New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

waiting for M1X firmware update?

lanergan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

Hi Everyone,

Some users say the OM1 has improved AF/Tracking (see link below for an example), and it seems many are selling their M1X to upgrade. I am holding on to my M1X, hoping for a firmware upgrade to improve AF/Tracking. Anyone doing the same thing?

https://mcaughtry.photo/om1-for-birds-in-flight-better-than-the-a9/

John

Apr 30, 2022 at 06:41 PM
johnvanr
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

I doubt the AF on the X will ever match the OM-1

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:39 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

The improved AI subject tracking is because the new processor in the OM-1 is about 5x faster when doing subject detection than what the dual processors in the E-M1X can do; no firmware update is going to bridge that gap. The sad reality is that other than the addition of what I would consider a beta build of the AI bird tracking mode, we never really saw any meaningful FW updates to the E-M1X and I doubt we'll see any more in the future.

May 01, 2022 at 12:19 AM
ElvisD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

The software for the OM-1 was written to maximize the capabilities of the much faster processor and the improved sensor.

They could take some of what they learned in that process and apply it to the E-M1X, so far as its relative limitations would allow.

I'd welcome any improvement, but it would likely be marginal.

May 01, 2022 at 07:13 AM
lanergan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

ElvisD: I agree, a 10-20% AF/tracking improvement would be great, like FW 3.0 did for the M1II. I prefer the M1X build over the smaller bodies.

May 01, 2022 at 10:37 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

lanergan wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Some users say the OM1 has improved AF/Tracking (see link below for an example), and it seems many are selling their M1X to upgrade. I am holding on to my M1X, hoping for a firmware upgrade to improve AF/Tracking. Anyone doing the same thing?

https://mcaughtry.photo/om1-for-birds-in-flight-better-than-the-a9/

John

The OM-1 has a totally different AF system - not something that can be tweaked with a firmware update on an E-M1X.

May 01, 2022 at 03:45 PM
lanergan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

Some posters here don't think the M1X will get an AF improvement via FW update. They may be right, but I hope they will be wrong!

The M1X has two image processors, albeit older generation 8, so it should have the processing power for some improvement in AF, which is partly software based. Olympus did it before with FW 3 for the M1-II. The question remains whether OMD-S has enough resources and incentives to update the 3 years old M1X. Only time will tell.

May 03, 2022 at 11:28 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

lanergan wrote:
Some posters here don't think the M1X will get an AF improvement via FW update. They may be right, but I hope they will be wrong!

The M1X has two image processors, albeit older generation 8, so it should have the processing power for some improvement in AF, which is partly software based. Olympus did it before with FW 3 for the M1-II. The question remains whether OMD-S has enough resources and incentives to update the 3 years old M1X. Only time will tell.

It will come right after the firmware update that increases the sensor size to full frame...

May 03, 2022 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lanergan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

It's unfortunate that this thread has descended to this level ... This place is toxic, full of insecure people engaging in one-upmanship. I am sorry that I posted this thread.

May 03, 2022 at 04:36 PM
jcisaacs

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

I just put my E-M1X up for sale. I have doubts that they will update E-M1X firmware. I never did care for the E-M1X; it's too big. But they didn't update it with the Custom Modes Save Settings "HOLD" feature and it doesn't fit my workflow. And they didn't add Starry Sky AF (which I read they cannot do).

May 07, 2022 at 06:03 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

lanergan wrote:
It's unfortunate that this thread has descended to this level ... This place is toxic, full of insecure people engaging in one-upmanship. I am sorry that I posted this thread.

I'm sorry you posted such a silly thread, and that you then turned into a delusional one. 😅

Why can't you understand that the OM-1's greatly improved AF performance is based on better hardware (sensor and processor) and not just firmware... and why do you then somehow think it's "toxic" or "insecurity" or "one-upmanship" when people point out these facts?

May 09, 2022 at 12:15 AM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

jcisaacs wrote:
And they didn't add Starry Sky AF (which I read they cannot do).

That's almost certainly not true that they cannot add it, just that they won't. Truepic IX = Truepic VIII; they're basically the same chip unlike Truepic X. The most complicated improvement of the E-M1iii, the updated face detection/tracking algorithm, was integrated into the E-M10iv which also uses a Truepic VIII so it's extremely unlikely that any of the E-M1iii features cannot be ported over to the E-M1X. The OM-1 features are a different story though.

May 09, 2022 at 09:38 AM
rjn_design
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

For me I just picked up a used E-M1x which I cannot be happier with. If the OM-1 was more readily available I would have gotten that so in the mean time I love the 1x. I shoot birds and motorsports with the 300mm Pro lens and since getting the 1x my keeper rate increased over the E-M1 mark III which I was using last few years. For me if I was to wish for present from OM Systems would be a new E-M1x with OM-1s view finder, sensor and processors, I find the larger 1x just fits my hand so well and perfect for the larger telephoto lenses.

May 10, 2022 at 07:35 AM
jcisaacs

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

I cannot find the article I read about Starry Sky AF. But your statement that TruePic IX = TruePic VIII is not correct.

This article on an interview with Masanori Sako (Senior Manager of Global Marketing Strategy for Olympus Imaging Division) has several mentions of the differences between those processors.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/05/06/olympus-interview-em1ii-will-stay-starry-sky-af-and-more

There was some reference to the lack of room in the dual TruePic VIII for additional AI subjects (this would explain why some features of E-M1 III have not made it back to the E-M1X.

There was some reference to the TruePic IX being able to do things it took the dual TruePic VIII to do (this would explain why some features of the E-M1 III have not made it back to the E-M1 II.

Finally, they mentioned that they might be looking at adding AF AI to the E-M1 III. That hasn't happened, and it may be that there isn't room in the TruePic IX to combine AF AI and StarrySky AF (just like it seems it might not be possible with the TruePic VIII).

So, if it is actually the case that TruePic IX = dual TruePic VIII, then if there isn't room for both features in one, then there isn't in the other, and you get AF AI in the E-M1X and Starry Sky AF in the E-M1 III and have to now get an OM-1 to get both features with the TruePic X which apparently has room for both functions.

Or it could have just been a business decision to either differentiate the models or not spend money/resources updating either camera.

Either way, I never did like the E-M1X form factor. I bought one shortly after it was released and sent it back. I then bought another for a lot less money because I had ordered a 150-400 and wanted the AF AI to use on it. Once I got an OM-1, and tested it out, the E-M1X was destined for sale.

May 10, 2022 at 08:21 AM
jcisaacs

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

I have sold my E-M1X.

I was never happy with the size of the camera; it didn't fit in many of my camera bags.

I might have considered keeping it, if they had updated the operations with the changes made to the E-M1 III. Especially the Custom Setting "Hold" capability, which I am incorporating into my workflow. They did not, so it's got to go.

I am keeping the E-M1 III for it's size and features.

May 10, 2022 at 10:12 PM
coldnerves

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · waiting for M1X firmware update?

Like many here I have different camera brands (bodies/lenses)...I for one love the EM1X body. Love the built in grip, plus it balances very well with my 150-400 F4.5.

May 18, 2022 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password