FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2022 · Naomi Judd

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Naomi Judd

JohnSil wrote:
Peter, beautiful image. Very well composed. Definitely a magazine quality image. I love the colors, they go ell together. And man, that's a lot of red hair!!!
John

Lots of red hair and the whoopie cushions that Naomi like to play tricks with.

May 01, 2022 at 10:32 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Naomi Judd

Peter Figen wrote:
Lots of red hair and the whoopie cushions that Naomi like to play tricks with.

LoL, more lately she probably owned an iPhone with the whoopee cushion app!!!
John

May 02, 2022 at 12:23 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Naomi Judd

Lovely. The overall colour combination is near perfect. Out of curiosity, what f-stop & focal length ?

May 02, 2022 at 04:56 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Naomi Judd

Just an outstanding composition Peter!!!
She was a beautiful and extremely talented woman!

Her loss will be missed by all!
Dan

May 02, 2022 at 08:51 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Naomi Judd

Peter, you might find this essay be Sean Dietrich (Sean of the South) touching.

Dear Naomi

May 02, 2022 at 09:45 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Naomi Judd

dmacmillan wrote:

Dear Naomi

Thanks for posting this "dmac"!!
Dan

May 02, 2022 at 09:52 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Naomi Judd

Fabulous image, Peter! If I understand correctly, you're only given a short period of time to get the shot. Do they tell you ahead of time that they like to show the left side of their face so you can set up the light accordingly, or do they just go with whatever setup you have?

May 02, 2022 at 10:40 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Naomi Judd

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Lovely. The overall colour combination is near perfect. Out of curiosity, what f-stop & focal length ?

Rajan - I pretty much never kept notes on any of my film shoots. If this was on the RB before I got the RZ's then it would have been on a 180mm lens and probably in the f/11-f/16 range. You needed a bit more aperture and since there was some depth here with one slightly behind the other I'm going to lean toward f/16 here.

And the reason I never kept notes is because I had to do that extensively on my first assisting job - micro details like measuring the distance from the lens to the ground and to the subject, the distance and height of each light, the angle of the camera and each light, the aperture and shutter speed, each strobe pack power setting and on and on and on. We never once referred back to that stuff and I hated it and just never did it for myself.

May 02, 2022 at 03:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Naomi Judd

friscoron wrote:
Fabulous image, Peter! If I understand correctly, you're only given a short period of time to get the shot. Do they tell you ahead of time that they like to show the left side of their face so you can set up the light accordingly, or do they just go with whatever setup you have?

Ron - thanks. These types of shots where you'd set up back stage at Caesar's (and I shot Earth Wind and Fire there too) you'd get to set up your lights and backdrop and shoot a few Polaroids of your assistant then wait for them to show up. You might have 15-20 minutes and then they were off to get ready for their show so you had to work fast and pretty much know what you wanted to do. The magazines never told me how to light or from which side although if it worked the best, as it did here, I might prefer lighting from the left as that's how most of us read, well at least here in this country.

May 02, 2022 at 03:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Naomi Judd

dmacmillan wrote:

Dear Naomi

Thanks for posting that Doug. As someone who has been dealing with a severely mentally ill sibling for the last twenty years and more intensely in the last five, I know all too well how mental illness (delusional schizophrenia in this case) can affect both the individual and the family members involved. Too many types of mental illnesses unfortunately and some seem like they're more prone to suicidal tendencies, sometimes by direct action and sometimes indirectly and being involved with poorly trained law enforcement. I have no doubt that if my sister had been living in L.A. the first time she was arrested, she would have been shot but thankfully both Monterey and Santa Cruz County LEO, sheriff's, police and highway patrol have had extensive deescalation and mental illness training.

May 02, 2022 at 03:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Naomi Judd

I guess the moderator saved me the trouble of having to respond to one slightly troubling post here as it seems to have magically disappeared. Probably a good thing for all concerned.

May 02, 2022 at 03:52 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Naomi Judd

With the right vision and skill you can certainly make wonderful images without a lot of time. This is a great example of that. Not a lot of room for error with transparency film either. Just a fantastic image. What a passport photography can be. Did you color gel the background light? I think I said this earlier that it is a wonderful use of color. The red tones, pink guitar pick and that blue dress. The image is about as good as it gets and back stage in not ideal circumstances. Agan VERY WELL DONE....

May 02, 2022 at 05:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Naomi Judd

airfrogusmc wrote:
With the right vision and skill you can certainly make wonderful images without a lot of time. This is a great example of that. Not a lot of room for error with transparency film either. Just a fantastic image. What a passport photography can be. Did you color gel the background light? I think I said this earlier that it is a wonderful use of color. The red tones, pink guitar pick and that blue dress. The image is about as good as it gets and back stage in not ideal circumstances. Agan VERY WELL DONE....

That is so nice of you to say, and having seen many of your images, I know you know what you're talking about. Did I gel the background? Hell, I can't remember. Chances are there was a warming gel as I did that a lot back then, but this is well over thirty years ago and the specifics are a little fuzzy now but the image is still sharp.

May 02, 2022 at 05:36 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Naomi Judd

Ha ha. I hear brother. I can't remember my shoot Friday.

May 02, 2022 at 05:47 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Naomi Judd

Metadata is a wonderful thing.

May 02, 2022 at 06:29 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Naomi Judd

Lovely portrait Peter!

Peter Figen wrote:
We lost the mother of the great mother/daughter band The Judds today. This photo was for the cover of Frets Magazine back in their heyday - the late 1980's, shot backstage at Caesar's Palace. Weirdly, Carl Perkins, Mr. Blue Suede Shoes himself, was the opener and I shot him for Guitar Player during the same session.

May 06, 2022 at 10:06 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Naomi Judd

James Markus wrote:
Lovely portrait Peter!

Thanks so much James.

May 07, 2022 at 03:51 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Naomi Judd

Congrats on winning the featured thread. Your photo was heads and shoulders above the other ones considered.

I was sorry to read of mental illness problems you've had to deal with. Through experience I know how heartbreaking it can be.

May 14, 2022 at 03:20 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Naomi Judd

Thanks Doug. I'm not really aware of even what Featured Thread means. I mean, yes, I understand what it means but I've never once thought about it and it has never once been a goal or a reason for posting an image. I know that this is a pretty good image but I have no ideal what else was being considered, and all things being equal, I just a soon simply post an image and not have it eligible for some weird accolade.

Ashley Judd came out with a statement earlier this week, not really giving us that much more information but certainly intimating that Naomi's depression resulted in suicide, all without actually saying that. It's even more difficult to understand when the person killing themselves seems to have everything that a normal person could want in their lives, except, of course that inner demon. I had a long time client who had become a pretty good friend who I watched while the drug DMT completely changed who he was - a liberal, atheist, hyper intelligent intellectual into a paranoid conspiracy theorist who had a huge Reddit following. When he slit his own throat it was shocking but at that point not surprising. The third attempt was the charm for him. My sister hasn't shown any suicidal tendencies but her disease has certainly cause a myriad of other issues.

May 14, 2022 at 08:49 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Naomi Judd

Beautiful picture and excellent work Peter.

May 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.