Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

hans98ko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

groob wrote:
Where have you seen 600mm lenses going for $4500?

Here is another one in really good condition that was put up for sale yesterday for $4500 and below:

https://www.carousell.sg/p/nikon-600mm-f4-1169162243/?t-id=qoAjB9B2wY_1656462965555&t-referrer=%2Flikes%2F&t-referrer_page_type=like_page&t-tap_index=0

Nikon 600mm F4 lens for sale
-Condition 9/10
-Come with original box, lens bag and camouflage protector
-No fungus or scratch on lens
-Always kept in dry box
-View to believe

Price negotiable for serious buyer

The only thing is it was not stated if it is a G or an E series. Base on the image I think it is a G series.
Quick get your flight ticket and come and get it or it will be gone again.

Jun 28, 2022 at 07:48 PM
jbear
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Whenever I think about getting a Z9, I go out and shoot or look through my portfolio and that thought stops there. When they cost 2k...I'll revisit that thought. As of now...I've got thousands of images to process. I just enjoy being out there and shooting. I'm all good for "keepers." FWIW...D850, D500, D750, and D300.

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM
pancrasemma

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

If you want the highest quality photos you should think Z. If you are happy with what you have, that's good too.

Jun 29, 2022 at 02:24 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Total bullshit kid!
It is as if before Z there wasn't any good quality photos taken. I bet even with your Z you can't beat many of the good photographers before Z.
Good photos were taken by the photographers behind the cameras and lenses and not the other way around.

Jun 29, 2022 at 07:07 PM
D3 Ray

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

pancrasemma wrote:
If you want the highest quality photos you should think Z.

This type of statement lets you know right away that the individual who wrote it doesn't understand what's required to get a great image.

Jun 29, 2022 at 08:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

pancrasemma wrote:
If you want the highest quality photos you should think Z. If you are happy with what you have, that's good too.

Is that a joke? The quality of the photos is primarily about the lens and the photographer. Z lenses may be very good, but the selection is paltry and much of the time an adapted F-mount lens will be the best fit for the situation and/or image quality.

EBH

Jun 29, 2022 at 09:52 PM
jwolfe
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

The D850 is absolutely an amazing camera and could serve you well for many years.

With that being said - if I was in your shoes Iíd upgrade to the 500mm pf and then wait. Nikon is going to release more z bodies in the next 24 months, and certainly will release a D850 replacement.

But if you donít want to wait, by all means buy a D850. Itís a great camera.

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:37 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Hmmm... depending on your budget.
Nothing wrong with D850 except that it is quite noisy. Not as bad as D6 but still noisy and if you are in a blind/hideout, it might still affect the animal.
If you don't do bif, honestly, I think Z6ii Z7 ii are really pretty good for perched birds and mammals in general although it would be a stepdown from D500 but it is still good enough. I just came back from Botswana with Z9 and Z7 ii setup.
The whole time there, not including bif shots, I think Z7 ii did just fine for just about anything that I shoot except once when a couple of painted dogs raced past our car unexpectedly after sunset and I had only 2-3 seconds where I was able to get some shots with Z9 and 400/2.8S. If it was Z7 ii in my hand at the time, I don't think I would be so hopeful of getting any shot.
The only reason I am thinking more about Z7 ii rather D850 is because Nikon is coming out with a few options of light tele lenses that you cannot use with D850 while 300/500PF can be adapted to Z system pretty well for your use.
If you do bif as well, I would say get D850 or if budget allows, get Z9 or wait for the next smaller body with Z9 AF system.

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 05:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 01:51 AM
hans98ko
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Hmmm...so these are the advice coming from one who seems to know everything about Nikon even for info that were normally not shared outside of development, and also one who gets his hands on products that were recently released and haven't really been shipped to the market.
Do I smell something fishy?
And then trying to tell others that D850 is really noisy, Z6/7 II are not good enough for BIF and only the Z9 can get the job done sure sounds like marketing to me.
Well, if you can't use any recently released cameras in the past 10 years, you are just not good enough because others can shoot BIF or PIF even with manual focus lenses by using zone focus or hyperfocus with preset target range. It is easy once you get your hands on it.
Noise is not such a big issue even for small birds once they get used to it and noticed that no harm ever came to them everytime the noise appears. As for golfers who got annoyed by single shot or short bursts are just not good enough trying to blame others for the missed putt. Because a sniper will get their shots even with bombs and heavy weapons going off around them.
🤣
Oh! I still remembered your street shots with the recently released 58mm f/0.95 Noct with plenty of cats eyes bokeh when other cheaper alternative does not. Oh! Yes you sold it and got the 50mm f/1.2 S when it came out. Stories repeat itself.
Maybe we are more interested in what Nikon will be coming out next. Even better what Canon, Fujifilm, Sony...will be coming out to counter Nikon's low volume and delayed shipments before Christmas. 🤔

Edited on Jun 30, 2022 at 07:08 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:49 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

hans98ko wrote:
Total bullshit kid!
It is as if before Z there wasn't any good quality photos taken. I bet even with your Z you can't beat many of the good photographers before Z.
Good photos were taken by the photographers behind the cameras and lenses and not the other way around.

I agree 100%... The new cameras offer new tech, beyond this, the quality of image you get is entirely dependent of the light, composition, and subject (in that order).
The mirrorless system offers some conveniences and improvements in camera function. They offer some advantages in lens design that can reduce mass and nominally improve contrast, but these things don't make the pictures.

I now shoot a Z9/Z6ii w/ a small set of Z and F lenses. There have been (and continue to be) many instances when I wonder if I'd be better off w/ a D5/D500, 24-70G and 180-400... All of this gear is limited by the talent and opportunity behind the lens.

Jun 30, 2022 at 06:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pancrasemma

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Forum poobahs easily riled.

Jun 30, 2022 at 08:08 AM
Chay Nick

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. For a month now I have d850 and 500 PF. As I had suspected, the d850 has a weaker AF than the d500, it is also louder. This does not bother me as I am going to use it in the studio and for landscape photography after purchasing the Nikkor 105 macro and the 70-200 f4. Probably also for photographs of larger mammals, some species of birds.
On the other hand, the Nikkor 500 PF turned out to be much sharper than my 300PF with tc 1.4III and now it is permanently attached to my d500.
As for the mirrorless version, I decided to wait for the mirrorless version of the Nikon d500, which, if it is made, will be better for me than the z9 and will be cheaper.

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:24 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

pancrasemma wrote:

<vent>

I wasn't going to comment on your ludicrous statement about needing a Z9 to shoot the best quality images. I mean, why waste keystrokes on such ignorance? But now that you've added a dose of arrogance to the equation, I think I'll chime in, indirectly.

I looked at your Instagram page. If that's your idea of high quality photography, then I believe I could out shoot you and your Z9 with an Instamatic. And believe me, I'm no great shakes as a photographer.

</vent>

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:42 AM
pancrasemma

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

What are you babbling about? I don't have an instagram page

Jun 30, 2022 at 09:54 AM
Eric214
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Chay Nick wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. For a month now I have d850 and 500 PF. As I had suspected, the d850 has a weaker AF than the d500, it is also louder. This does not bother me as I am going to use it in the studio and for landscape photography after purchasing the Nikkor 105 macro and the 70-200 f4. Probably also for photographs of larger mammals, some species of birds.
On the other hand, the Nikkor 500 PF turned out to be much sharper than my 300PF with tc 1.4III and now it is permanently attached to
...Show more

If you don't have the grip on the D850, you need that, not just for the 9fps but it also brings the AF performance up to the D500 AF performance. When I had my D850, I certainly noticed a bit of a hit in AF performance if i didn't have my grip on with a EN-EL18 battery installed.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

I had a gripped D850 for many years and in my opinion there is no difference in AF performance with or without the grip. FWIW other experienced photographers like Steve Perry have said the same thing and I have read many threads on that specific topic where the consensus was overwhelmingly that there was no difference.

The snappier frame rate might give the impression the camera is focusing faster but I don't believe it is and I have never seen evidence of a difference. Perhaps the biggest clue that there is no difference is that Nikon's marketing department doesn't mention it. They would be all over that to sell more grips which are very high margin products. In fact, if blackout times are longer at 9fps than 7fps, in theory you would have slightly worse AF with the grip if shooting at maximum frame rate if the AF sensors are exposed to the scene for a shorter time during any given shooting sequence (I am not saying this is necessarily the case - it doesn't appear to be noticeable in practice either).

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:41 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

pancrasemma wrote:

I look forward to seeing your images... Louder than words quality work speaks. Yes, hrrmmm.ds

Jun 30, 2022 at 02:22 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

CanadaMark wrote:
I had a gripped D850 for many years and in my opinion there is no difference in AF performance with or without the grip. FWIW other experienced photographers like Steve Perry have said the same thing and I have read many threads on that specific topic where the consensus was overwhelmingly that there was no difference.

The snappier frame rate might give the impression the camera is focusing faster but I don't believe it is and I have never seen evidence of a difference. Perhaps the biggest clue that there is no difference is that Nikon's marketing department doesn't mention it.
...Show more

I am not sure how you couldn't see a difference, it was fairly obvious to me. Others have mentioned this over the years and even one who is pretty grounded in YouTuber Mark Smith who is really reputable, who has had similar experiences with the D850 with and without the grip in regards to the the AF performance to the D500's.

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:07 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Eric214 wrote:
I am not sure how you couldn't see a difference. Others have mentioned this over the years and even one who is pretty grounded in YouTuber Mark Smith who is really reputable, who has had similar experiences with the D850 with and without the grip in regards to the the AF performance to the D500's.

Well like I said, it's not just me who can't see a difference and overwhelmingly so in the discussion threads I've seen on this topic, people could not tell a difference. Steve Perry also said he could not tell a difference in a discussion on this topic over on his forums. And if there was a difference, why wouldn't Nikon advertise it as a feature of the grip? Grips are a cash cow for manufacturers. It just doesn't make sense. I've asked a Nikon rep about this before as well and was told that it does not affect AF speed. Also, no previous bodies of Nikon's that I am aware of have ever received a bump in raw AF performance from the grip.

If you think there is a difference, that's great, and maybe you can see something that few others seem to be able to, but there is no evidence that it affects AF performance, Nikon does not say it affects AF performance, and you are the only person I have ever encountered so far with a different experience. I've only seen a few of Mark Smith's videos so I'll take your word on that one. I shoot mostly birds and other subjects that stress the AF system and all I can say is I have never noticed an improvement.

The grip has other advantages, such as making the camera heavier and reducing mirror slap, which if it helps get more keepers could be interpreted as improving the AF. Faster FPS is also probably going to get you more keepers, again which a user might interpret as improving AF. Better ergonomics and balance with long lenses also make it easier to track subjects, again which may improve keeper rate. I can certainly see how one might think their AF has improved even though the actual AF performance is not changing.

I think it's fair to say that if there is a difference, it's small enough that the vast majority of users are not able to detect it, so the value proposition of purchasing a grip specifically for unconfirmed and unadvertised AF performance increases doesn't seem like a very good one. If you can point me to a bunch of threads with people agreeing that it clearly improves AF performance, controlled testing that demonstrates it, or something from Nikon claiming it does, I would gladly accept it, but I am not able to find anything like that.

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:41 PM
jwolfe
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Is it worth buying a Nikon d850 for wildlife in 2022?

Eric214 wrote:
I am not sure how you couldn't see a difference, it was fairly obvious to me. Others have mentioned this over the years and even one who is pretty grounded in YouTuber Mark Smith who is really reputable, who has had similar experiences with the D850 with and without the grip in regards to the the AF performance to the D500's.

The D500 and the D850 have the exact same AF system. The only difference is the speed.

Jun 30, 2022 at 04:49 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password