New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

Desmolicious
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

The thing about this lens is that classic film look it gives even to digital images.
It is just fantastic in back lit conditions, giving almost a glow but without losing any shadow detail, sharpness or flaring.

Because I should have been working, I took a quick break and snapped the usual suspects, of course annoyed at me disturbing 30 seconds of their 18 hour daily nap.

1st image is DNG straight out of camera with no adjustments by me. 2nd one is slightly edited to lower highlights, up the shadows, lower black point to give it a bit more punch.
The unedited one really reminds me of using it on film, and I like it more.

Anyway, if you don't have this lens go get one! It's tiny, great to use and looks sweet on a chrome body. Who needs 50 1.0 lenses that will just sit in your closet?

M10r @ISO 3200 @ 2.8 @ 1/250

Unedited:

Minor editing:

200% crop:

The centerfold shot:

May 13, 2022 at 08:03 PM
Erichimedes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

I did not know this lens existed in LTM! Where does one buy one? Ebay is turning up zilch...

May 13, 2022 at 09:54 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

I looked unsuccessfully on eBay when Huss first mentioned it. Juha Kannisto found one for sale in Japan, where he lives.

Juha Kannisto wrote:
There's just one (Silver) in Yahoo Japan Auctions for 110K yen (including tax) and it has some wear on the body and the optics are not in pristine condition either:
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e1027976382

I got mine for around 80K yen from fotoborse back in the day in fine condition at one of the Used Camera fairs in Tokyo and they also don't have any stock now. http://fotoborse.blog.jp/tag/Sonnar40mmF2.8HFT

May 13, 2022 at 10:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

Not a lot of 40's to choose from. Good to learn about this one.

May 14, 2022 at 08:48 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

RustyBug wrote:
Not a lot of 40's to choose from. Good to learn about this one.

I have the CV 40 1.2, Summicron 40 f2, CV 40 2.8 Heliar and the Rollei Sonnar 40 2.8.

For general use I'd pick the Rollei or the Summicron - the CV 1.2 is awesome when you need 1.2 (as a film shooter for me that is when light levels sink), and the CV Heliar is super sharp and flare free, but just a bit fiddly to use.
Between the Rollei and the Summicron - the Rollei is much more flare resistant and the haptics are better. Plus it looks nicer..
(The Summicron has f2 and is built better - Leica vs older Cosina barrel)

May 14, 2022 at 12:02 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Rollei Sonnar 40mm 2.8

Here's another Rollei 40mm offering together with the camera:
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/breguetcamera/hk8711/ (copy the link to browser)

Expensive but seems to be in great condition

I'm also a fan of compact 40mm lenses and I currently have the new CV 40/2.8 VM, CV 40/2.8 for VM-E close focus adapter, Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2, CV 40/1.2 for E-mount, Kistar 40/2.4 for E-mount and Sony 40/2.5 G. I had a black version of this Rollei Sonnar 40/2.8 HFT in fine condition but I traded it in when buying something else because it wasn't a great match with the thicker Sony sensor stack. Might have been better to keep it since it's so hard to find in good condition and at a decent price.

May 17, 2022 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password