New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

Beny78

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

Hello

I have a fuji x-s10 XF18-55, my favorite focal length is 23-27mm. I'm deciding whether to buy the XF23mm f2 (size) or the Tokina 23mm (supposedly better than the Viltrox) or the new Sigma 30mm.
I like the new XF23mm 1.4., just very expensive and already bigger.
I'm all about image quality + size

May 08, 2022 at 02:43 AM
gaopa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

I suggest you check out the YouTube reviews of these lenses by some reputable Fuji professionals. After doing extensive checking I ended up with a Viltrox 23/1.4 and a Viltrox 56/1.4. I am very happy with both lenses which I use on my X-T3.

May 08, 2022 at 01:24 PM
peter.d.huang

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

I will pick up the original XF23 f1.4

May 11, 2022 at 08:56 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

I'd suggest the 27mm f2.8 or the 23 f2.

All the f1.4 lenses in this focal length range are about the same size and weight, with the caveat that the newest Fuji 23 f1.4 is the largest and heaviest of the bunch (and with a price pretty much impossible to justify).

May 12, 2022 at 12:55 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

I never came across any reliable info that stated that the Tokina lenses were any better than Viltrox, maybe regarding warranty, but then again lots of local photography shops already have Viltrox lenses with standard warranty. Even if not, the price difference easily makes up for that IMHO.

Regarding the options, apart from the Fujinon 27mm and 23mm f2, all the other lenses are a bit front heavy on a small and light camera like the X-S10.
I even feel that the 23mm f2 is a bit too much, with that excessively protruding nose. Of course your mileage may vary on this regard, but since you mentioned that size was important...

Apart from these 2, I think that the Viltrox 23mm is the lightest of the bunch. From what I've seen it has a very respectable performance. Just not sure about light transmission wide-open being real f/1.4.

The Fujinon 23mm f/2 has a very good build and AF. The IQ is good but not for those that take photos to appreciate the lens qualities. It's a lens that I think as serviceable, good for street or travel, gets the job done reliably but it doesn't have any special rendering characteristics. The bokeh isn't nothing to write about and for those who like to shoot up-close wide-open the performance is disappointing.

The Viltrox renders much more nicely than the Fujinon, at the expense of bigger size and weight (but also lower price).

The Fujinon 27mm is even blander than the Fujinon 23mm. Totally servicable, with AF not as fast/reliable but still gets the job done. That lens is all about the small size really.

May 12, 2022 at 03:15 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 23mm x Sigma 30mm x XF23mm f2

Beny78 wrote:
Hello

I have a fuji x-s10 XF18-55, my favorite focal length is 23-27mm. I'm deciding whether to buy the XF23mm f2 (size) or the Tokina 23mm (supposedly better than the Viltrox) or the new Sigma 30mm.
I like the new XF23mm 1.4., just very expensive and already bigger.
I'm all about image quality + size

What do you photograph? Those are some really different lenses, and it probably matters a lot which best fits your specific kinds of photography. (And your budget?)

Pretty much all of the Fujifilm lenses have very good image quality. If size is at the top of your list, the 27mm f/2.8 II is a great little lens. It is my "always on the camera" lens and first call for my street photography. The 23mm f/2 is good and fairly small, too.

The Fujifilm 23mm f/1.4 lenses aren't small — they are actually quite larger. They are good if you need that, but if you don't need the one extra stop you can save a lot of weight and cost with the other lenses.

I have nothing to offer on the third-party lenses. The Fujifilm lenses are so good and so well integrated with the cameras (and preserve full automation) that I prefer to use them and ignore the third-party market.

May 12, 2022 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.