Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Buttons or dials?
a9 / a9M2 / a1 style dials
a7 buttons

Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

jeffbuzz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

Having struggled with the inconsistency of using both interface styles side by side, I'm curious what others prefer. Do you like the a9 / a9M2 / a1 style left side drive and AF mode dial? Or do you prefer the a7 button controls?

May 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

Love the top left dial on my A9, wish the A7R4 had it.

May 11, 2022 at 11:24 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

Having that dial (or dials, actually) frees up other button for more customization. Yes, I voted for the first option, in other words.

May 11, 2022 at 11:24 AM
jeffbuzz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

My close-up vision is really struggling. Adjusting settings entirely through the diopter corrected EVF using buttons is much easier for me. Obviously this does not effect everyone the same way. But I am finding the overall a7 button-centric design smoother to interact with. The fact that I'm using a7 and a9 bodies side by side may also be adding to my struggles. Likely if I was only using dial style bodies I wouldn't have to think about it so much.

May 11, 2022 at 11:49 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

I like the A9 and A1 style but I wear bifocals too so that helps see externally the deck of the cams. Best of both worlds for me as I wear my glasses always.

May 11, 2022 at 11:55 AM
wordfool
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

TBH I set that left dial and never really touch it again. I live in AF-C and my frame rate rarely changes (I just train my trigger finger in the art of restraint

May 11, 2022 at 12:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

Me as well Iím on AFC and never come off it. I use AEL button mapped to AF/MF toggle

May 11, 2022 at 01:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

I like having the A1 Drive mode dial. I just leave it in AF-C but I do switch often between 15, 20 and 30FPS. I like how quick I can do it with that dial. I can't recall how easy it is to do with the A7RIV...I don't think I had a button setup to do it as I always wanted the max 10FPS.

May 11, 2022 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeffbuzz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

The statistics are perfectly clear. 85% of photographers are totally crazy!

May 13, 2022 at 09:04 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

A7iv > A9 > A7 buttons

May 13, 2022 at 09:11 AM
guyharrison
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

I detest dedicated dials and buttons. They are design throwbacks to manual cameras that are no longer needed.

Every dial on a camera should be customizable. Every button as well. No excuses.

Consider the Nikon D-850. On the left is a button cluster of four large buttons instead of a dedicated dial for only one thing such as exposure or drive mode. While those buttons trigger certain specific functions, modern cameras could use those buttons for any function, as the A1 shows. Imagine being able to set one button to activate exposure mode, one for drive mode, one for focus mode, one for bracketing mode. Then, once these are set, they can be memorized to the custom C-1 type memory modes without having the awkward kludging of still having to "revisit"the drive mode, or focus mode dedicated dials. Even worse, a dedicated (wasted) exposure compensation dial? Please . . .

And, I say this having cut my teeth on the best manual cameras of the film era with all dedicated dials. But the design advances first in the Canon EOS 1 and then in recent Nikon bodies shows what is possible. The best modern camera body in this regard is the Panasonic S1/S1R but even they have the dedicated mode dial.

Sony could easily take the lead in camera ergonomics even with their small bodies--I wish they would really step up and do that.

May 13, 2022 at 12:44 PM
blakeadam

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

On the left is a button cluster of four large buttons instead of a dedicated dial for only one thing such as exposure or drive mode.

While those buttons trigger certain specific functions, modern cameras could use those buttons for any function, as the A1 shows.

Imagine being able to set one button to activate exposure mode, one for drive mode, one for focus mode, one for bracketing mode.

Then, once these are set, they can be memorized to the custom C-1 type memory modes without having the awkward kludging of still having to "revisit"the drive mode, or focus mode dedicated dials. Even worse, a dedicated (wasted) exposure compensation dial? Please.

I say this having cut my teeth on the best manual cameras of the film era with all dedicated dials. But the design advances first in the Canon EOS 1 and then in recent Nikon bodies shows what is possible.

The best modern camera body in this regard is the Panasonic S1/S1R but even they have the dedicated mode dial.

Steinco Industrial Solutions, Inc.

May 13, 2022 at 03:27 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

I just moved over to an a1, after having rented one previously. I like the concept of the dials fine, but it is really annoying when the dial slips and doesnít stay locked. Going in and out of a case was enough to move it from AF-C to MF. Annoying.

Learning curve either way.

Jim

May 14, 2022 at 08:39 AM
Daran
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

I like the mechanical switches, but only if they have a fall back. So the aperture ring is perfect as I can easily switch to auto and use programmable buttons instead. This helps lots when you mix equipment.

I also appreciate the ability to recall settings using the 1-2-3 memory modes on the dial, but those can not reprogram the dial on the left of the A9/A1. So those dials should IMHO have an "A" setting that falls back to software & buttons. The way it is now, there are many limitations to recalling setups: IBIS, drive mode, AF-mode. The drive mode can be overridden via recall custom set, but that has its own limits (must keep a button pressed, can't be combined with other recall functions, etc).

What I'd really like to see gone is PASM. Instead the three exposure related functions should have their auto-modes activated independently. This is particularly annoying when you have a memory mode in e.g. M and can't change that to A or vice versa.

May 14, 2022 at 04:30 PM
trainerKEN
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you prefer a9 style dials or a7 buttons?

I own the α1 and the α9II and had the α9 before, the dial is cool but I really wish they gave you the option to do the same under the "Fn" quick menu. Kinda like how they made it so if you don't like using the aperture dial on lenses, you have the option to use the dials on the body instead. Sometimes, while locked in on a subject, looking through the EVF, I rather not have to involve my left hand (to change settings) and/or pull my eye away from the EVF... With the α7 series, I would just thumb press the Fn button and right there, I can change fps and AF mode MUCH quicker.

But, that's just me and my .02

All THAT being said, I'm in AF-C and 30/20fps most of the time

May 15, 2022 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password