilting it at a certain angle into the sun. But the new 400 has no such tint. Dawn soap and running water seems to have removed it but I canít even touch it to dry it or it makes a mess again. Used a Rocket blower to dry off the water drops and it is better but not perfect.

It is worth checking the filter as it accumulated dust and supposedly can affect IQ. But after my experience Iíd use a blower and never touch the surface.

I will contact SPS. Thanks for the reply.

May 14, 2022 at 09:45 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

saaketham wrote:

The filter itself can be unscrewed from the holder. So you could probably order any 40.5mm CP and save big $$$

May 14, 2022 at 09:48 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

arbitrage wrote:
The filter itself can be unscrewed from the holder. So you could probably order any 40.5mm CP and save big $$$

You might like to try and leave out the filter, and see how that goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did just that with the Canon 400DOII, and noticed an improvement in detail. This will only be true for a high resolution camera, and for a sub-par screw in filter like Canon's older one, but the thing is, I never noticed Šny downsides on leaving the filter out, despite the endless theoretical ones. Only thing that happens as far as I know, is a slight shift in focus as soon as pulling out the filter, but that is corrected by the AF.

someone sometime will have to let me in on the usefullness of these drop-in filter holders, since I like lenses without them best. They always introduce some kind of impact, be it a slight (or even clear) color cast, a drop in very fine detail, a lesser acuity or clarity. It is not a coincidence that lenses without these drop in filters often seem to punch above their weight, like the Nikon 500PF, or Sony's own 200-600G. Or Olympus latest 150-400mm....

It is just a suggestion, but it is one of the first things I will try as soon as I get mine.

May 14, 2022 at 10:29 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

ChrisMak wrote:
You might like to try and leave out the filter, and see how that goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did just that with the Canon 400DOII, and noticed an improvement in detail. This will only be true for a high resolution camera, and for a sub-par screw in filter like Canon's older one, but the thing is, I never noticed Šny downsides on leaving the filter out, despite the endless theoretical ones. Only thing that happens as far as I know, is a slight shift in focus as soon as pulling out the filter, but that is corrected
...Show more

I remember I asked that question about the purpose of the drop clear filter, someone said it had something to do with the AF? I forgot. No matter how I clean these filters, they never look the same as brand new ones. I don't think it affects image quality though. Or if my pictures are not as good as the masters', I can blame my filters.

May 14, 2022 at 10:38 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

saaketham wrote:

arbitrage wrote:

Drop in CP for the large lenses made by Canon, Nikon, and Sony have always been expensive. They incorporate a way of rotating the filter from outside of the camera lens and are made in small numbers.

The problem that you have if you use a screw in 40.5mm screw in CP is that you will need to remove the filter holder and filter from the lens body, then make the adjustment for your prefrerence for the amount of Polarization and to then return to the lens without shifting the adjustment. Additionally, when following this procedure you increase the likelihood of allowing dust and other debris inside of the lens and potentially to damage the filter.

Rich

May 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

buffalowolff
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

I had the same thing happen on mine, I used zeiss wipes and eventually got the haze off, not sure if I wiped away some magical coating but I've gotten some of my best shots since so I don't think it had any impact.

May 14, 2022 at 01:10 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

I just pulled mine out to check and it was clear... Phew! But I noticed that it had a few visible dust specks. I just used a blower to remove them and I put the filter back in into its place.

May 14, 2022 at 01:59 PM
TGPhotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

I checked when it was brand new. Mine looked clean. I try and avoid touching glass even with lens wipes, micro fiber, brushes or pens and use a blower for as much as possible.

May 14, 2022 at 02:08 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

ChrisMak wrote:
It is just a suggestion, but it is one of the first things I will try as soon as I get mine.

Interesting. So just unscrew the filter and drop the holder back in place? Anyone else recommend this?

May 14, 2022 at 05:18 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

ChrisMak wrote:
You might like to try and leave out the filter, and see how that goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did just that with the Canon 400DOII, and noticed an improvement in detail. This will only be true for a high resolution camera, and for a sub-par screw in filter like Canon's older one, but the thing is, I never noticed Šny downsides on leaving the filter out, despite the endless theoretical ones. Only thing that happens as far as I know, is a slight shift in focus as soon as pulling out the filter, but that is corrected
...Show more

Not a good idea, I think. These long tele lenses are calculated with a flat element in the image path, whose refraction is taken into account. Removing it will give you induced field curvature and possibly a little outer field astigmatism. This is the reason there is a clear/UV filter there is the first place. They want you to be able to use a polariser or ND filter, but if they calculate the lens with a filter, then shipping it without one will be problematic. If they calculate the lens without a filter, then using a pol or ND will be problematic. So they calculate it with a filter, and put in a more or less clear one when it ships so performance is as expected (filters at the front of the lens have no or negligible effect, but at the rear you need to calculate for them)

May 14, 2022 at 05:45 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

saaketham wrote:
Interesting. So just unscrew the filter and drop the holder back in place? Anyone else recommend this?

Nope!

To quote myself from aborter post in this thread:

Not a good idea, I think. These long tele lenses are calculated with a flat element in the image path, whose refraction is taken into account. Removing it will give you induced field curvature and possibly a little outer field astigmatism. This is the reason there is a clear/UV filter there is the first place. They want you to be able to use a polariser or ND filter, but if they calculate the lens with a filter, then shipping it without one will be problematic. If they calculate the lens without a filter, then using a pol or ND will be problematic. So they calculate it with a filter, and put in a more or less clear one when it ships so performance is as expected (filters at the front of the lens have no or negligible effect, but at the rear you need to calculate for them)

May 14, 2022 at 05:45 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

^^^ Yes, that clear filter is a part of the optical design/formula.

May 14, 2022 at 05:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

Yes, according to the user manual for the lenses the clear filter is part of the optics and shouldn't be used without.

Interesting fact...the new Nikon 800PF has a drop in but it doesn't come with a clear filter in place. It is designed without the glass but you can add a CP.

May 14, 2022 at 08:01 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

buffalowolff wrote:
I had the same thing happen on mine, I used zeiss wipes and eventually got the haze off, not sure if I wiped away some magical coating but I've gotten some of my best shots since so I don't think it had any impact.

My Zeiss wipes are being delivered today....recommended by Pius who had to clean some stuff off his 400DOII filter awhile back and said that they worked great....my Costco ones didn't work all that great...we shall see how the Zeiss do soon.

May 14, 2022 at 08:03 PM
williamw

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Has anyone replaced their drop-in filter on 400/600GM?

I noticed that i had a tiny smudge on my clear filter. Just used some zeiss lens wipes. Cleaned off great

May 14, 2022 at 10:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password