Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2022 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Younjulius
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I love my prime lenses. Since photography is my hobby taking photos for pleasure, I can be reluctant to switch lenses. I don’t have enough time to make the shots or even simply too lazy sometimes would be the reasons.

I wonder how other hobbyist photographers deal with the lens switching. I usually plan ahead of what lens to use when and where and mostly stick with it, passing on chances to take shots with a different lens at unplanned timings, unless I feel compelled.

May 01, 2022 at 04:36 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I rarely change primes in the field, preferring to pick the prime I think will be most relevant to my plans for the morning/afternoon/day and sticking with that. If I don't know what the day might bring, or if I know it'll bring a range of opportunities, I tend to use a zoom and take one fast prime in case I need it (but I rarely do).

Walking around NYC I usually have either my Batis 40/2 or Zony 55/1.8 on the camera, for example, and no other lenses. Traveling, I usually take a 24-105 and one of those two primes as a fast alternative. For anything involving wildlife I won't take a prime at all (mainly because I can't afford the big telephoto primes!)

May 01, 2022 at 06:24 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

For all practical purpose I don't switch primes.

I see "prime photography" as a special sort of outing where I am "working" the lens and all it represents for the day.

True whether I am carrying one body or two.

On occasion I will pack the FE 28mm when out shooting street with a 35 in case I am in a tight spot where I want the larger f.o.v.

May 01, 2022 at 06:34 PM
zugzwang2
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I haven't used a zoom lens for years, so if I want a different view I change lenses--but seldom more than a few times a day. I usually carry no more than two lenses, and in practice the lens that starts out on the camera tends to stay there.

May 01, 2022 at 07:09 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

While lens changes can be an efficient 90 second operation when needed, the best solution for light systems is two cameras - simply continue using your existing camera when you 'upgrade', each carrying the other lens you may need.

Having said that, each lens you know well develops its own equivalent mindset niche so you see the world as it does. Try to avoid looking at various photo opps that are suitable for all focal lengths - that is zoomer thinking, and it just adds distraction to the true prime lens aficionado. Plan the outing and choose the right prime accordingly.

May 01, 2022 at 07:42 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I used to travel with 3 prime lenses and eventually ended up doing what philip_pj said and bought two cameras. With one camera, it was very inefficient and not great to try to swap lenses in the middle of a city or while hiking (talk about being a target).

With two cameras it was tolerable but after consolidating to a Sony A1 (which cost more than my two cameras combined), I've concluded it's better to just use zooms to minimize lens switching. Currently thinking of the Sony 16-35mm f4 + 70-200mm GM II + the 35mm GM although tempted to work in the 24-70mm GM into the line up somehow but it's still a bit bigger than I'd like.

May 01, 2022 at 08:37 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I typically go out with one prime for the morning, then switch up with another prime for the rest of the day, sometimes covering the same area as before. I focus my vision to the prime I have on my camera and just don’t pay attention to other focal lengths.

May 01, 2022 at 08:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I never put on a lens than go look for images with it for that lens. I see a image by my eye than Decide what i need to get the image i have on my mind. I will switch lenses all day long and at any time.

Learn to SEE without the camera. The image is already there just need to record it

May 01, 2022 at 09:30 PM
fuzzykeys
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I agree with Guy. Whatever the right lens for the shot is and unless I’m in a sandstorm or being rained on, I don’t mind changing lenses at all. I usually roll with 3 primes.

Edited on May 01, 2022 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2022 at 09:44 PM
akashyap
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I usually pick one for the day / afternoon / evening, and only switch at home or the hotel later.

May 01, 2022 at 09:46 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Depends very much on my goal. If it’s just walking around and seeing what I can get without bothering about getting everything one prime is fine. If I really want to capture what’s going on, I will switch as necessary (or take a zoom). Ideally, I take two identical cameras to make switching lenses less necessary.

May 01, 2022 at 10:20 PM
Younjulius
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

It’s great to hear what others are doing with this dilemma that I’ve had for a while.

May 01, 2022 at 11:00 PM
hasenbein
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

That's why I use zoom lenses.

May 01, 2022 at 11:19 PM
octo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

On average about every 30 minutes or so. Heh at least I learned how to change them fast.

May 01, 2022 at 11:22 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

GMPhotography wrote:
I never put on a lens than go look for images with it for that lens. I see a image by my eye than Decide what i need to get the image i have on my mind. I will switch lenses all day long and at any time.

Learn to SEE without the camera. The image is already there just need to record it

This all day and every day. It is beyond me to see why people are determined to hobble their vision by insisting they stay with the lens they started with. Fine if you are testing a lens but it makes no sense whatsoever if it is the location you are exploring and not the lens. This is even more applicable when just shooting with primes.

I often carry two cameras and have different lenses on them, but generally that wouldn't be my preference simply because of the extra weight. That is my modus operandi when on long trips away from home though - even then I may still switch out lenses as I can easily use 4 or 5 lenses in a full day's shooting.

Some people don't like to switch lenses because of dust, which is a larger issue on mirrorless, however again that is a decision that stifles vision.
With ML I not only take more care switching over lenses (even down to switching lenses in a large plastic bag in excessively windy or dusty locations) but I also carry a blower and wet wipes with me just in case, even a wet clean in a car or wind free environment just takes 2 mins.

Choose the lens that best fits your vision don't force a composition to suit the lens on your camera.

May 01, 2022 at 11:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

I really don’t put too much into worrying about dust. Of course I try to avoid it but never to get in my way. Worst case you may have to clean up images in post and I’m very good at sensor cleaning. It’s not a big deal but it is a big deal if your missing shots because your afraid to change lenses.

May 02, 2022 at 12:14 AM
fuzzykeys
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

GMPhotography wrote:
I really don’t put too much into worrying about dust. Of course I try to avoid it but never to get in my way. Worst case you may have to clean up images in post and I’m very good at sensor cleaning. It’s not a big deal but it is a big deal if your missing shots because your afraid to change lenses.

Agreed. I just don’t worry about it 90+% of the time. Now if you are shooting a lot of video…ok…you’re not going to want to clone dust spots out of the sky at smaller apertures when the camera is moving. For stills, meh. 1 second fix most of the time.

May 02, 2022 at 12:50 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

My only rules of thumb are to avoid changing them in crowded places and sandstorms. Oh, and on boats in choppy water (that was a hard lesson learned).

May 02, 2022 at 01:31 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

Nowadays because of the excellent and fast zooms available I will seldom go out with a prime only but if I do I tend to carry the Leica Q2 (28mm fixed lens) and the FE55 on my Sony body. if working I will occasionally use FE85mm for portrait sessions but have to say that now I have really switched to the Tampon 35-150 for almost everything. I will also use the FE90 macro.

May 02, 2022 at 02:20 AM
LeeRatters
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How often do you change your prime lenses when you shoot photos?

GMPhotography wrote:

This ^^

I don't see it a dilemma. You buy these cameras for the ability to change lenses to suit what you want to capture.

May 02, 2022 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.