Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

antoinedoinel

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

Hello all! This is my first post so nice to meet everyone.

I've been enjoying the 4.0 firmware on my Q2. In order to test it out, I've left iDR set to Auto while shooting DNG+JPG. I don't know that I'd keep it on all the time, but so far the results look roughly like what I'm seeing in real life.

Anyway! My question is: can anyone find anywhere in metadata that the iDR setting used gets written? When the photos are viewed in camera, you get an icon letting you know if it was used and at what setting. So the metadata must be somewhere…right? Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2022 at 11:45 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

iDR being "on" is probably just written to the EXIF data and not embedded in the DNGs as some kind of instructions that could be followed.

May 13, 2022 at 11:08 PM
antoinedoinel

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

Unfortunately I'm not seeing it anywhere in the JPG EXIF. So strange. Maybe they call it something else.

May 14, 2022 at 12:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

I wonder why iDR is only available on the Q series and not the M series. I heard somewhere that it affects JPEG files, but it also influences auto exposure when shooting in DNG only mode, making it more conservative to preserve highlights.

May 02, 2024 at 11:09 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I wonder why iDR is only available on the Q series and not the M series. I heard somewhere that it affects JPEG files, but it also influences auto exposure when shooting in DNG only mode, making it more conservative to preserve highlights.

IDR is also available on the SL3. My M11 has an *extended DR* setting in the jpeg settings. Not sure if it's the same thing or if iDR is an evolution of that.

Gordon

May 03, 2024 at 02:02 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

Fred Miranda wrote:

Similar to iDR, since V2.0.1, M11 and M11-P have eDR. Extended Dynamic Range

SL2 also has iDR since v 3.0

May 03, 2024 at 06:40 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

antoinedoinel wrote:
Hello all! This is my first post so nice to meet everyone.

I've been enjoying the 4.0 firmware on my Q2. In order to test it out, I've left iDR set to Auto while shooting DNG+JPG. I don't know that I'd keep it on all the time, but so far the results look roughly like what I'm seeing in real life.

Anyway! My question is: can anyone find anywhere in metadata that the iDR setting used gets written? When the photos are viewed in camera, you get an icon letting you know if it was used and at what setting. So
...Show more

Welcome!

I don't have a Leica Q camera but I also see the eDR icon on the Leica M11's display when used, but also I'm not finding any clear indication of eDR in EXIF. Same with a JPEG file from the Leica SL2 using iDR.

May 03, 2024 at 07:24 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

LBJ2 wrote:
Welcome!

I don't have a Leica Q camera but I also see the eDR icon on the Leica M11's display when used, but also I'm not finding any clear indication of eDR in EXIF. Same with a JPEG file from the Leica SL2 using iDR.

While the M10-R lacks iDR or eDR capabilities (), with out of the camera images, I consistently achieve better highlight protection and capture more details in the shadows when shooting in JPG mode. It seems that these improvements might already be built into the camera. For instance, to achieve similar highlight exposure as in a DNG file, I often have to substantially reduce the highlights. It appears that Leica's formula for processing M10-R JPGs prioritizes preserving highlight data.

Also, I've noticed that the JPEGs from the M10-R resemble the images from my M9!

May 07, 2024 at 03:32 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

Fred Miranda wrote:
While the M10-R lacks iDR or eDR capabilities (), with out of the camera images, I consistently achieve better highlight protection and capture more details in the shadows when shooting in JPG mode. It seems that these improvements might already be built into the camera. For instance, to achieve similar highlight exposure as in a DNG file, I often have to substantially reduce the highlights. It appears that Leica's formula for processing M10-R JPGs prioritizes preserving highlight data.

Also, I've noticed that the JPEGs from the M10-R resemble the images from my M9!

We may never know..from Leica. But I am familiar with your skill/talent for observing nuances, so you are probably on to something regarding M10-R JPEGs that could very well have included yet un-named feature qualities of the later named iDR/eDR.

I don't have any M9 file experience. But I do remember the blind comparison images in this thread that you unsurprisingly discerned correctly: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1808508/0#16244316. ( scroll up for images) 😎

May 07, 2024 at 04:32 PM
SrMi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

Fred Miranda wrote:

Unlike other manufacturers, Leica's iDR does not seem to affect exposure and, therefore, does not affect DNG files. It only seems to apply to JPEGs. I use it on High to brighten the shadows for easier framing. It does affect the histogram, but it does not seem to affect the clipping information, which is my only necessary information.

May 09, 2024 at 10:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica iDR in Metadata?

SrMi wrote:
Unlike other manufacturers, Leica's iDR does not seem to affect exposure and, therefore, does not affect DNG files. It only seems to apply to JPEGs. I use it on High to brighten the shadows for easier framing. It does affect the histogram, but it does not seem to affect the clipping information, which is my only necessary information.

Thanks for confirming. Despite the M10-R not having iDR/eDR, I've noticed that when I shoot in DNG + JPG, the JPGs have significantly more highlight detail, so there seems to be a similar effect happening. Recently, I've been using JPGs for casual shots and I'm pleased with the colors. There are options to tweak the JPG output for more contrast and saturation, which I like. The JPGs from the camera remind me of the M9 colors, unlike the DNGs processed with Adobe profiles. Giuseppe, from Cobalt profiles, agrees

May 09, 2024 at 11:06 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.