New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Anyone with actual experience comparing the image results of the 50MP Fuji cameras compared to the Phase One 40MP back on a Hasselblad 501 camera?

Looking at the possibility of the 40 MP back as I already have the Hasselblad outfit.

But, the Fuji is much newer and all the benefits of that may dictate a new camera & lenses if I am to move into the format.

May 01, 2022 at 10:17 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Have you asked at GetDPI? Much more active P1 MF community there.

May 01, 2022 at 11:40 AM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Higher resolution but if you don't print big enough to utilize the extra megapixels shoudn't matter

May 08, 2022 at 05:12 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

BrandonSi wrote:
Have you asked at GetDPI? Much more active P1 MF community there.

You beat me to it.

May 08, 2022 at 07:17 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

I haven't used them in that set-up, but I have used the 40MP sensor in an H3D 40 and currently own the GFX 50sII. At base ISO, the 40MP sensor is capable of great things once you've got your back set for your color preferences. You can't stray much from base before you'll need to rely on noise reduction software to get a clean image and, even at base, you'll need to rely on light modifiers (ND grads, fill light) or exposure blending to avoid having to push the files much in post.

The 50MP sensor is one I've used in multiple set-ups, and its dynamic range is no joke. And Fuji gives you all the same color control you'd get from an older Phase back and then some. Fuji really aced the implementation of the sensor with the 50sII.

The shooting experience is vastly different. The 50sII is relatively tiny and feels nothing like shooting with a 501. If the chimney finder/OVF and the overall experience of the Hassy is key, I'd look for an IQ150 or CFV (II) 50. If it had to be a CCD based back, I'd save for the P65+ or IQ160. They aren't much more flexible than the 40, but you'll take a substantially bigger bite out the V lenses' ICs.

Just my two cents. I hope it helps.

May 09, 2022 at 12:18 AM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Uuuuuh ... I doubt anyone is able to actually see the difference between 40 and 50 Megapixel.

That would basically being able to see the difference between 9x9 and 10x10 pixels (81 and 100 Pixels). So thats just 10% less actual resolution. Not gonna happen.

May 09, 2022 at 07:30 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Indeed, the difference between 40MP and 50MP is arguably inconsequential. I did a rough estimate yesterday and then through better of posting. Basically, if you are doing large prints and you go with 200 ppi in the file and interpolate to a higher print resolution (not an usual choice at all) you'd get a roughly 36.7 inch wide print from the 40MP system and about 4.5" wider from the 50MP system. If you printed at the same size there would likely be no visible difference between the two prints.

Another way to think of this is that it is like comparing a 8MP and 10MP system. Those of use who have used digital for a while remember that difference, and it was marginal... even in a situation where we were starting with much lower resolution.

If you were starting from scratch and could find all of the lenses you need for Fujifilm, today most photographers would be better served by that system. However, if you already have a full slate of Hassie gear that you want to keep using, getting this back (or another compatible back) could make economic sense.

But image resolution is likely to be among the least significant differences.

May 09, 2022 at 09:42 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

gdanmitchell wrote:
Indeed, the difference between 40MP and 50MP is arguably inconsequential. I did a rough estimate yesterday and then through better of posting. Basically, if you are doing large prints and you go with 200 ppi in the file and interpolate to a higher print resolution (not an usual choice at all) you'd get a roughly 36.7 inch wide print from the 40MP system and about 4.5" wider from the 50MP system. If you printed at the same size there would likely be no visible difference between the two prints.

Another way to think of this is that it is like
...Show more

It isn't 40 MP vs. 50 MP that is the difference. It is that those pixels are very very different between these sensor. So it isn't the number of pixels it is the type of pixels. The Fuji has a CMOS sensor and the Phase 40 MP sensor is CCD, at least I think that is right and those are very different technologies. The CMOS sensor at this point can handle high ISO without noise a lot better. Some really like the CCD at base ISO as Brad noted. Very different technologies here, so that is what you need to focus on rather than the number of pixels.

May 09, 2022 at 11:09 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

^^^

1. That was basically my point — MP isn't a significant different, but other things might be.

2. I'm utterly shocked that you would publicly admit to agreeing with me on something.

May 09, 2022 at 12:57 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

gdanmitchell wrote:
^^^

1. That was basically my point — MP isn't a significant different, but other things might be.

2. I'm utterly shocked that you would publicly admit to agreeing with me on something.

Dan we actually agree on a lot, but certainly not everything.

May 09, 2022 at 05:24 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 50MP Fuji compared to 40MP Phase One on Hasselblad

Yeah, the concern here should be the performance differences between the CCD 40 and the CMOS 50, which may or may not matter depending on how you use it. CCDs are generally great with landscape and controlled lighting shoots, you just need to treat them the way you'd treat an a900/DsIII/D3 that doesn't do higher than ISO 1600 (not that you would want to, if it could). I do think there's a strong argument not to limit yourself to the 44x33 sensors when looking at DBs. You can find older backs that have 48x36 as well as the 645 "FF." You won't do better in the 44x33's than the CMOS 50, but going with a larger CCD sensor helps to balance out the limitations.

May 09, 2022 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.