Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

doc4x5 wrote:
I have two questions, why are people in such a hurry? Changing lenses takes but a few seconds and with the previously mentioned exceptions of sand and spray, should not be "dangerous." I blow off my sensor a few times on a given expedition and rarely have dust issues. I agree with Guy's early comment that changing lenses is really not a big deal. The other one is why do people own lots of primes and then go out with only one? Can you really tell ahead of time what you'll want to photograph?

I'm probably the wrong person to answer your questions, but I'll still give it a try.

When I'm shooting landscapes on my own like you did on the trip you described, I'm usually in no hurry and primarily use MF primes, but when traveling with family, I appreciate not having to change lenses. Of course, as kids grow older this becomes less of an issue, but still.

Also, the reality is that unless you adapt non-native glass, you simply cannot replace zooms like the 70-200G2, 100-400 GM or 200-600 with primes, even if you wanted to. After all there are no 200mm or 300mm primes available for e-mount at this point.

As for your second question: It seems that many people either want to force themselves to use a particular prime and/or feel that "less is more" helps improve their creavity. For me, that strategy simply doesn't work. If I see a very nice landscape, and don't have the FL with me to capture it the way I want, I get angry at myself (for not having brought the appropriate lens); but to each their own, I guess.

May 14, 2022 at 12:04 AM
guyharrison
• • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I love my prime set but am very spoiled by zooms, but not for the reason people think. I typically use zooms the same way I use my primes--that is I visualize the composition (what I want in the scene) and perspective (how the objects in the scene appear in relation to each other (wide angle to emphasize foreground, normal, or telephoto if I want to compress). I have been shooting long enough that I "know" in my mind what prime is going to work for my idea. I then zoom to the focal length I think will be best, and then set up my tripod or pick my spot if I am handlholding. Sometimes, the prime will not frame the scene just exactly how I want--it might take in too much, or, more irritatingly, not take in quite enough. With a zoom I can "fine tune" the framing to frame it just like I want by small adjustments that really do not change the composition ad perspective that I have used.

May 14, 2022 at 06:45 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

guyharrison wrote:
I love my prime set but am very spoiled by zooms, but not for the reason people think. I typically use zooms the same way I use my primes--that is I visualize the composition (what I want in the scene) and perspective (how the objects in the scene appear in relation to each other (wide angle to emphasize foreground, normal, or telephoto if I want to compress). I have been shooting long enough that I "know" in my mind what prime is going to work for my idea. I then zoom to the focal length I think will be best,
...Show more

That's exactly how zooms should be used.

If more people understood this most "primes vs. zooms" threads would never be created.

May 14, 2022 at 09:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

DaveFP wrote:
That's exactly how zooms should be used.

If more people understood this most "primes vs. zooms" threads would never be created.

That might how zooms should be used...but there is still a huge difference going out photographing with a zoom compared to a prime. With the zoom, you are still scanning ( visualizing ) the scene with multiple focal lengths in mind, then choosing the best focal length for the composition you want. With a prime, I'm looking for images that fit into the one focal length of the prime, ignoring images that don't fit into that focal length. My entire vision of the scenes in front of me is with that one focal length.

For me at least, that is a big difference in how I would use a zoom versus a prime.

May 14, 2022 at 10:41 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

chez wrote:
That might how zooms should be used...but there is still a huge difference going out photographing with a zoom compared to a prime. With the zoom, you are still scanning ( visualizing ) the scene with multiple focal lengths in mind, then choosing the best focal length for the composition you want. With a prime, I'm looking for images that fit into the one focal length of the prime, ignoring images that don't fit into that focal length. My entire vision of the scenes in front of me is with that one focal length.

For me at least, that is a
...Show more

The vast majority of my images have been taken with primes so I understand exactly what you are saying.

Thing is; that's only really true when you are out with a single prime.

Once you pack multiple primes the difference rapidly diminishes

You pack your Batii 25, 40, and 85

I've got my 24-70 GM which is to say I have 25, 40, and 85ish lenses too.

You cycle through your bag to pick the right prime for the desired outcome.

I am doing the very same thing with my zoom ring.

In practical terms it isn't all that different.

Again; single prime outing - yes. Focal length is a given so you can only consider a compatible subject and perspective.

With a single prime you don't have to tie up random access memory maintaining awareness of the possibilities for each focal length available.

May 14, 2022 at 11:03 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

DaveFP wrote:
The vast majority of my images have been taken with primes so I understand exactly what you are saying.

Thing is; that's only really true when you are out with a single prime.

Once you pack multiple primes the difference rapidly diminishes

You pack your Batii 25, 40, and 85

I've got my 24-70 GM which is to say I have 25, 40, and 85ish lenses too.

You cycle through your bag to pick the right prime for the desired outcome.

I am doing the very same thing with my zoom ring.

In practical terms it isn't all that different.

Again; single prime outing - yes. Focal length
...Show more

I vary rarely change a prime when I'm out shooting. If I go out for the day, I'll shoot say the entire morning with my 25mm and "hunt" for images that bring the audience right into the picture, making them feel they are right there. Then in the afternoon, I might change the prime to say the 85mm, and look for more isolated images that focus on individuals. I never turn the corner and say...hey, there is a great telephoto image and quickly flip primes. I would not even see that telephoto image as my mind ( focus ) would be on wide angle prime.

May 14, 2022 at 11:31 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password