Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2022 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

MARKFER
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Is changing a lens on occasion in the field an issue? Dust maybe? Could be. Pain in the butt? Maybe. It takes all of 45 seconds. I think this is the reason zooms were created right? That is the answer if any of the above is an issue. It's not a major issue for me. Sometimes I ride with what I have attached, even if it isn't the best, because I fall in the -Pain in the butt- category sometimes, but I buckle down eventually and take the 45 seconds.

May 04, 2022 at 10:47 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Prefer to use primes, but as an example in the middle of a stream, not sure what FL will be best I'll be using a zoom. If I go back next time it would be with the prime FL I used with the zoom

May 04, 2022 at 11:33 AM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

MARKFER wrote:
Is changing a lens on occasion in the field an issue? Dust maybe? Could be. Pain in the butt? Maybe. It takes all of 45 seconds. I think this is the reason zooms were created right? That is the answer if any of the above is an issue. It's not a major issue for me. Sometimes I ride with what I have attached, even if it isn't the best, because I fall in the -Pain in the butt- category sometimes, but I buckle down eventually and take the 45 seconds.

Agreed. And, I won't lie, I also love fine equipment, and the gear side of this hobby is part of the fun...so I think that is the reason to have both primes and zooms covering various focal lengths. It's fabulous justification for multiple lenses and cameras....

May 04, 2022 at 12:12 PM
Howie4life
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I recently went to the Caribbean so that my daughter could meet my parents and myself and the rest of our family could see them for the first time in 3+ years. I usually take 3+ lenses everywhere and they are mostly primes. Ironically on this trip I took 2 bodies and 2 zooms. I took the R5c and the RF 28-70 as well as the A1 and Tamron 35-150 2-2.8. It was fun not having choose or change lenses. On my last trip i just took a 35 1.4. I love that focal length, but the flexibly i had on this trip was awesome. Still a heavy setup but more than worth it.

May 04, 2022 at 12:23 PM
Younjulius
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

MARKFER wrote:

Since I’m not a pro, I don’t always go for the best composition, best focal length, and so on. Often times, it’s just recording lives around myself and how artistically great looking my photos are second priority. I use prime lenses when I’m trying hard to get best looking photos I can produce. In the opposite cases, I use a zoom lens or a single prime lens to get the best out of what I have at the moment and focus more on the aspects of my live.

May 05, 2022 at 12:17 AM
tuomkok
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

To some extent shooting primes is about sticking to a particular look, instead of changing focal from every picture to an other. This is most easy to see in wide to normal area where shooting with one lens and adapting to situation can produce very attracting series of pictures. For me this is often the reason to stick with 35mm

BTW Very nice 35mm picture Howie4life!

There are also situations when zoom wins primes hands down and 6-0. Dust, wind, very quick situations... Flexibility of a zoom rules when one just has to get the picture. Prime is not universally the best choice.

May 05, 2022 at 01:15 AM
racetratr

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Very interesting thread; thanks for all the varied insights. I think there are different mindsets and ways of working for different photographic purposes. Some well known photographers, like Cartier-Bresson, rarely changed lenses. He saw the world acutely with a 50mm frame, and when a momentary situation happened, he recognized it and framed it instantly and masterfully.

I usually go out with a single lens in the city. That keeps me super loose and mobile in the street, and intensifies my focus on particular aspects of a dense visual environment. It also lends itself to creating series of images with certain visual and style qualities. I tend to go with 35mm these days, but I sometimes go out with just a 25mm, 85mm or 135mm, looking for other kinds of images.

My photography relies on extreme concentration, and limiting some of the variables helps intensify that (for me). At least in the city, I almost never feel bad about missing a shot that I could have gotten with another lens. And I pretty much always find plenty of things I connect with and want to photograph by being in a certain mental and visual zone and "frame" of mind. That's just me, though.

May 05, 2022 at 02:09 PM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Around home when I know what to expect I usually only bring A7RII and one lens (CV 50/1.5 or CV 75/1.5 VM). Occasionally I also add the tiny CV 28/2, but rarely end up using it.

For traveling and local car trips I bring two cameras (want a back-up camera and if I bring one I can just as well use it) and either:
CV 28/2 + CV 50/1.5 or
CV 35/1.7 + CV 75/1.5 mounted + CV 21/3.5 in a wrapping underneath.
Since the lenses are pretty small all of this easily fits in the Think Tank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag. Overall I rarely have to change lenses, but if needed I don't hesitate to do it.

fuzzykeys wrote:
The bigger problem for me when switching lenses is also switching filters when I need to use them. I pretty much only use CPLs and diffusion filters, but my primes don’t all have the same thread size. It’s definitely a bit cumbersome to switch lenses, take the filter off the larger lens, remove the hood on the smaller lens and put it in the bag, attach a step ring, screw the filter on, etc. Life would be much simpler if all of my lenses had the same thread size. Would be curious to hear from folks that are doing this
...Show more

Something that works very well for me is buying all filters in the same size; i.e. the largest lens diameter I own, which is 62mm. Since step-up rings are really cheap I have bought a step-up to 62mm for all my lenses and keep them mounted at all times instead of the hoods. They make the lenses more compact and still offer some protection and this way I can easily switch filters between the lenses.

May 09, 2022 at 03:15 AM
aCuria
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I change lenses whenever the situation calls for it. Usually I don’t have to change with great frequency but it can be annoying when I have to

For example when at the zoo swapping between a telephoto (animals) and a wide prime (for environmental portraits of my kid) can be very frequent

May 12, 2022 at 08:14 PM
thechandra

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

For me it depends on what I'm going to be shooting. Before I go out I have an idea of what I'll be shooting and I bring the appropriate set of 2 or sometimes 3 lenses. I switch lenses to get the shot I see in my head or the shot I want when I'm on site. Changing lenses in the field doesn't bother me, I change the lens with the camera facing down and if I think dust may be an issue I have a mini blower with me. I'm mainly a landscape guy and bring 17-28 and 70-200 90% of the time. I like variety of shots so I shoot wide and long. I also do multi day backpacking trips and I've done many trips with just two lenses (wide and short tele primes) and I have to swap the primes often. For more general stuff then I'll usually just bring a mid zoom and that's it. Swapping lenses shouldn't be a limitation in the field, rarely does dust stop me, takes 5 seconds to remove in post if it's noticeable. However you shouldn't bring every prime you have so that you don't get analysis paralysis when you are out there, bring a couple that cover totally different focal lengths. Variety is the spice of life and non photogs that look at your pics will appreciate different focal lengths if you share your pics.

May 12, 2022 at 09:39 PM
Younjulius
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I was at a prom last week. I brought 24-105g for group shots and candid shots and 85mm for portraits. I switched between the two like ten times in the couple hours.

Since I’m not used to the event, and obviously had no control over what’s happening, I found myself with a wrong lens more often than not. I eventually just stuck with the zoom lens and gave up taking portraits with shallow depth of field. I wasn’t being lazy with lens switching but my inexperience didn’t help with using right lens for the right moments.

I thought a 2.8 zoom lens could get me bette4 subject separations, and then I don’t think I could handheld shots at 105mm with my shaky hands without the help of OSS.

May 12, 2022 at 09:54 PM
GHarris
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Younjulius wrote:
I was at a prom last week. I brought 24-105g for group shots and candid shots and 85mm for portraits. I switched between the two like ten times in the couple hours.

Since I’m not used to the event, and obviously had no control over what’s happening, I found myself with a wrong lens more often than not. I eventually just stuck with the zoom lens and gave up taking portraits with shallow depth of field. I wasn’t being lazy with lens switching but my inexperience didn’t help with using right lens for the right moments.

I thought a 2.8 zoom lens
...Show more

That's one strong example of a situation where a TriLens is an enormous help. Two or three lenses immediately to hand at all times, easy switching back and forth between them, taking only a few seconds each time and with less fiddle and juggling than would otherwise be the case. I have used a TriLens often to photograph private events like proms, it's tremendously helpful for it. There are no disadvantages to such a gadget in these kinds of situations, it's not a pickpocketing or street robbery risk, just an enormous help. I get to use primes, with their lower ISOs (very relevant for indoor event shooting), high image quality and punchier depth of field, as I see fit, without the handling/convenience drawbacks - and rather than being limited to the various image quality compromises involved in using zooms.

"A set of primes plus a TriLens" is still distinctly slower to switch focal lengths than a zoom. But it nevertheless takes a lot of the delay, stress and fuss away - it makes a big difference. Honestly, your anecdote is a classic example of a situation where something like a TriLens would greatly alleviate your problem. I won't spam about it again unless directly asked (I don't own shares in these guys, honestly, I just find their gadget indispensable!), I promise, but this usage case was too obvious not to repeat my recommendation this one time.

I described the TriLens earlier in this thread-

GHarris wrote:
I use a much-derided accessory called a "TriLens" by "Frii Designs".

https://www.friidesigns.com/

It attaches to your belt and carries three lenses for quick changes.

It enables me to have three primes on the go rather than one. Two on your TriLens (leaving one slot empty on the Trilens), and one prime on your camera of course. When you want to swap lenses, you remove the lens from your camera, snap it onto the TriLens' empty spare slot, and then take one of the other lenses off the TriLens and snap it onto your camera.

It makes changing prime lenses very quick and easy. Just
...Show more

May 13, 2022 at 03:51 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Younjulius wrote:

...Show more

This is a prime example of having the experience to know what's next how to prepare and be ready for the next shot. Nothing wrong here and do not feel like you blew it either. This happens to many hobbyists worldwide and typically what can happen. As a Pro I do this all the time but I gain from my past experience any time something maybe different. I typically ask a lot of questions on how the event is setup for one, what do they REALLY need, who is the important person in the room (CEO type or whomever) and more important knowing how certain events take place/ Like a wedding you KNOW there going to kiss lets say so you may have your long zoom on. Its all about knowing!!! so don't beat yourself up but learn from it. I been here many many moons ago and I still learn from the thousands of shoots I have done. Ive shot all over the globe so preparation is also a big. Ready for anything and if the shit hits the fan you know how to survive it. That one is extremely important one how to get yourself out of trouble and also how to avoid it in the first place.

Keep plugging away

May 13, 2022 at 08:04 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Younjulius wrote:
I’m the OP, and I don’t want this thread to turn to prime vs zoom lens debates. I’d rather learn how other prime lens users juggle their lenses in their photo taking scenarios. Thanks.

Bring two bodies with lenses mounted, and a third lens to switch out one of the bodies. Pretty easy!

May 13, 2022 at 08:33 AM
mudlake
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Younjulius wrote:

...Show more

This is the EXACT situation the 24-70/2.8 lenses were made for. Lots of variables (single portraits, group shots, two person portraits, large group, candids, and everything else you can think of). A good 24-70/2.8 can excel at all of them without ever having to change lenses. It frees your mind to think creatively without having to worry about what focal length you have on the camera. And you are always ready for anything that happens.

May 13, 2022 at 12:45 PM
letchhausen

p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I guess there's differing answers like there's differences between people. When I'm out I carry a CV 65mm on my A7RIV which stays on the camera probably 80% of the time. I also carry a Contax 35mm which covers the few occasions where I want to go wider. I don't change lenses that often, but it never occurred to me that there's a question there. I've tried zooms and to me the size and handling blows and the imagery is ugh.

May 13, 2022 at 01:52 PM
araudan

p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I use primes frequently when shooting for myself. I change them as needed. I often stick to one prime because I get used to the framing. It's not a 'primes or nothing' scenario for me. It also depends on the environment I'm heading into as well. I decide before going out whether I'm taking primes, zooms, or a mix. I just prefer prime lenses.

May 13, 2022 at 02:16 PM
doc4x5
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I have two questions, why are people in such a hurry? Changing lenses takes but a few seconds and with the previously mentioned exceptions of sand and spray, should not be "dangerous." I blow off my sensor a few times on a given expedition and rarely have dust issues. I agree with Guy's early comment that changing lenses is really not a big deal. The other one is why do people own lots of primes and then go out with only one? Can you really tell ahead of time what you'll want to photograph?

I recall when there was no such thing as a zoom lens and also the early days when zooms were noticeably inferior. Obviously one should use what you want but for me the image is what matters and I do what I must to capture it the way I want.

I took a hike the other day in the woods along the beautiful Salmon River outside Welches, Oregon. I took my time, made photos of old growth stumps close in, and views of falls and trees across the river. I took four lenses, 20G, 35GM, 50 CV/APO, and 85FE. I probably should have taken the 135 Batis too but didn't. I used all the lenses I brought, despite different filter sizes and made use of ND filters to blur the flowing river. In the great scheme of things one or even two lenses doesn't change the total weight that much. My Mindshift 26L pack weighs about 7 pounds with my filters, rings, various cloths, such and water. The lenses were another 5-6 pounds and I took my small Gitzo tripod and Acratech head,3.6 pounds. It was a very satisfying trip. I saw not a single human all day, no cell service either so I was definitely alone. Heavenly. The images are what I usually get on such trips, some pretty decent, some not so much.

May 13, 2022 at 03:22 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Well us older folks cut our teeth on primes back in the day and any zoom kinda sucked but given your doing event type stuff than your safer bet is the 24-70 and once you gain the the experience than you can do more primes more effectively. Having like a 135/105/85 would go well with a 24-70

May 13, 2022 at 03:28 PM
Younjulius
• •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

GMPhotography wrote:
Well us older folks cut our teeth on primes back in the day and any zoom kinda sucked but given your doing event type stuff than your safer bet is the 24-70 and once you gain the the experience than you can do more primes more effectively. Having like a 135/105/85 would go well with a 24-70

Thank you for the kind words earlier. Luckily for everyone including myself event shooting is rare for me and mostly my shooting experience is must more relaxed taking photos of what I like not what I need. A luxury for the hobbyist, haha.

I use zoom lenses when I care less of the outcomes or need to take videos. My primes lenses are try hard lenses, at least in my standard.

May 13, 2022 at 10:46 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.