New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

marsguy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

Well I've seen it all - a $5 item in a box 100x its size with 20 airbags, and a $1600 item in a completely unpadded bag.

I've got several zooms and I don't know if any of them have had decentering or collimation problems, but I've also never had one sent completely unpadded. What are some good things I could photograph to make sure the lens is not damaged? I'm pretty upset with them right now but if the lens is OK, then I guess all's well that ends well. But, I want to be absolutely certain that the lens performs as it should, or I'm going to get a replacement. Any thoughts are appreciated.

May 12, 2022 at 07:29 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

The lens comes in a well padded box. Sure I would want in another box but not the end of the world.

May 12, 2022 at 08:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

To be clear, you aren't saying that they tossed the lens in a "skimpy bag," right?

Reading between the lines, am I correct that the lens was in the Fujifilm box that it ships in, and that this box containing the lens was in one of those familiar plastic shipping bags that we're so familiar with?

Assuming this is the case, your lens was unlikely to suffer any damage in shipment since the padding in those Fujifilm boxes is pretty significant and designed that way to deal with the prospect of rough handling in shipment. Although we don't like to think about such things, if a lens in such a box fell off the tale to the floor it wouldn't likely be damaged.

I've gotten other items shipped this way — in the original manufacturers box only — recently. It seems to be a trend.

On the other hand, putting the box into another box, despite the use of a lot more shipping materials, does reassure me, too. Even if just for marketing/branding reasons, I think that putting expensive stuff in plastic bags for shipping might not be a great idea.

Bottom line: If I were in your shoes I'd probably at least share my reaction with the shipper. If the box doesn't show any obvious sights of brutal treatment, the odds are very good that your lens is fine, but do test it carefully.

Good luck.

May 13, 2022 at 09:28 AM
marsguy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

Right, it was shipped in the actual Fuji box. I wouldn't say that their egg carton-type molds are what I would describe as "pretty significant" padding, but it's not bad.

So far I have taken some photos comparing it with my 16-55 and my 100-400, at ~55mm, ~100mm, and ~140mm, at f/5.6 and f/8. It seems to be sharper than my 16-55 at ~55mm at both apertures (sadly - as I like that lens in general), but the 100-400 beats it quite obviously at both ~100mm and ~140mm. I think my 100-400 is a pretty good sample but the 50-140 is supposed to be "stunningly sharp" according to most reviews I've found, and so far it's only just OK. And, I haven't done enough tests yet, but I swear the top left corner is sharper than the top right. I plan to take it out later today to see if I can confirm that.

Here are some comparisons at f/8, with the 50-140 on the left, and either the 16-55 or 100-400 on the right. This lens seems really weak at 140mm. Kind of concerning.

~55mm

~100mm

~140mm

May 13, 2022 at 10:40 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

My experience is that the 50-140 (which I own) is a very sharp lens in most cases, and that the 16-55 (which I also own), while being excellent, is a bit less sharp in some situations. I do not have a 100-400, so I can't offer anything there.

To do a meaningful test of the lenses you really need to put the camera on a tripod, use a remote release (or delay), use the electronic shutter option, and check your focus very carefully. I'd rely on manual focus using focus aids rather than introducing the variable of the AF system.

Otherwise there are too many variables to be sure of the results.

That would also let you confirm if you have a corner performance issue or not.

Do keep expectations realistic, though, and also take images through your like post-processing workflow to see what you actually will end up with in the real world. By the way, f/8 is not the sharpest aperture for testing APS-C lenses — more likely to be something in the f/5.6 range or even larger in some cases. Given the difference in aperture ranges between the two lenses, this would be more true with the 50-140.

Dan

May 13, 2022 at 11:16 AM
marsguy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

gdanmitchell wrote:
My experience is that the 50-140 (which I own) is a very sharp lens in most cases, and that the 16-55 (which I also own), while being excellent, is a bit less sharp in some situations. I do not have a 100-400, so I can't offer anything there.

To do a meaningful test of the lenses you really need to put the camera on a tripod, use a remote release (or delay), use the electronic shutter option, and check your focus very carefully. I'd rely on manual focus using focus aids rather than introducing the variable of the AF system.
...Show more

I was on a carbon fiber tripod with OIS off, mounted on the lens foot, with 2sec delay, on my X-T4 with EFCS with manual focus with "back button" focus. There were occasional bouts of wind but I did my best to time the shots in between them. Tests at f/5.6 showed basically the same results (slightly sharper across all lenses) but the 50-140 shot is blurrier than expected, and I expect the wind blurred the shot.

I'll head out later with just the 50-140 to see if I can get some more variety as well.

May 13, 2022 at 12:50 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

These lenses are so advanced that without professional calibration equipment, I don't think there is any meaningful way to test the lens for damage. Obviously, you can assess egregious physical damage (grinding sounds in the zoom and focus rings, loose elements, exterior scratches or dents, etc). Beyond that, you'd just be guessing.

The last thing I would do is to test it against a completely different lens. Ideally, you'd want to obtain another 50-140 (perhaps you can rent one?) as a "control".

If you're really concerned, you might want to return it (if possible), and ask for a new one to be shipped within a larger padded box.

May 13, 2022 at 01:12 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

That stinks. While it may be okay that the lens box can handle shipping I hate when Amazon does this. They just shouldn't. For the cost of these cameras and lenses it the LEAST they can do.

May 13, 2022 at 01:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marsguy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

Well, I went back to just make sure focus was as good as I could get it. The longer your FL gets, the more critical focus becomes. I tried 50/70/90/140mm at f/4, f/5.6, and f/8, and found that there was some varying sharpness of the text on the keypad which I'm attributing to focus differences (refocused for every FL and every aperture change).

I managed to get what looks like an almost equivalent shot between my 100-400 (from yesterday) and the 50-140 (from today), at f/8, OIS off, ISO160, with a backpack hanging from my tripod. The 50-140 is ever so slightly softer.

Just from this comparison alone, I'm less inclined to think there is a collimation problem, since center sharpness seems pretty good as long as you nail focus. Still taking it out later today to take some real world shots to see how they look.

May 13, 2022 at 02:11 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

marsguy wrote:
I was on a carbon fiber tripod with OIS off, mounted on the lens foot, with 2sec delay, on my X-T4 with EFCS with manual focus with "back button" focus. There were occasional bouts of wind but I did my best to time the shots in between them. Tests at f/5.6 showed basically the same results (slightly sharper across all lenses) but the 50-140 shot is blurrier than expected, and I expect the wind blurred the shot.

I'll head out later with just the 50-140 to see if I can get some more variety as well.

That test seems like a pretty reasonable one, and I don't see any major issues with the approach except for perhaps the aperture and the wind — though the effect of the aperture would be minimal. (Though, still, it would more likely reflect a divergence from the best performance of the lens on the 50-140 rather than on the 100-400 with its smaller maximum aperture.)

One small thing, though it could be important: I'd manually focus the lens with the rear display magnified and the edge-highlighting electronic focusing aid turned on. There are ways in which AF can give you less than best performance in a test like this.

Based on my experience with my 50-140, I would not expect to see the difference between the 50-140 and the 100-400 in your examples once all of the potential variables are fully controlled. If it doesn't get any better than that at 150mm I would probably contact the shipper...

Edit: after I posted this I saw your message above mine where it looks like you managed to get better focus on the 50-140 examples. I think that the new sample looks pretty good.

They aren't identical, but I would have a hard time saying which is sharper, especially given the different sizes of the subject, different brightness, and different color balance. (Again, careful testing of lenses really depends on eliminating to the extent possible any variables that might skew the evaluation.) If I try really hard I might convince myself that some elements of the left shot look sharper... but then I start to see some things in the right shot that might be better. Bottom line: they both look pretty good, and if you add typical post-processing sharpening I think both should look great.

One more thing: With long lenses, the "backpack hanging from the tripod" may reduce (and perhaps reduce the frequency of) wind-caused vibrations, but it won't eliminate them. The problem has a couple of parts. First, the wind acts directly on these longer lenses, creating vibrations even with a very solid base. Secondly, as I think you are figuring out, the longer the focal length the greater the magnitude of the blur from a given amount of breeze/wind. I might get away with shooting an ultra-wide in some wind that would make shooting a 100-400 almost impossible.

Dan

May 13, 2022 at 02:19 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

If I were sent an expensive lens in only a padded envelope (and in its box) I would return it and ask for a better packed lens. But I am weird that way.

May 13, 2022 at 02:35 PM
liggy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

Sharona wrote:
If I were sent an expensive lens in only a padded envelope (and in its box) I would return it and ask for a better packed lens. But I am weird that way.

I’ve bought 2 lenses from Amazon. Never again. Both times they arrived just like the OP’s.
Thin bubble envelope. OEM box inside - no padding.

Luckily both are fine but still - that is just wrong.

May 14, 2022 at 12:36 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

marsguy wrote:

Well, I went back to just make sure focus was as good as I could get it. The longer your FL gets, the more critical focus becomes. I tried 50/70/90/140mm at f/4, f/5.6, and f/8, and found that there was some varying sharpness of the text on the keypad which I'm attributing to focus differences (refocused for every FL and every aperture change).

I managed to get what looks like an almost equivalent shot between my 100-400 (from yesterday) and the 50-140 (from today), at f/8, OIS off, ISO160, with a backpack hanging from my tripod. The 50-140 is ever so
...Show more

Are these 100% crops? Both look crappy to me. I would expect much better at f2.8 and this is f8. Maybe I am now spoiled by the GFX. I used to own 50-140mm f2.8 and it was one sharp lens.

May 14, 2022 at 01:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

bobby350z wrote:
Are these 100% crops? Both look crappy to me. I would expect much better at f2.8 and this is f8. Maybe I am now spoiled by the GFX. I used to own 50-140mm f2.8 and it was one sharp lens.

Judging from the nature of the noise in the images, I'd bet that these are 100% magnification crops (though they display even larger than that in my. browser window) of unsharpened originals.

FWIW, f/2.8 is not the optimal aperture for sharpness on this lens — or on any f/2.8 lens for that matter — and at f/8 there will be at least some effect from diffraction blur. I'd guess that something more like f/5.6 would be optimal, though the difference would likely be quite small, especially after sharpening.

If my assumptions are correct, I would not say that we're looking at "crappy" performance here. And, yes a 50MP or 100MP GFX miniMF system with excellent lenses is going to resolve more detail and, if focused carefully, be "sharper" than a 26MP APS-C system.

May 14, 2022 at 06:21 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Amazon shipped my 50-140 in a skimpy bag

You might try a lens target to evaluate the symmetry of focus over the image. I did that on a lens a couple of months ago and there was definitely a problem. Also, the Fuji 50-140mm that I had was very sharp. The images that you posted (while I understand are probably cropped) do not seem as sharp that they should be at f/8.

If you have doubts, at least Amazon has a good return policy. Their packaging has gotten worse and worse over time, unfortunately. And often, nonsensical.

May 14, 2022 at 06:36 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password