FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2022 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

casey258
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

Morris, I agree, but at times 5.6 would be nice. For me it's focusing speed, and tracking ability. Will it focus fast and what happens when you add a 1.4 to the lens? I guess time will tell, remember, everything right now is a rumor.

Casey

May 22, 2022 at 06:33 AM
CKrueger
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

Bisonbison wrote:
I feel APSC is the Goldilocks zone for cost and pixels per duck.

Agreed. Also for DOF. When I shoot FF cameras, I generally crop to something around APS-C anyway, or simply shoot in APS-C for the “larger” viewfinder view. For wildlife with my Z9, I have a button set to change crop modes, and I only really use the sensor in full frame when I’m too close with a prime.

The difference between APS-C and FF for wildlife is a few thousand dollars and 3lbs+ in gear. For that difference, it’s tough to say you really need the extra megapixels.

May 22, 2022 at 10:27 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

MalcolmBird888 wrote:
Does anyone know if the 150-600 will be closer in price to the 100-400 or 200 f2?

It's priced lower than either of those lenses.

May 31, 2022 at 11:20 PM
9.V.III

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

It's going to be really interesting to see comparisons between the Fuji 150-600 and crops off the Sony 200-600, which is the same price but weighs one pound more.

Jun 01, 2022 at 07:38 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

I've already hit a snag with my pre-ordered lens and camera - the Fuji XF 150-600mm is shorter than my Sony FE 200-600mm, but the X-H2s body is bigger than my A1, so the Fuji camera and lens combo won't fit in my Think Tank Digital Holster 150.

Jun 02, 2022 at 11:15 AM
jbegis

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

I think this would be a good lens for the casual bird/sports photographer. I don't accept the whole "900 mm effective focal length" thing. It has less FOV, but the top focal length is 600 mm. A real 900 mm lens would reproduce details better and have shallower DoF etc.

F/8 is really only an issue if you shoot near day break, or very fast moving subjects. At 600 mm, the DoF is still shallow at F/8 as long as you are close to your subject.

I do feel like it should be cheaper since it is only F/8. It is lightweight, but not impressively so.

Jun 02, 2022 at 12:26 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

I'm not crazy about the f/8 aperture, but compared to the Canon 100-500mm f7.1, the Fuji seems like a real bargain.

It appears to have a "Set" button, so hopefully one can pre-set a focus distance for quick recall, something none of the other lenses in this price range have.

Jun 02, 2022 at 07:18 PM
Bisonbison

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

molson wrote:
I'm not crazy about the f/8 aperture, but compared to the Canon 100-500mm f7.1, the Fuji seems like a real bargain.

It appears to have a "Set" button, so hopefully one can pre-set a focus distance for quick recall, something none of the other lenses in this price range have.

It does appear to have a focus distance recall from this video (around the 5min mark) https://youtu.be/gZNo1bM_9As
I’d like to see what else this combo can do once the full release firmware is out in the wild.
Between the Canon 100-500mm at f7.1 and this Fuji lens at f8, I think the Fuji has the upper hand on both price and the longer focal length. Also the ‘affordable’ body to go with the Canon is an R7, which isn’t stacked and may be usable for fast action only in mechanical shutter mode.
As for a Sony or Nikon comparison, none of their bodies with this sort of capability are even close to the price of the Fuji offering. The A7IV is priced the same but has terrible rolling shutter in electronic shutter mode and doesn’t have nearly the same fps. Nikon may come out with a competing camera and lens at some time… but it’s not even rumored to be coming anytime soon. At this price point, this Fuji kit it looks like a great combo and may well match the performance of the other stacked sensor cameras in all but megapixels and inherent FF to apsc advantage.

Jun 03, 2022 at 04:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

molson wrote:

I'm more or less with you here. I'm betting that at 500mm the Fujifilm gives you something closer to the f/7.1 of the Canon, where it is giving an angle-of-view equivalent of 750mm on the Fujifilm (1.5x crop factor) and 800mm on a Canon 1.6x APS-C camera. (The Canon also is 32.6 MP versus the Fujifilm 26MP, with the additional imponderables that this difference introduces.)

That's really, really close.

And the Fujifilm lens goes to 600mm, producing an angle-of-view equivalent of 900mm (!), which still provides a bit more reach than the Canon.

As a person using Canon FF gear for the other half of his photography, if I were looking for a pure APS-C system optimized fo the smaller format, Fujifilm still offers some other compelling pluses that get my attention — including a full line-up of diverse lens options tailored for the smaller sensor.

(Having said that, a counter-argument would be that if you include all of the designed-for-full-frame Canon lenses that also work on their APS-C cameras, there are even more options. The counter-counter argument says that one probably doesn't need all of those other options except in very rare cases, and that the wide range of available APS-C lenses from Fujiflm is likely to be more than enough...)

Dan

Jun 04, 2022 at 12:29 PM
Sauseschritt
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

JustShootMe wrote:
I don’t think 200 F2 sold well , and it’s a great lens.

Well, its as good (and expensive) as the 200/2 from Nikon and Canon. None of these lenses are actually stellar though, and the Canon or Nikon alternatives are for full frame.

shadow9d9 wrote:
I mean, any weight saved by a nikon lens is more than canceled out by the immense size and weight of the z9, which makes it moot and a nonstarter.

Yeah a beefy body is a real disadvantage if you want to hold a big lens.

That totally makes sense.

molson wrote:
Fuji products continue to be more and more overpriced compared to how they perform versus the competition

Wait, what ? ... no ? Why would you even say that.

molson wrote:
(while at the same time, the build quality seems to be declining)

Not that I'm aware of ? Again, what makes you say that ?

liggy wrote:
Fuji pricing is interesting to me. Imo the gfx line is rather aggressive for what you get. I doubt there will be any serious competition in the “More Than Full Frame” space.

Exactly !

liggy wrote:
The aps-c lineup seems to be priced at a premium vs the rest of the market.

Its also at higher quality than anything else. Far higher quality, actually. Including many more choices. The main reason to for example own a Nikon D500 is certainly not Nikons DX glas.

Jun 05, 2022 at 08:53 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

Sauseschritt wrote:

Experience... from having owned Fuji gear and other brands.

See above

Jun 05, 2022 at 03:31 PM
shadow9d9
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

Sauseschritt wrote:
Well, its as good (and expensive) as the 200/2 from Nikon and Canon. None of these lenses are actually stellar though, and the Canon or Nikon alternatives are for full frame.

Yeah a beefy body is a real disadvantage if you want to hold a big lens.

That totally makes sense.

Exactly !

Its also at higher quality than anything else. Far higher quality, actually. Including many more choices. The main reason to for example own a Nikon D500 is certainly
...Show more

"Yeah a beefy body is a real disadvantage if you want to hold a big lens.

That totally makes sense."

A large, clunky, and heavy body gives absolutely no benefit with larger lenses, especially with modern lens designs. Lenses are no longer front heavy, now more center balanced. A large clunker body just makes it a nightmare to travel with and use with normal lenses. And does nothing for large lenses except add weight, which is never beneficial.

Jun 05, 2022 at 04:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

shadow9d9 wrote:
"Yeah a beefy body is a real disadvantage if you want to hold a big lens.

That totally makes sense."

A large, clunky, and heavy body gives absolutely no benefit with larger lenses, especially with modern lens designs. Lenses are no longer front heavy, now more center balanced. A large clunker body just makes it a nightmare to travel with and use with normal lenses. And does nothing for large lenses except add weight, which is never beneficial.

I agree with you. The "large body better with big lens" thing is one of those platitudes that everyone just accepts to e true. If you can operate a telescope without a big weight attached to the viewing end, you can use a large telephoto with a smaller camera body attached.

With the larger lenses you don't really hold the assembly by the camera anyway. You primarily support the lens and the camera more or less hangs off the back of the thing.

Jun 05, 2022 at 11:04 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

shadow9d9 wrote:

The camera body doesn't need to be "big and clunky", but ideally the grip should be tall enough that you can grasp it with all of your fingers on the grip. The majority of the grip strength of the human hand comes from the third and fourth fingers (as any kinesiologist can confirm) so for supporting heavier loads the camera body needs to have room for those fingers. That allows a person to hold the camera more securely for better stability, and less fatigue if you're holding it for long periods of time.

Jun 06, 2022 at 09:38 AM
shadow9d9
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

molson wrote:
The camera body doesn't need to be "big and clunky", but ideally the grip should be tall enough that you can grasp it with all of your fingers on the grip. The majority of the grip strength of the human hand comes from the third and fourth fingers (as any kinesiologist can confirm) so for supporting heavier loads the camera body needs to have room for those fingers. That allows a person to hold the camera more securely for better stability, and less fatigue if you're holding it for long periods of time.

Your hand that holds the lens is the one carrying nearly all the weight. You hold it at the fulcrum of the lens. The strap will also be attached on the lens. You just hold the camera itself to keep it steady.

Jun 06, 2022 at 12:53 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

shadow9d9 wrote:
Your hand that holds the lens is the one carrying nearly all the weight. You hold it at the fulcrum of the lens. The strap will also be attached on the lens. You just hold the camera itself to keep it steady.

A lot of people don't use straps, and the are a quite a few camera and lens settings that require the use of your other hand...

Jun 06, 2022 at 01:06 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

molson wrote:
A lot of people don't use straps, and the are a quite a few camera and lens settings that require the use of your other hand...

All of which are equally accessible while continuing to support the lens/camera unit primarily by the hand hold ing the lens, which is sort of necessary if you are using th other hand to change those settings...

Jun 06, 2022 at 01:57 PM
shadow9d9
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

molson wrote:

You still hold it at the fulcrum of the lens...Pressing buttons on the camera does not require a camera that is double the weight and size of an A1, for example...

Jun 06, 2022 at 03:43 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Rumored Fuji 150-600 f/5.6-8.0

Yes, I have seen noobies trying to juggle their gear like that - it's pretty funny.

Jun 06, 2022 at 05:09 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.