New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Looking for some help with light storage

ian watstein
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for some help with light storage

First off, thank you in advance for all the help this forum has provided over the years.

Ok, so here's the situation. I'm a high school photo teacher who's been given just enough of a budged over the last few years to get my class a pretty decent amount of studio equipment. I currently have 18 Godox strobes and enough stands & modifiers to do most of what I want. What I truly lack is storage space for any of this, hence the question.

Up till now I've been keeping the strobes in their manufacture box, which are then kept in a cupboard. As you can imagine, the boxes are staring to fall apart, to be honest the cupboard isn't the right size either, and I've had to stack things in front of the strobes just to get things to fit. What I'm looking for are some options for storing the strobes: soft or hard cases that can hold my strobes in multiples of two.

The only other things I can think of as considerations, these need to be durable enough for a school setting, but I'm not looking for SBK/Pelican hard cases (mostly because I'm not going to be able to afford them). I have separate storage for light stands, so this would be strobe only; same applies to modifiers and can apply to power cables too if it saves me space.

Again, thank you for all the help.
–Ian

May 09, 2022 at 01:15 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for some help with light storage

I have the Lencarta version of these. (Pretty sure they're the same but the colours are different).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1659351-REG/godox_cb_26_carrying_bag_for_h2400p.html?ap=y&smp=y

Wonderful cases and very well built. No real padding inside but the structure is solid. (Not sure how much I trust the strap because the rings on the bag aren't welded - but everything else is great).

I have 2 and wish I had more. Actually, I may buy another if I can find them in the UK.

Edited on May 10, 2022 at 12:39 AM · View previous versions

May 09, 2022 at 06:42 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for some help with light storage

Do you have to move these strobes around from room to room or store them in a closet or studio room where they will be used?

In my home studio where lights go nowhere else, I keep some on studs that I can mount to the ceiling or wall. Search studio + wall + mount + stud

My cables I store coiled on "J" hooks that I buy for about $12 for a set of 6

May 09, 2022 at 07:04 PM
ian watstein
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for some help with light storage

Mdvaden,
No, they are going to be stored either in a stack or back in the closet in my classroom. They don't need to move room to room, just around the class itself (carpeted and too small).

May 10, 2022 at 10:20 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for some help with light storage

These are very good, hold 4 heads or if you want, 2 heads and reflectors etc.

https://strobepro.com/collections/bags-cases/products/strobepro-ultimate-traveller-gear-bag

May 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for some help with light storage

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322901-REG/impact_lkb_4c_light_kit_bag_4c.html

May 10, 2022 at 10:53 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for some help with light storage

i'm a metal and wood worker as well as photographer, so I tend to make what I need for my studio.

All of my photo lights and strobes are Godox with Bowens mounts. I built boxes to my strobes each from 6 mm (1/4") & 12 mm (1/2") Baltic Birch plywood. I box jointed the corners, but just glued the tops and bottoms on, so the entire box is just glued together with Titebond II glue and no metal fasteners. All of the boxes have hinged lids, felt feet, and corner protectors. Some small boxes have a top carry handle. Larger heavy boxes have folding carry handles at each end. I designed the boxes to accept the strobes with either the 7" reflectors still attached, or just with the strobe/modeling bulb covers, plus pockets to accept the power cords and the barn doors, colored filters, and fabric diffusers. Small blocks of wood were also glued inside the boxes for a slightly loose fit, to position and hold the strobes in place and protect them.

If there is a woodworking shop in your school, maybe you can get them to make some similar storage boxes for your photo needs. Since they will be protecting school property I don't think you will have much problem getting the OK to have them made. Baltic Birch comes in 5' square sheets, is void free and holds up well with polyurethane finish. They can be painted too, if desired, but the polyurethane keeps them from splintering with knocks and abuse better than just paint. Unfortunately Baltic Birch plywood has about tripled in price since the beginning of this year due to the War, but maybe the shop has a stash of it or an acceptable alternative. It makes incredibly strong boxes. If the Styrofoam in the existing boxes is still good, you may want to have the new boxes made to include it.

I used a peel and stick felt to line the areas inside the boxes that had no other padding. It comes in many colors from Hobby Supply Stores. Make cardboard templates to fit well for the felt to fit well. Then cut the felt to match the template and then install it carefully, since the sticky backing allows no retries.

To test the strength of some of the "Apple Boxes" that I made using 6 mm sides and 12 mm tops and bottoms with three 12 mm partitions in each to transfer weight from top to bottom, I jacked up my 6,000 lb Jeep Grand Cherokee front end and set it on two of the 8" high Apple Boxes. They held the weight without even a click or crunch noise, so certain to hold anything or anyone in the studio.

Charley

May 10, 2022 at 11:22 AM
lroger

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for some help with light storage

Have a look at these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522969-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG2KIT_Transpac_Dual_Kit_Case.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253512-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG1KIT_Transpac_Single_Kit_Case.html

they hold a lot of eqpt and have wheels.

May 10, 2022 at 05:21 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for some help with light storage

I own Lightware and Tenba cases for lighting and grip, they were all purchased used and in great condition. I don't know about your budget but most Rental Houses simply use shelves for gear storage? I would look on eBay or the photo forums for offerings, there's not much better than buying a piece of gear for about a quarter to third of new prices.

May 10, 2022 at 05:27 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for some help with light storage

ian watstein wrote:
Mdvaden,
No, they are going to be stored either in a stack or back in the closet in my classroom. They don't need to move room to room, just around the class itself (carpeted and too small).

This is what I was referring to. But I don't know what all your room looks like and what's feasible. But if you had a wall with one or two regular framing studs, something like this could be placed about every 16 inches within the reach of an average student. So maybe 4 to 6 lights could be stored on a wall one above the other, with the nut tightened on the stud. If a wall were concrete, someone could improvise by anchoring a single stud first, then attaching these. It's not concealed, but works good and would be organized.

If a room had several studs, a dozen or more studio lights could mount in a rather small area.

NEEWER are sort of expensive at $25 sold single. But LIMOSTUDIO sells 2 x for $16.00 which would be $8 per light or $80 to hang 10 lights.

May 10, 2022 at 06:14 PM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for some help with light storage

Look into the style of metal wire racks used by restaurants.

They're entirely adjustable, very study, hold a ton of weight and can be used with rollers. Come in black or chrome. They're also made in tall or shorter versions, but tall ones can be cut-down with a normal plumbing copper-pipe cutter. Can easily buy or make plastic covers if desired for dust.

They can be customized by DIYers as they see fit. Store on the rack(s), roll into closet and roll-out. We use them for gear and for tools/supplies in our storage area - all on casters. makes life much easier.

Just one example.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Adjustable-Shelving-Organizer/dp/B071DZHLXH/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2OVU45FU56WHX&keywords=rolling+rack&qid=1652269874&sprefix=rolling+rack%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-10

May 11, 2022 at 06:54 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.