FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Silica desiccant for travel

dmcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Silica desiccant for travel

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
On the other hand, the southwest monsoon in India is one of the greatest weather shows on the planet, a minefield for photography and for just enjoying the life-reviving phenomenon that it is.

See, for instance -

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/37614.Chasing_the_Monsoon

Thanks. I will check out that book.

I've spent time hiking in Malaysia's jungles during the monsoon season (November - February). One does adapt to the heavy rain and slippery roots under foot, and after a while being constantly wet seems pretty normal. The animal and plant diversity dwarfs that of north America or Europe, though it is quickly dwindling. I'm glad to have had the experience and happy that I also had the opportunity to explore during drier months. It was all rewarding, though quite exhausting even when I was 20 years younger.

May 11, 2022 at 12:30 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Silica desiccant for travel

What is important is not to have cool gear in an air conditioned room or vehicle and then take it outdoors to warm up and have condensation on the camera and lens. Helps to have a large plastic bag to cover it all during the transistion or leave it in the backpack or shoulder bag for 10 minutes while it reaches the outdoor temperatures. Important primarily in very hot and humid areas or during the winter months.

May 14, 2022 at 02:47 PM
RansomRR

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Silica desiccant for travel

There is another easy solution for travelers, and its much more environmentally friendly. Use the most widely consumed grain in the world as a desiccant- rice. Bring several ziplock bags big enough for your lenses and body (s). OK, it you have a big lens, that's a bit more challenging, but it will be an issue with silica gel too. You can buy a pound or two of rice almost anywhere in the world. Put a half pound or so of rice in a bag with a piece of equipment and seal the bag. Set it in the sun to really pull out the moisture. You can dry the rice out in a microwave or on a stove top with a cooking kettle, a lid and low heat. When you're done with your trip, you can just dump the rice out in an appropriate place. A mouse or bird might enjoy its find.

May 21, 2022 at 05:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.