New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Tim Carpenter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

I had an original 5D many years ago and absolutely loved that camera. The color and dynamic range were quite nice. That camera was replaced by what I've been using for several years, a 6D Mark I. The 6D has been a great camera (images are not quite like the 5D were), but the low light performance has been great.

I have not been thrilled with the 6D for landscapes. Image size doesn't support a lot of cropping and generally I'm not pleased with the dynamic range. I was thinking that maybe I should be looking at the R5, but that becomes a cascading series of upgrade activities. I already have the EF 24-105L F4, 80-220 F2.8, and 24-70 2.8 (which doesn't get much use). I came across posts on the 5DRs that state that this is a great camera for the price right now. I expect my work with it would be some nature photography when hiking (handheld) and landscape work on a tripod. I'd also like to try some night sky photography. If I'm shooting on a tripod for low light conditions, do the ISO limitations matter? Should I just bite the bullet and switch to the R series (I'm hesitant because I've not been shooting as much as I would like and am trying to get back out there...5Drs is a lower risk financially). I would like to try to do some bird photography as well (something I have no experience with but am intrigued by).

Finally, if the 5DRs is the way to go, any hesitation with buying refurbished from Canon vs new? Canon has them on and off for $1199.

Appreciate the wisdom of y'all.

May 10, 2022 at 08:54 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

If you can afford the R5, get that. The only thing you'll need to update is to get a lens adapter, plus you'll have even greater dynamic range over the 5DSR by quite a bit, much better faster focusing and a smaller, lighter package to boot. Nothing wrong with the 5DSR other than getting long in the tooth, y'know, being seven years old at this point. No issues buying a refurb from Canon as you'll get a new warranty. And that original 5D, well, if you were happy with its very limited dynamic range, and absolutely pathetic auto focus, you probably won't know what to do with the R5.

May 10, 2022 at 09:17 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Save yourself a bunch of money and get the 5DS R. You will love it.

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2x III lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/500s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x III lens    420mm    f/4.5    1/2500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/400s    6400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/4.0    1/500s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x III lens    420mm    f/5.6    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 10, 2022 at 10:11 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1755693

May 10, 2022 at 10:18 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Tim Carpenter wrote:
I had an original 5D many years ago and absolutely loved that camera. The color and dynamic range were quite nice. That camera was replaced by what I've been using for several years, a 6D Mark I. The 6D has been a great camera (images are not quite like the 5D were), but the low light performance has been great.

I have not been thrilled with the 6D for landscapes. Image size doesn't support a lot of cropping and generally I'm not pleased with the dynamic range. I was thinking that maybe I should be looking at the R5, but
...Show more

I read your question almost as being more about "how much should I invest and in what?" than about the 5DsR specifically.

Reading between the lines — "(I'm hesitant because I've not been shooting as much as I would like and am trying to get back out there...5Drs is a lower risk financially)" — I sense that perhaps your interest in making photographs has flagged a bit or that for some other reason you are not photographing as much. And perhaps you think that getting a better camera will renew that interest.

This isn't a sure thing, to be honest. It might have that effect. It might not. It might be that the effect is only temporary. After all, if "only" having a 6D leaves you without the inclination to photograph, it isn't crazy to suspect that having only a 5DsR (when newer stuff is available) will leave you in the same situation before long. But this is speculation, and only your own self-reflection or experimentation will determine the truth.

One of my systems is built around a 5DsR, and it is certainly a fine camera that can produce excellent quality images across a range of photographic genres. If you need very high sensor resolution — likely for larger prints — it can certainly provide that. If you were to buy one, a Canon refurb can save you some money and reduce some of the unknowns of a used purchase.

If cost isn't the issue and you only buy cameras infrequently... and it is time to update... that would play into your consideration of the R5 versus the 5DsR, too. If you go a long time between upgrades, it may make sense to move to the newer mirrorless system now... since otherwise you'll likely be using the DSLR for a long time. On the other hand, you could use it for a long time if you get a good one!

Sorry to say, there's a lot to ponder here, and you'll probalby have to struggle with the choice a bit.

May 10, 2022 at 10:30 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

You seem to be saying that the dynamic range of the 5D is better than the 6D, so it'd be nice to get a bit of background on that. In theory the 6D has more low ISO dynamic range than the 5D, and about the same as the 5DsR. Looking at Bill Claff's site there is a 6D marked ML, presumably magic lantern I'd guess, that has much higher dynamic range. So you might look into that. Of course to get the better DR, you might need less than ISO 400.

How high of ISO are you interested in? I downloaded a 6400 5DsR file and thought it looked great. The 5Ds has an AA filter and I believe higher ISO settings up to around 25600. So it might be a good choice. It might be tough to beat the 6D as far as high ISO, online files look really nice. But I doubt you'd have much trouble using the 5DsR lower ISO on a tripod.

I do think the 5DsR is a good, maybe even great, deal at the current prices. Hard to imagine 50mp resolution going obsolete anytime soon, although I suppose anything can happen. But it's not like 60mp is much higher. Yes if you are looking at anR5 you can adapt current lenses.

May 10, 2022 at 11:54 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

A few random thoughts for you to consider:

So honestly, when I saw the price of the R5 and its spec sheet I thought two things

1. This thing is freaking amazing, I want one
2. I could buy an R6 and a 5DSR for the same price.

Now there are some R5 refurbs out there that help with the cost, and the cost of the memory cards is coming down, so things are moving in the right direction, but its still expensive.

If you mainly shoot landscape, the advantages of the R5/6 will be the increased DR, ISO capability, and exposure sim in the view finder/LCD screen. The big advantages of the R system - eye AF, insane tracking of moving objects via the servo AF system - won't be as big of a payoff. If you shoot a lot of animals or people, you'll be in love with those features immediately. Its possible that the updated interface and capabilities excites you to shoot more and more types of things as well. So that could be a plus for the R5.

To mount on a tripod and get higher resolution photos of non-moving objects (landscapes) the $2500 cost difference between a 5DSR and R5 is hard to swallow. You could indeed add an R6 as a second body for sports, street, people, etc where the resolution isn't as valuable, but the drastically improved AF system is. And keep in mind the 5DSR AF system is capable, just not in the same class of performance as the newer R series.

You didn't mention a thing about video, which is another big feature of the R5/6.

The EOS R could be a middle ground to consider. 30MP, mirrorless, but without the latest edition of the AF tracking system. And they can be had for a good price now. Not sure if you'd consider the 30mp enough of a bump over your 6DI.

Another thought to consider is that the 5DSR will hold a decent portion of its value for a while yet. So if resold in a few years you'd only be out a reasonable 'rental' fee. R5 will get cheaper, slowly, eventually, when an R5mk2 comes out someday.

Brian

PS - I bought the R6, but have not bought the 5DSR. I shoot mainly moving things (sports) and it was a no brainer to go with the R series after a weekend rental trying it out. the 20MP is plenty for me for landscapes and prints up to 36" (I haven't tried larger as I don't have the wall space). If I did upgrade for MP, I would go R5 so I could have one camera to do it all. I can't go back on the AF system! But that's for me and the majority of what I shoot.

May 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

One thing to keep in mind is that while a particular camera may be "ideal" or close to it for one sort of thing, this doesn't mean it is incompetent for other things.

My 5DsR is pretty ideal for landscape photography and producing large prints (and the R5 offers only incremental advantages and disadvantages by comparison). But I also use it successfully for things like wildlife photography. Between "ideal" for something and "no good" for something lies a lot of interesting ground. The 5DsR is not "ideal" for wildlife photography, but it can be quire good for it. (This way of thinking can apply to a lot of cameras.)

Dan

May 10, 2022 at 12:18 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

gdanmitchell wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that while a particular camera may be "ideal" or close to it for one sort of thing, this doesn't mean it is incompetent for other things.

My 5DsR is pretty ideal for landscape photography and producing large prints (and the R5 offers only incremental advantages and disadvantages by comparison). But I also use it successfully for things like wildlife photography. Between "ideal" for something and "no good" for something lies a lot of interesting ground. The 5DsR is not "ideal" for wildlife photography, but it can be quire good for it. (This way
...Show more

Yet the R5 and R6 are the first Canon cameras that are "ideal" for everything. If you don't need MP buy the R6, if you need MP (or 8k video) then the R5 will work for everything you can throw at it.

May 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Tim Carpenter wrote:

I have not been thrilled with the 6D for landscapes. Image size doesn't support a lot of cropping and generally I'm not pleased with the dynamic range. I was thinking that maybe I should be looking at the R5, but
...Show more

Tim, the 6Dmkl is basically a de-tuned 5Dmkll with more bells and whistles to make it attractive to beginners.
The 5Ds/r is basically a high mp/low fps 1Dx. It's an extremely capable high mp camera that make incredibly detailed images.
I now shoot with an R5. It's very good and makes some types of shooting very easy but it's not magic.
I'd save the money and get the 5Ds/r. Are you leery of buying used? If so $1200 for a refurb is amazing since at intro it was $3500+. If you're ok with used look for a used 5Ds, they are way cheaper than the sr models and every bit as good. If you don't need the frame rate, pass on the R5. Don't worry 95% of the nature shots I see are NOT moving but don't forget it has virtually the same focus system as a 1Dx, it's no slouch, just doesn't have the fps!
In your situation I'd look at the 5Ds/r.
John

May 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Carpenter
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

gdanmitchell wrote:
Reading between the lines — "(I'm hesitant because I've not been shooting as much as I would like and am trying to get back out there...5Drs is a lower risk financially)" — I sense that perhaps your interest in making photographs has flagged a bit or that for some other reason you are not photographing as much. And perhaps you think that getting a better camera will renew that interest.

The reading between the lines is spot on. There is part of me that wants a new camera to experiment with to help me re-engage. The reality is that I could re-engage with what I have and push that to it's limits. I did shoot that camera a fair bit on a trip out to the band lands in SD last year and I did get some great images...but then also ran into a few occasions where I couldn't crop as tightly as I would have liked in post production.

AmbientMike wrote:
How high of ISO are you interested in? I downloaded a 6400 5DsR file and thought it looked great. The 5Ds has an AA filter and I believe higher ISO settings up to around 25600. So it might be a good choice. It might be tough to beat the 6D as far as high ISO, online files look really nice. But I doubt you'd have much trouble using the 5DsR lower ISO on a tripod.

I don't think I would expect to push the ISO higher than 3200 --likely a lot lower most of the time. The 6D is still very usable and I would keep that for lower light conditions.

It was mentioned that I didn't mention video. I seldom shoot any video and when I have, it's typically been with my street photography camera (Fuji XT-4).

May 10, 2022 at 12:56 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Tim Carpenter wrote:

...Show more

No hesitation - 5DSr is great camera for on the tripod. Still better than the R5 for landscape because of no AA.

I have also used it for wildlife sucessfuly.

Its pluses are:
51mpx
No aa [better iq]
Great (better than R5) in the cold
Cheap
works natively with EF (cheaper better lens)
better battery life

that said I have 5DSR and R5 and my 5DSR is gathering dust because:
although 5DSR is better for iq with AEB and blending for landscape, its not dramatically better
its way heavier than R5 for hiking and backpacking
I also shoot wildlife where dynamic range matters because its not on a tripod, and its a smidge better with eye focus and 12fps
its buffer is virtually unlmited vs 15-20 on 5dsr
with the drop in adapter, I can forgo all big clunkly filter for EF lens
I don't want to carry a landscape body and a wildlife body
IBIS makes non IS lens work well
The 16/2.8 and 24-105 f4-7.1 and 100-400 RF lens are fantastic and cheap for backpacking.

But for the price, it can't be beat.

May 10, 2022 at 01:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

gdanmitchell wrote:

Tim Carpenter wrote:
The reading between the lines is spot on. There is part of me that wants a new camera to experiment with to help me re-engage. The reality is that I could re-engage with what I have and push that to it's limits. I did shoot that camera a fair bit on a trip out to the band lands in SD last year and I did get some great images...but then also ran into a few occasions where I couldn't crop as tightly as I would have liked in post production.

There are two sides to this question. Some might not be happy about bringing it up in a "gear forum," but I think that it affects a lot of gear decisions.

At one extreme are folks who seem to need to get a new jolt of gear with great frequency — perhaps even buying multiple new bodies and lenses every year. Some such folks seem more interested in acquiring photography gear than about photography itself. It is an easy trap to fall into.

It doesn't sound like you are suffering from that affliction to anywhere near that degree, and moving from a 6D to something newer can be a pretty reasonable, logical thing to do. The 6D, while still certainly a functional camera that can produce fine results in a wide range of situations was released almost a decade ago. (November 2012 according to one source.)

I wouldn't say it is impossible for you to keep using the 6D. Again, it is a competent camera even though more recent cameras have improved on the 5DII-era capabilities. So the first decision really is whether or not it is time for you to replace it.

Pause.

You were hoping I'd answer that question, right? Nope. That's for you to decide.

Then, if it is, the question is which camera body. You could go in quite a few different directions here, or at least it seems so given what sounds like a fairly general photographic interest as opposed to having one narrow focus. Some options include:

1. The 5DsR. (Or the 5Ds. In my view, the differences are negligible.) This camera equals or (more often) exceeds the capabilities of your 6D in essentially every way. You'll be able to do everything with it that you could do with your 6D when it was new and more. Whether or not you need or will really benefit from the highest-possible sensor resolution is a good question. If the balance shifts more toward AF and camera speed, another option could be...

2. The 5D4. The resolution is lower but still plenty high for virtually all users, and the camera is perhaps more optimized for certain things camera speed in areas such as burst mode and AF.

The question of whether the older models (and their lower costs) make sense or whether it is time to move to something more contemporary has several facets. The old models work really, really well. The newer mirrorless models generally equal or surpass them in most ways, though the main question is whether or not that makes a difference for your photography that is worth the additional cost. If it does, you could argue that a person who keeps a digital camera for a decade might want to start out with the current state of the art. With this in mind:

3. The R5 is certainly a fine camera that will produce image quality roughly on par with that from the 5DsR. (We can argue that it may have a bit more DR, but it has a bit less resolution. Neither difference is likely to be a game-changer.) The AF performance and overall speed of the R5 will exceed that of the 5DsR. (An exception is battery performance — mirrorless will usually chew through batteries faster.)

4. R6. The R6 is aimed, in my estimation, at roughly the same market that was originally targeted by the 6D. Since the 6D seemed like a good bet for you back then, there's a good chance that the R6 would fit at least as well today, and it will bring some performance improvements over the older camera.

I'm wondering how much value that added speed and higher resolution of the R5 would actually have for you. Would it be worth the additional cost?

Speaking for myself — and my particular use case for a full frame camera, which probably does NOT match yours:

- If I had no camera and cost was not an issue, today I would buy a R5. (I'd also plan to move to RF lenses, a non-trivial additional expense, but not everyone would do this.)

- If I had no camera and cost was an issue and I wanted high MP, I would not hesitate to get a new or new-condition 5DsR.

- If having the very highest MP wasn't an issue and I wanted to keep costs a bit lower, I'd look at the 5DIV.

- If wanted today's 6D equivalent camera, I'd look at the R6.

Dan

(I learned something else interesting from your reply. I often reply to more than one poster in a single message. I now understand that if a reader has "hidden" one of the people whose messages are quoted, the entire reply will be hidden!)

- - -

(Original post edited to correct some mistakes, at least of which reversed my intended meaning.)

Edited on May 11, 2022 at 08:42 AM · View previous versions

May 10, 2022 at 02:22 PM
StephenS_CP
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Please read this in the "re-engage" context and your indication that you might want to expand into bird photography.

I have both the 5Dsr and the R5. I wanted to be primarily a landscape photographer, but got into some birding as a sideline when I moved to the Sacramento Valley. The 5Dsr proved a satisfactory and cost-effective "reach" solution over buying a very expensive, dedicated long telephoto [for the California environment and larger migrating waterfowl].

I moved to the R5 because my shooting circumstances had changed. I had moved to the much dimmer Olympic peninsula, the birds were much smaller, and I was striving to take BIF pictures. The R5 addressed two big problems: 1) focus could track across the entire frame even at the f/8 aperture of my 100-400L f4.5-5.6+1.4TC rig, and 2) Eye AF helped ensure focus was on the bird and not the background/foreground. Note: 5Dsr has only 1 active focus point at f8.

Like you, I don't do video.

Now, to your "re-engage"ment, and R5 considerations:
* the "upgrade activities" are optional and deferrable. I work from a 128Gb SD card. Didn't get the expensive CFExpress card, nor the card-reader. I never fill the card, and even if I did, I could still pop in a 5Dsr legacy 32Gb card and continue. I also did not buy an expensive, backup LP-E6NH battery. I continue to use my 5Dsr legacy LP-E6N batteries. Capacity is diminished, and I may not get full 20 FPS, but I can live with that. You could check to see if your 6D's LP-E6 cards would work as backup batteries.

* think about how an articulating rear LCD with exposure simulation might make your night sky photography a lot easier

* macro and/or ground level photography: articulating screen and in-camera focus stacking open up new ease and opportunity

* I'm only just beginning to appreciate the multiple exposure feature on the R5.

* and finally, back to birds...It is addictive because birds are so ubiquitous. And bird photography images posted here on FM set a very high standard. I have gotten good BIF pictures with my 5Dsr and that master bird photographer, Imagemaster, demonstrated just how good those can be, but even he doesn't use the 5Dsr for birds anymore. If birds become important, you will want to get to an R5-level [or newer] camera sooner or later.

May 10, 2022 at 02:56 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

I like Dan's thoughtful reply. I had a 5Ds R until acquiring an R5. Both are terrific cameras, but I find the R5 much more versatile then the 5Ds R. That's because I shoot a wide range of subjects including extreme macro (with the MP-E—my favorite use for the 5Ds R), more conventional macro, focus stacks. landscapes, birds, wildlife, and tabletop still lifes. For me, the R5's AF, fps, and video capabilities as well as dynamic range and noise characteristics make it a far better choice for birds, and its built-in focus bracketing is totally missing in the 5Ds R. I'm using most of my EF glass with a Control Ring Adapter, and it works even better than on my EF cameras.

I can't think of anything the 5DsR does better (or even as well as) the R5, but there's a pretty big monetary difference between the two, and current 5Ds R pricing is awfully good. I think that what you really need to decide is how much you're willing to spend on a camera now, and what you plan to do with it for the next few years.

May 10, 2022 at 03:04 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Tim Carpenter wrote:
I don't think I would expect to push the ISO higher than 3200 --likely a lot lower most of the time. The 6D is still very usable and I would keep that for lower light conditions.

If you are looking at no higher than 3200 either should be fine.

I suppose the R5 might be a bit better and it might make a difference at times but mostly I don't consider 3200 high on a FF camera.

May 10, 2022 at 03:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Abbott Schindl wrote:
I like Dan's thoughtful reply. I had a 5Ds R until acquiring an R5. Both are terrific cameras, but I find the R5 much more versatile then the 5Ds R. That's because I shoot a wide range of subjects including extreme macro (with the MP-E—my favorite use for the 5Ds R), more conventional macro, focus stacks. landscapes, birds, wildlife, and tabletop still lifes. For me, the R5's AF, fps, and video capabilities as well as dynamic range and noise characteristics make it a far better choice for birds, and its built-in focus bracketing is totally missing in the 5Ds
...Show more

The IQ of the 5DsR is better by a small amount due to the higher resolution and cancelled AA. I've only put 100K frames on R5s (fewer than 5DsRs), but the main advantage for landscape is the elimination of the necessary mirror lockup at the slower shutter speeds often used. The combined IS with the IBID is great with the tele zooms. OTOH, most of the L brackets for the R5 are crappy for verticals (the usual panning mode) because the articulated LCD cutout compromises rigidity.

I would not use a 5DsR for wildlife anymore, though I did quite a bit from 2015-2019 for reach and in good light. It's just too slow in operation and noisy at high ISOs compared to the R5. I could use an "RX" with about 64MP if Canon were listening.

EBH

May 10, 2022 at 04:02 PM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

I just bought an R5, and selling my 5dsr. If money is no object, buy an R5.

5dsr is a great value. Images are as good as the R5 will produce.

5dsr SPOT af is very good for wildlife.

R5 AF is spectacular.

For me I could live with either camera. Funny I am keeping my eosR even though the AF stinks compared to both (for birds). Keeping the eosR for landscape / travel.
And I do like mirrorless in general.

JP

May 10, 2022 at 04:02 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

Imagemaster wrote:
Save yourself a bunch of money and get the 5DS R. You will love it.

At the moment I own both the 5DS and the R5, and I totally agree with you. In my opinion the image quality of the 5DS (or 5DS-R respectively) beats the R5 when it comes to sharpness, color and resolution. Yes, the R5 has a few improvements, but those do not justify the price difference. I will trade mine in very soon because I'm thoroughly disappointed by mirroless in general and Canon in particular.

-Phil

May 10, 2022 at 05:03 PM
docusync
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5DRs Recommendations

I owned a 5DsR for a few years, and now have the R5. The R5's AF is overrated. Yes, you can nail a focus for a slow moving subject, but for fast action it plain sucks. The 5DsR is opposite. You have to AFMA your lenses once in a while, but it's more reliable and predictable, especially for a moving subject. Not as good as the 1dx2 though. The AA-cancelled sensor provides crazy amount of details, way more than you'd get from the R5. I'd be missing two things in the 5DsR: IBIS and video capabilities. Just remember the 5DsR native max ISO is 6400, and 12800 is the max you can get. At ISO 6400 it produces similar amount of noise as the R5. Can be cleaned with ON1 NoNoise in no time.

Edited on May 10, 2022 at 10:10 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2022 at 06:53 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password