New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Table online of fastest lenses ever made

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

The title is the author's, not mine.

This may be worth a browse and there are some useful comments.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKzZoHmyEaVV18iuB7oP-CcAxf_QLwAYhyL-vjYFIBE/edit#gid=0

May 14, 2022 at 03:42 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

Thanks for posting the link. Some valuable information, there.

OTOH, one of the first 'useful comments' that I read is simply a personal opinion, and one that I think is wrong. That is: "Do not modify your lenses! Your camera will be obsolete in two years - a lens will still be around in two generations!..." That's just plain nonsense. In some cases, it makes sense, and other cases, it does not.

May 14, 2022 at 06:47 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

jcolwell wrote:

OTOH, one of the first 'useful comments' that I read is simply a personal opinion, and one that I think is wrong. That is: "Do not modify your lenses! Your camera will be obsolete in two years - a lens will still be around in two generations!..." That's just plain nonsense. In some cases, it makes sense, and other cases, it does not.

I thought that second comment was odd but I don't modify lenses anyway.

May 14, 2022 at 08:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

jcolwell wrote:

+1

Even IF the camera is obsolete in two years ... which is absolutely false ... it is very rare for a lens mount to become obsolete in two years. Not to say that the SOME mounts haven't gone by the wayside of current production, but mount obsolescence is something that occurs over a MUCH longer period of time than just a couple years.

But, if you've modified a non-production mount to a current production mount, then you've actually converted the "obsolete" mount into to something viable.

The comment is (imo) a hyperbolic statement to infer the value of glass vs. bodies. Granted, as technology marches on for bodies, the advances in two years see increases. But, the point of obsolescence being reached in two years is bizzarro (imo). Will today's "cutting edge" camera be yesterday's news in two years when a new "cutting edge" gizmo arrives. Sure, why not. But, that in no way renders the former camera obsolete.

As to the list ... a lot in there to digest.

May 14, 2022 at 08:41 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

RustyBug wrote:
+1

Even IF the camera is obsolete in two years ... which is absolutely false ... it is very rare for a lens mount to become obsolete in two years. Not to say that the SOME mounts haven't gone by the wayside of current production, but mount obsolescence is something that occurs over a MUCH longer period of time than just a couple years.

But, if you've modified a non-production mount to a current production mount, then you've actually converted the "obsolete" mount into to something viable.

The comment is (imo) a hyperbolic statement to infer the value of glass vs. bodies. Granted,
...Show more

I think it' more about respect for classic lenses. If you don't want as it is it someone else might. You wouldn't modify the Mona Lisa, apart from adding a moustache!

May 14, 2022 at 09:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sauseschritt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

Wait, what ? Two generations ? My parents havent given me any lenses.

And modern lenses are usually not fully mechanical lenses, thus they dont survive the end of their mount.

For example, my Nikon F lenses ? You cannot focus the AF lenses manually, their focus throw is too short. You cannot focus the AF-S lenses manually, they have play in their manual focusing.

Canon EF is only worse, for they are usually focus by wire.

Newer systems like Fujifilm X and G, they are all focus by wire.

Oh, and my D750 is now 7 years old, I think.

May 14, 2022 at 12:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

e6filmuser wrote:
I think it' more about respect for classic lenses. If you don't want as it is it someone else might. You wouldn't modify the Mona Lisa, apart from adding a moustache!

I understand the sentiment of the classic, but that wasn't the argument presented in the comment. Instead, the argument presented was the obsolescence of bodies. If the issue was to have respect for the classic lens, then one could likewise make an argument that the regard for the classic character is high enough to warrant the conversion ... particularly, if it is to breathe new life into a "dead" (i.e. not current production) mount. Adapters are typically an option in many cases, too. But (wides in particular) a well engineered, dedicated mount should provide a preferable experience to the bring the most of the the well respected class glass.

Again, that's a debatable / subjective perspective, but ... camera two year obsolescence has zilch to do with anything, regarding lens conversion. Just a poorly presented argument to a comment that I'm not sure we can really know what the point was. I just think that suggesting two year camera obsolescence is sensational hyperbole.

May 14, 2022 at 12:55 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

I just want to point out that I have no interest in "fast" lenses and have put the link here for those who are or are just curious.

May 14, 2022 at 12:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

So do you think they air-lifted the 510/0.95 in and built the observatory around it?

May 14, 2022 at 07:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Table online of fastest lenses ever made

Sauseschritt wrote:
Wait, what ? Two generations ? My parents havent given me any lenses.

And modern lenses are usually not fully mechanical lenses, thus they dont survive the end of their mount.

For example, my Nikon F lenses ? You cannot focus the AF lenses manually, their focus throw is too short. You cannot focus the AF-S lenses manually, they have play in their manual focusing.

Canon EF is only worse, for they are usually focus by wire.

Newer systems like Fujifilm X and G, they are all focus by wire.

Oh, and my D750 is now 7 years old, I think.

I think EF is 'worse' in this situation, because they don't have a manual aperture control ring. OTOH, by far the majority of Canon EF lenses are not focus by wire.

May 15, 2022 at 07:15 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password