New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2022 · Sellers beware

gm38
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sellers beware

On April 11, Tyler Woolbright bought my X100F kit from the listing I posted on Fred Miranda forum. A few days later I received this PM from Tyler:
Hello, Gerry.

I am writing you this afternoon regarding a concern I have with the OVF on the X100f. I have been having a blast with the camera in the few days I have had off of work, but noticed some white spots on the OVF this morning. I checked back at the listing and can see that they are present in the images if your post, but nothing in detail. Unfortunately, these spots are fungus. I have attached a link to some closer photos of the spots in question. I certainly would not have wanted purchased the camera if I had been aware there was fungus on the OVF. I would like a refund for the camera and can have it in the mail tomorrow.

We PM'd a few times with me expressing my doubts about this. Tyler opened a Paypal dispute and with no proof, they subsequently found in his favor.
I received the X100F yesterday and his "fungus on the OVF" I wiped off with a microfiber cloth.
I am quite sure Tyler had: Buyers remorse, found a cheaper X100 or a camera he liked better.
Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the camera.
Be aware of transacting with this person.
In retrospect, I should not have done a transaction with someone with no feedback on this forum.

May 03, 2022 at 11:17 AM
argar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sellers beware

Unfortunately there is nothing what you could really do, PayPal most of the time sides with buyer. If you don't accept returns some people will find a bogus excuse to send unwanted item back. And sometimes it's not worth a hassle to fight that because shady buyers can break your item on purpose and claim they received it in this condition and PayPal might not help you with that, either.
At least it wasn't a scam and you got your camera back. Relist it, sell it again and move on.

May 03, 2022 at 11:27 AM
gm38
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sellers beware

argar,
I agree completely.

May 03, 2022 at 11:33 AM
stompyq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sellers beware

This is one big reason I don't sell on ebay anymore. Buyers can use your gear for a few months and send it back giving some nonsense excuse and paypal will always side with them. Essentially you have given someone a free rental of your gear. I agree with argar. Move on but in future don't sell to people with zero feedback or a few low value purchases. Not worth the trouble

May 03, 2022 at 11:45 AM
cinema
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sellers beware

could have been worse. this was a minor inconvenience compared to some stuff i've gone though. good cheap lesson. these x100s/point and shoots are hot with a lot of young kids with no idea how this stuff works and think if they read something on google or see a speck of dust in the viewfinder it's broken. half of them couldn't rewind a roll of film. i often see them asking on facebook "will this scratch on the viewfinder show up on my images" These are the same people paying $3000 for a contax t3

Edited on May 03, 2022 at 11:56 AM · View previous versions

May 03, 2022 at 11:52 AM
tkbslc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sellers beware

I mean as far as bad experiences, this one is pretty mild. You have your camera back and can sell it again.

On the whole I've had good experiences selling online to fellow hobbyists. Maybe 1/100 people cause a little drama. Had a guy return a lens because he spent 20 minutes shining various flashlights through it and found a spec of dust and I had described it as dust free. Still never saw any dust after he returned it, but figured I'd just take the return and move on with my life. I'm always a little fearful that if I argue too much, I'll have to refund them anyway and my return will get "lost in the mail" or "damaged in shipping" due to them deciding they are mad at me.

May 03, 2022 at 11:54 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sellers beware

I've found over the years that FMers with a little positive feedback history provide a worry free experience.
There's always some risk.

May 03, 2022 at 11:57 AM
AccessDenied
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sellers beware

Echoing others, you got the item back... Take this as a draw and move on.
I won't sell on eBay after one buyer took my item out of the box (macbook), replaced it with equal weight in gravel, and shipped it back claiming "not as described" which PayPal sided with the buyer and refunded without question.

I fought it, but couldn't "prove" he sent me back rocks... Even thought I had video of me opening the box (I knew something was up when the box arrived and sounded like a box of rocks!). They said "you could have sealed the box back up and taken the video from that point"

They basically said, the shipping label showed the same weight, so they assumed the macbook was in there.

USPS couldn't do anything since the box has no damage.

So, I lost about $1k on that deal. Enough to make me stick to forums like this and only do business with people in person, or with significant feedback/history here.

May 03, 2022 at 12:01 PM
MLM1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sellers beware

I do not want to sound judgemental, but... Is it worth it in such a scenario to litteraly throw under the bus a guy who is unfair and dishonest? I have had so many buyers who had second thoughts and were pretending one thing or another ( one said that my lens had a floral smell.... An other that he did not trust the camera - that was new out of the box.. Quite a reason i have to day ) and this happened to me on really high value items like Leica at $8k. It is not a drama, we are a community who enjoy being there, I understand your frustration that is of course legitimate, but I am not sure that would we all come up with our stories the forum and the community would be so enjoyable. Just my 2 cents with all due respect of course.

May 03, 2022 at 12:08 PM
cinema
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sellers beware

AccessDenied wrote:
I won't sell on eBay after one buyer took my item out of the box (macbook), replaced it with equal weight in gravel, and shipped it back claiming "not as described" which PayPal sided with the buyer and refunded without question.

I fought it, but couldn't "prove" he sent me back rocks... Even thought I had video of me opening the box (I knew something was up when the box arrived and sounded like a box of rocks!). They said "you could have sealed the box back
...Show more

unbelievable... i will never sell on ebay again. last thing i sold there, i think fees had approached 15%

May 03, 2022 at 12:09 PM
niqlu
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sellers beware

argar wrote:
Unfortunately there is nothing what you could really do, PayPal most of the time sides with buyer. If you don't accept returns some people will find a bogus excuse to send unwanted item back. And sometimes it's not worth a hassle to fight that because shady buyers can break your item on purpose and claim they received it in this condition and PayPal might not help you with that, either.
At least it wasn't a scam and you got your camera back. Relist it, sell it again and move on.

Number 1 reason why a Seller should never offer to pay PayPal fees for a buyer.

May 03, 2022 at 12:10 PM
cornellsiyu94

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sellers beware

Thanks for the advice. Also, at the same time, give him a poor review and leave this record in his profile. I know people can always register with new emails but that is what it is now

May 03, 2022 at 12:11 PM
cornellsiyu94

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sellers beware

MLM1 wrote:
I do not want to sound judgemental, but... Is it worth it in such a scenario to litteraly throw under the bus a guy who is unfair and dishonest? I have had so many buyers who had second thoughts and were pretending one thing or another ( one said that my lens had a floral smell.... An other that he did not trust the camera - that was new out of the box.. Quite a reason i have to day ) and this happened to me on really high value items like Leica at $8k. It is not a drama,
...Show more

Agree that FM is still a very very enjoyable place, I bet other places like eBay (roasted by so many others but I never used) and FB marketplace are worse...

May 03, 2022 at 12:16 PM
mynameis201
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sellers beware

AccessDenied wrote:

I fought it, but couldn't "prove" he sent me back rocks... Even thought I had video of me opening the box (I knew something was up when the box arrived and sounded like a box of rocks!). They said "you could have sealed the box back
...Show more

WTF seriously?

May 03, 2022 at 12:18 PM
Bob Nancarrow
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sellers beware

It doesn't matter who pays the paypal fees, the buyer gets ALL of their money back and the seller is out the fees and shipping cost. Even if you were to give your paypal address to someone and they sent you money via G&S and then one or the other of you changed your mind in minutes, the fees are gone. Paypal used to be somewhat fair in that if there was a return/refund, they waived the fees. Now, no matter what, they keep the fees, and people don't seem to mind, but I do. Also to keep in mind that paypal now owns Venmo (I think) and Venmo has started similar policies as Paypal so it is no longer like paying cash to someone.

May 03, 2022 at 12:20 PM
Allyn Hill
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sellers beware

Have had it happen several times over the years. You can tell pretty quickly whether someone is sincere or they are full of shite. If they are full of shite I stand up to them, tell them to ship it back at their expense and I will inspect it. Otherwise, if I sense they are sincere, I refund them their money no questions asked. Most of the scammers in my experience are re-sellers that were never buying the equipment to personally use, they are just trying to find an excuse to get a cheaper price and usually offer to accept the equipment if you give them 10-20% off what you sold it to them for, figuring you would accept that over having it returned.

Edited on May 03, 2022 at 12:29 PM · View previous versions

May 03, 2022 at 12:25 PM
gm38
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sellers beware

As others have said, I am lucky I didn't get a "box of rocks" back. The camera is in excellent condition and I will probably use it for awhile. PayPal has acknowledged that they made an error in their decision. Appreciate all your input.

May 03, 2022 at 12:28 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sellers beware

cinema wrote:
.. i often see them asking on facebook "will this scratch on the viewfinder show up on my images" .

I use that excuse to get a discount on stuff I buy..

To the OP, I've had a buyer be shocked that there was some dust in a $50 40 year old lens. I said he could send it back or I could knock $10 off for him... just not worth my hassle and this stuff does happen.

When I sell stuff now here on FM, I tell the buyer if he's not happy just send it back. Because people have different opinions on the condition of gear and this way they don't have to worry. It also shows transparency on my end.

Your situation was different, but in the end the same result. It happens. The dood had buyer's remorse etc.

May 03, 2022 at 01:26 PM
wujohnny10
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sellers beware

Sorry to hear about your incident! Recently had someone purchase a film camera from me who didn't understand how to load a roll of 35mm film into a Leica M body, and demanded a refund because he said it was defective. Ultimately I had him send it back, realized there was nothing defective, and moved on. A lot worse stories to be had, but generally PP as mentioned supports the buyer and not the seller, so you are often SOL. People expect Amazon like return policies.

May 03, 2022 at 01:50 PM
chrisbernard

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sellers beware

All the more reason to use FredMiranda.com in my opinion. The outcome here was so much better than it could have been elsewhere. It was worth building my modest reputation here and I won't buy or sell used anywhere else at this point unless it's stuff I can inspect personally.

May 03, 2022 at 02:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.