New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

If it doesn't your hike could be miserable. This was helpful to me but may be old hat to you more experienced hikers:

May 09, 2022 at 03:21 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

Yes, this is good but often overlooked advice. Alas it does not apply to many (most) photography backpacks that lack the necessary adjustments - most notably torso size.

To me the most critical decision is torso size. I am 6ft but at the low end of a medium torso. Especially for the 100L backpacks that sometimes I carry when I am on a multi-day photo-oriented trip with 40L+ of photo gear I tend to buy a small torso backpack. Heavy backpacks slouch down on your hips as you hike, and the last thing you want is a heavy load slightly below your hips where it compresses rarely used muscles (the ones above the glutes - I think the official name is gluteus medius) that does not see a lot of use in daily life and can make your hike truly miserable.

The second deviation that I have from the recommendations is that I want as little weight as possible on my shoulders. That means that I clip my hipbelt right around the belly button and not as suggested in the video. This makes a ton of difference for me on a 10mi+ hike and perhaps also explains my preference for backpacks that are one torso size smaller than "ideal". Mu shoulder straps tend to be somewhat lifted from my shoulders, which the author suggests is "wrong" but I find that any significant weight on my shoulders wears me down a lot.

May 09, 2022 at 08:52 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Yes, this is good but often overlooked advice. Alas it does not apply to many (most) photography backpacks that lack the necessary adjustments - most notably torso size.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 30L Shimoda and it has all the adjustments that are mentioned in this video. After watching I make some adjustments to mine so hopefully the next time out it will ride every better with less strain on my shoulders.

May 09, 2022 at 09:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

GroovyGeek wrote:

The main problem is that my torso size just isn't the same as it was.

EBH

May 09, 2022 at 09:42 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

EB-1 wrote:
The main problem is that my torso size just isn't the same as it was.

EBH

Particularly in the US and especially after Covid. I added at least 10 lbs to my already svelte physique that I have not yet motivated sufficiently to shed. On the upside the extra girth makes me irresistible to sexual partners... or at least that is what I tell myself. After all, in the wild girth is a major determinant of suitability for mating

May 09, 2022 at 11:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

I'd be more interested to know, does your backpack fit me? Always looking for alternatives.

May 14, 2022 at 07:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

jcolwell wrote:
I'd be more interested to know, does your backpack fit me? Always looking for alternatives.

None of my main backpacks are available anymore so I'm not giving up the Airport Antidotes II, Tamracs, Gumba gears Elite 26 or 32 either.

EBH

May 14, 2022 at 09:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

my experience with true hiking backpacks is to never to be at the edge of their sizing or weight limits/ range.
it's like some products that say " meet minimum requirements" - it's no joke or understatement: it means borderline acceptable.
So when you choose a bag that ranges 17 to 21 inches torso sizing, if you are at either 17 or 21 size, it might fit you comfortably.
then max load - it means likely not to fall apart with full load. Your hips and shoulders will differ

May 14, 2022 at 08:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

all my packs fit me. in the video his MR pack does not really fit him

Edited on May 20, 2022 at 10:34 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2022 at 07:26 PM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Particularly in the US and especially after Covid. I added at least 10 lbs to my already svelte physique that I have not yet motivated sufficiently to shed. On the upside the extra girth makes me irresistible to sexual partners... or at least that is what I tell myself. After all, in the wild girth is a major determinant of suitability for mating

I'm the opposite. I've lost around 12-14 lbs since Covid started. But my reasoning is stress. Life....I want to have a very serious discussion with whoever came up with the term "Golden Years".

As for backpacks, I need something to help support my back. I'm looking at F-Stop Loka 37l.

May 20, 2022 at 09:22 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

AZHeaven wrote:
....I want to have a very serious discussion with whoever came up with the term "Golden Years".

Probably the Golden Girls You might give them a call.

May 20, 2022 at 09:50 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

MRomine wrote:
Probably the Golden Girls You might give them a call.

! Sadly the only way to talk to them is me, hopefully not too soon, to go on that great hiking trail in the sky!

May 21, 2022 at 07:31 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does Your Backpack Fit You Properly?

I recently received both a Shimoda 50X and 70X. Both are meaningfully better than their Fstop counterparts. FYI - the 50x is closer to a Loka and the 70x is closer to a Tilopa.

AZHeaven wrote:
I'm the opposite. I've lost around 12-14 lbs since Covid started. But my reasoning is stress. Life....I want to have a very serious discussion with whoever came up with the term "Golden Years".

As for backpacks, I need something to help support my back. I'm looking at F-Stop Loka 37l.

May 21, 2022 at 11:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password