Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

So it has taken me about 6yrs to fill a 1TB drive on my 27iMac. This is my second iMac so the info from first was transferred to my second but now I am full. I recently retired, my two Sony bodies are 42mp and 50mp so no small files for pics anymore.

Opinions and suggestions appreciated on whether to go larger internal HD or go to external or is it easy to move all photos off main HD and place on external drive?

My current machine is a 2017 3.4ghz Quadcore i5 with 16GB memory. HD is a 1TB Fusion drive.

Karl

May 12, 2022 at 06:43 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

It sounds like you place little value on your files and do not have a backup. Personally I would not use anything less than 2 external drives to backup my data. I actually have three: one near the computer but only turned on for backup or retrieval of old files. Another is in a fire safe in the basement, well hidden. Another is in my detached garage.

May 12, 2022 at 07:34 PM
jslaven

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

It's fairly easy to move files off to an external HDD. You can find sizes ranging from 1tb all the way up to 24tb or more online or at your local store.

My recommendation is to grab 2 hard drives in the 4tb range. 4tb should last you awhile. The second drive is for redundancy (or skip if you want to roll the dice haha). These can be picked up for $100 on BHPhoto or you can probably look around for a sale:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501548-REG/wd_wdbpkj0040bbk_wesn_my_passport_4tb_portable.html?ap=y&smp=y

I like these small hard drives because you don't have to plug in a chunky extra power supply to use them. Just plug into the USB 3.0 (blue colored) port on your computer, use disk utility to format the drive, and you are all set to copy your files over. On Mac it's as simple as a drag and drop.

May 12, 2022 at 07:56 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Karl the simple solution is to get an external HD. Many different varieties to choose from regardless of the one you choose, plug it in and you can copy what you want over to it then delete the same from the internal. A 4TB drive should be more than fine even with the larger Sony files.

May 13, 2022 at 02:07 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Your machine is 5 years old so you have to decide how much money you want to invest in upgrades vs new computer.
I suspect you have a Fusion drive (combined HD and SSD)

I would recommend moving to full SSD and a fast 4TB. Here is link to some drives to consider:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-27-inch/2013-2019

I would also double your memory to 32GB

Backups is a secondary issue and of course should be covered as well. I was just focusing on your primary system. For backups, I use an 8TB external HD (speed less important) and also an offsite backup service called BackBlaze.

Just suggestions to consider

May 14, 2022 at 12:03 PM
amv8
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

When I first read this thread, I was thinking along the lines of what John Wheeler asked. Can you move to a new computer? Your iMac is 5 years old, is a mid-range model, and the Fusion drive is not known for performance. If it works for you, I'd consider a new Mac (assuming you want to stay on a Mac) and purchase a fast external drive especially if you travel for your photography in conjunction with a laptop. If you also use a laptop you can easily share access to the photos between your desktop and laptop. I could give you some specific recommendations on external drives, but it is somewhat dependent on what you end up doing with your iMac.

May 14, 2022 at 03:07 PM
Ray Swindle
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

In addition to the helpful comments above, you might want to rethink your storage process. I was taught to keep applications on my internal hard drive and any frequently used files such as current email, spreadsheets and user manuals. All of the products from the applications are created on the computer, then saved to an external hard drive (plural for backup drives if you need them). I have used computers (Mac and PC) for years and never came close to maxing out the internal hard drive. In fact, my 18 month old Mac Book Pro has less than 140 gb on the hard drive, but I have about 6 tb of external hard drives from the products made by the laptop.

Good luck.

May 15, 2022 at 10:48 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

You need three external drives, two containing identical backups of images, paperwork and other important documents. The other drive is for Time Machine to run two or three times a week. After backing up all those items you can delete the RAW files from the iMac.

May 16, 2022 at 07:33 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

I save money on all my Macs by only getting 250GB SSD drives. I've been storing RAW files on an EHD, backed up to another EHD since day one. The catalogue etc is on the HD (SSD) and is backed up to a 3rd EHD using Time Machine. My SSD is never more than about ½ full. If I ran more programs, etc then I'd get a larger SSD.

I'd store files temporarily on an HD but not permanently. When I travel I create a travel catalogue and then merge it into the master catalogue (which is on the HD) when I get home. LrC moves the RAW files to the EHD automatically.

FIY. Adobe recommends 20% of free hard drive space for LrC. Unofficial rule of thumb is 100GB.

Typically the best way to move files around is using LrC. If you plan in our case move a huge amount of files it is recommended to use the OS. Then re-establish the link to the catalogue, which is easy. Do this at the root folder. Never, never re-import anything.

May 18, 2022 at 09:39 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Many Many Many thanks!

Some of this just goes a wee bit over my head though. It is crunch time now and time to make a move. I do think I need to move to the new M1 chip machine. It makes sense as Zenon Char points out to work with a smaller internal and go BIG for storage external.
I have contemplated the new Mac Studio in the base form with perhaps full capacity memory since it can't be upgraded later and working with a smaller internal SSD drive like 1TB. So then the choice is what to pick for an external drive? Thinking like 4TB range?

Then again now I would have to buy a display to go with it? I am not a pro, I have been using my 27 iMac 5k display and like it but but what out there in the 27 to 32 is a good value on a monitor for a nature photo guy? The camera in the monitor is not important, speakers are not important though built-ins help keep a cleaner desk but audio is not critical.

I do sincerely appreciate all the comments, got a little behind on this project but now it is on the front burner and I need to make some immediate decisions so let me know other thoughts and suggestions please and thanks

Karl

May 20, 2022 at 04:29 PM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

For monitors, like everything else, it depends on the budget. 27", the cheapest I would pick SW2700PT < $500 with tax for a refurb one.
https://www.benq.com/en-us/refurbished-monitors/designer-and-photography-monitors/sw2700pt-refurbished.html

if you want 4k, I would go for 32". I just got the SW321c and so far it is great
https://www.benq.com/en-us/refurbished-monitors/designer-and-photography-monitors/sw321c-refurbished.html

May 20, 2022 at 06:20 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Since you are use to 5k on the iMac, you might find 4k a bit off the mark. 4k units are great monitors but the resolution and text size will be different. Some have no problem with it, others do. Eizo & Benq 4k monitors are two of the better choices. If at all possible, seeing one in person before buying would help. Since I've been using an iMac for many years, my upgrade choice was the 5k Studio Display. Waiting for it to arrive next month.

May 21, 2022 at 06:38 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Hi Karl,

I use the Mac mini (intel version) and simply use two external USB-C G-Tech Drives (Western Digital). Both are 4 terabytes and I have them both split into two partitions that covers image storage, media (music and movies) and one serves as a time machine. The nice thing about these drives is I can daisy chain them and add more later while still only using one USB-C port on the Mini.

If you plan on updating to the new Studio, I would still recommend using external drives and save $$$ on upgrading the size of the SSD. My Mini has a 500GB HDD which I basically use for the OS and applications, and I've not had any issues. As others have mentioned, having a secondary backup is critical in avoiding the heartbreaking loss of a failed drive. For this purpose, I also copy my "keeper" images and important documents onto a portable 5TB drive.

BTW, having two displays is sweet!

Cheers,

Greg

May 21, 2022 at 09:33 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

Again, I like CamperJim's advice above.

I do the bulk of my storage in two external drives. I like the Enterprise grade Toshibas and when needed, buy each new one from from OWC. Up to a 16TB now.

Lately, for daily work on a manuscript/photo article I may be writing, I've added a detachable 1TB SSD (solid state drive). This way, I do not have to power up and down the much more vulnerable HHD's (the Toshibas mentioned above) with their moving platters and whatever else is in there that eventually fails.

May 22, 2022 at 08:42 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

NAS (network attached storage) provides a simpler way to achieve redundancy. Synology sells bare multi-drive enclosures and you put whatever capacity and speed disks you want in them. I have used their devices for many years. Requires some very basic knowledge of hardware and networks but the overall process is very plug and play today.

May 22, 2022 at 08:57 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

schlotz wrote:
Since you are use to 5k on the iMac, you might find 4k a bit off the mark. 4k units are great monitors but the resolution and text size will be different. Some have no problem with it, others do. Eizo & Benq 4k monitors are two of the better choices. If at all possible, seeing one in person before buying would help. Since I've been using an iMac for many years, my upgrade choice was the 5k Studio Display. Waiting for it to arrive next month.

That 5k is 27", too small, and shiny. Personally I would say BenQ SW321C is better, for editing wise.

Edited on May 22, 2022 at 09:14 AM · View previous versions

May 22, 2022 at 09:08 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

jeffbuzz wrote:
NAS (network attached storage) provides a simpler way to achieve redundancy. Synology sells bare multi-drive enclosures and you put whatever capacity and speed disks you want in them. I have used their devices for many years. Requires some very basic knowledge of hardware and networks but the overall process is very plug and play today.

My comment would be unless you go for 10Gbe ports, they are slower. If one doesn't need sharing the NAS with multiple computers then direct attached storage will be easier and much faster. For some reason Synology/QNAP don't make Thunderbolt 3/4 2/4 bay enclosures for direct connectivity. I have QNAP TR002 which is USB3.2 but only using it with slower WD red drives right now.

May 22, 2022 at 09:11 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

bobby350z wrote:
My comment would be unless you go for 10Gbe ports, they are slower. If one doesn't need sharing the NAS with multiple computers then direct attached storage will be easier and much faster. For some reason Synology/QNAP don't make Thunderbolt 3/4 2/4 bay enclosures for direct connectivity. I have QNAP TR002 which is USB3.2 but only using it with slower WD red drives right now.

Yes, for connection to a single computer, a direct attached USB / thunderbolt enclosure can offer better bandwidth. There are lots of variables involved but generally that is true. The disks on both sides of the connection all need to be fast enough so that the cable connection itself is the bottleneck. Slow disk(s) in a fast enclosure won't be any faster than 1Gbe over IP.

My point was just that there are external storage options to offload the storage burden from your local PC. Simplest thing is plugging in an external USB disk with whatever space you need. As you step up the complexity ladder you get other benefits like greater redundancy, multi user connectivity and external internet accessibility. All or none of which might matter.

You can get direct attached "ROC" (RAID On Chip) enclosures

May 22, 2022 at 11:08 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

I backup to the cloud. Cheap, easy, off-site storage. I use OneDrive. Comes with my Microsoft Office subscription and is seamless on my Mac.

May 27, 2022 at 09:30 AM
Charlie San
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · iMac 1TB HD is full now what?

I am PC oriented and anal so I backup perhaps too much which is fortunate, because I had one external fail recently. I keep my RAW files backed up on several externals including one I keep in a Safety Deposit box at a bank. My belief is that I can recover anything if I got the source file.

I do have a question re monitors. I am thinking of getting a Mac Studio too but would like to get a smart monitor that would also be good for image post processing too. Any recommendations?

May 27, 2022 at 11:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.