New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

Planning a family trip in mid June to Calgary, Banff and Jasper and I need some suggestions regarding gear. Since this trip will be with kids I don't want to lug a lot of gear but then again this might be once in a lifetime trip so don't want to miss opportunities. I am planning to take the following

- A7 IV
- 16-35 GM
- Tamron 35-150
- PD Tripod

Now the the question is, should I take any of the following?
- Tamron 28-200 (replace 35-150 with this?)
- Sigma 85/1.4
- Sigma 105/2.8
- Sony 200-600 (Definitely don't want to lug this around unless there is a good chance to see wildlife. I was also considering buying Sigma 100-400 for the trip as it is a lot lighter and smaller.)

@Scott Stoness, any suggestions?

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

Since this is not a photography centric trip, I'd go for convenience which would be the 16-35 and 28-200. I'm not even sure I'd bring a tripod unless you could sneak out early mornings by yourself and take some photos. The typical spots will be overflowed with tourists and just getting a few snaps away will be a challenge.

Many of my favourite locations require hiking which in June might be still snowy / muddy and probably not doable with kids.

Just go, hit all the iconic locations, get some nice images with the kids and don't bring anything that requires lugging around.

Apr 28, 2022 at 05:21 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

We plan on staying in Canmore so I'm hoping to sneak out by myself to catch sunrise at least once.

Any must see spots you recommend.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:57 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

ajamils wrote:
We plan on staying in Canmore so I'm hoping to sneak out by myself to catch sunrise at least once.

Any must see spots you recommend.

If you are in Canmore, the shot of the Three Sisters from Policeman creek is a classic. Depending on how much time you have, a drive down towards Kananaskis to get some sunrise photos would be very worth it.

One thing to note is that sunrise in June in the Rockies comes very early...you'd have to be hitting the road by 4:00 am in order to get it.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:30 AM
karimh

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

There is a very good chance of seeing wildlife between Lake Louise and Jasper. I would actually be shocked if you did not see any wildlife, especially driving from Banff to Jasper (and around Jasper). In fact, most of the grizzly bears I have seen have been along the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93North). I think the 100-400 might be perfect lens. If you're trip starts and ends in Calgary, you might want to consider renting a longer lenses from either TheCameraStore or Vistek rather than lugging it with you on the plane.

There is a wealth of amazing photographic opportunities around Canmore, around Banff along Hwy 93 North, and around Jasper. Even with crowds, there are some spectacular places. Not sure if you're into Milky Way photography, if so Policeman's creek is a great spot for that, as well as the lakes around Banff. Jasper especially is known for its dark skies.

Hope that helps

May 02, 2022 at 11:07 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

karimh wrote:
There is a very good chance of seeing wildlife between Lake Louise and Jasper. I would actually be shocked if you did not see any wildlife, especially driving from Banff to Jasper (and around Jasper). In fact, most of the grizzly bears I have seen have been along the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93North). I think the 100-400 might be perfect lens. If you're trip starts and ends in Calgary, you might want to consider renting a longer lenses from either TheCameraStore or Vistek rather than lugging it with you on the plane.

There is a wealth of amazing photographic opportunities around
...Show more

Thank you for the details. Do you think 100-400 would be enough or will it be short? With wildlife longer is better but if the wildlife there is use to people then I might need a very long lens.

May 03, 2022 at 01:57 PM
rjb6893
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

If you’re into trains in any way, a stop at Morant’s Curve on old Hwy 1 is a must. IMHO, we can all learn something from his pioneering efforts in both rail and landscape photography.

May 04, 2022 at 06:46 AM
karimh

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

ajamils wrote:
Thank you for the details. Do you think 100-400 would be enough or will it be short? With wildlife longer is better but if the wildlife there is use to people then I might need a very long lens.

Given that this is a family trip, I would suggest that the 100-400 is enough. A lot of the times, you will see the wildlife along the highway or across a field (while driving). Depending on the circumstances, you might not be able to stop to take pictures (and in some cases it would be dangerous to get out of the car to take pictures). When we were in Jasper last year, we saw lot of mountain goats, big horn sheep, and elk close to the roads. You might see eagles and other birds of prey if you are lucky (and obviously 100-400 is not going to do the trick for that). There are companies that offer (or did offer?) wildlife viewing tours around Jasper if you really want to see wildlife

May 05, 2022 at 11:19 PM
BlueRidge
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

Have only been there once. It is beautiful. Please know we found the Bow Valley Parkway thru Banff filled with speeders, a bit frustrating for leisurely sightseeing. Jasper is stunning, and less crowded. The wildlife we saw was actually close to or on the road, so a 100-400 is perfect. Lake Louise is a gem.

May 06, 2022 at 01:02 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

ajamils wrote:
Planning a family trip in mid June to Calgary, Banff and Jasper and I need some suggestions regarding gear. Since this trip will be with kids I don't want to lug a lot of gear but then again this might be once in a lifetime trip so don't want to miss opportunities. I am planning to take the following

- A7 IV
- 16-35 GM
- Tamron 35-150
- PD Tripod

Now the the question is, should I take any of the following?
- Tamron 28-200 (replace 35-150 with this?)
- Sigma 85/1.4
- Sigma 105/2.8
- Sony 200-600 (Definitely don't want to lug this around unless there
...Show more

June is superior for wildlife - tell me which one you want and will tell you where/when to go.

Banff is better for landscape (3 sisters near canmore dog park, vermillion, castle mountain under the bridge, Herbert Lake, Morain Lake, peyto lookout, and bow lake and 3 sisters) because east/west. But has bighorn near exshaw, moose in kananaskis near lakes, and grizzly on bow valley trail late).
Jasper is better for animals (moose on maligne road early, bighorn on cliffs 30 minutes east, mountain goats just south of athabasca glacier, gizzly near town at dawn - near river and elk)
Kananaskis - late on highwood is great for grizzlies. Opens jun 15. [Moraine too]
Its a bit early for hiking in banff - trails will be snow up high right through to early July.

I would bring a 200-600 at least. The 16-35 and 200-600 is all you need. Mountains are big and close in. Its a rare day when you have to go longer than 35mm for landscape. And its a rare day when you don't want it longer for wildlife but a fast zoom is great.

The great thing about banff in June is that you can go out - take sunrise at 5:30AM and be back by 9am before the family rises. The bad thing is the same

PM me if you want specific suggestions.

May 16, 2022 at 02:08 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

I flew to Calgary and rented a fully furnished RV there for two weeks. Made a stop at the President's Club store which is like a super Costco to stock up. We could stop almost anywhere and no time spent in restaurant lines or checking in and out of hotels.

Lens selection depends on what you plan to photograph so work backwards from there.

May 16, 2022 at 05:47 PM
Toof_digger

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

I am going in Jan to Calgary and then venture from there. Any advice or modification to the above advice??

Thank you!

Oct 05, 2022 at 12:42 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

I only have a 100-400 and a 1.4x TC. I found the 100-400 to be sufficient for Banff/Icefields Parkway/Jasper. I didn't even make much use of my 1.4x TC. Having said that, if you have a 200-600, go with that rather than renting a 100-400.

There is a road out of town in Jasper that rises rapidly and is good for wildlife, especially Elk. I qualify this by saying I have never done it in June so i don't know if it would be the same or not. I believe it is called Pyramid Lake Rd.

Scott mentioned Vermillion Lakes Rd. This is a neat little place close to Banff. It is like three ecosystems in a short distance. First is the forested area (I have seen black bear there, plus small mammals and birds), then the lake (nice for landscapes with the mountains) and then an area that is somewhat marsh-like (water fowl). I also saw a wolf along the road but it was only a fleeting glimpse (great butt shot though, ).

You may want to stop in Lake Louise, as it has potential to be interesting for both you and the family. You don't mention how old the kids are so this may or may not apply. The lake is beautiful and you can rent canoes there. If the kids are a little older and you two are reasonably fit, there is a trail that continues beyond the lakeside trail to the Lake Agnes Tea House, where you can get refreshments, great sandwiches and cakes before hiking back. I did did it with one of my daughters and we really enjoyed it. We didn't see any wildlife to speak of so you won't need your big lens but there is lots of great scenery.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:18 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

I was in the area about two weeks ago. I couldn't even get near Moraine or Louise but found Emerald lake to be accessible. I also visited Lake O'Hara which had mountain goats on the various ledges surrounding the lake.

I also recommend Vermillion Lakes. Great scenery and the farther you go down the road, the crowds diminish and the scenery improves.

Oct 11, 2022 at 12:10 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

The whole area looks entirely diffent in the winter and is, IMO, far more attractive photographically. The mountains in the summer tend to be an unphotogenic grey on green, overflowing with tourists. The situation improves photographically in the fall, but the crowds don't get any better. You can get away if you are willing to do somewhat demanding hikes with overnight camping in bear country.

January is on the other hand magical. Almost no crowds outside the weekends. The sun never rises too far so you have almost a day long golden hour. The fogs and snowstorms drape the mountains and make for magical long lens images. The lakes freeze, some of them get swept free of snow and getting on the ice and shooting back towards the mountains is a view you can never get at any other time of year. Particularly in high wind situations when the snow blows across the ice it can be really good. And when the temps drop below -20C the rivers start to steam.

Darwin Wiggetts winter book, if you can find it, is a decent starting point for a first visit. But there is so much more. Bring snowshoes and take short (1-2 mile) trips up stream beds that don't freeze and you are going to end up with lots of interesting shots. Or you can just start with repeating well established shots that you can find by searching here and the various photo sites. If you bring rubber boots that allow you to stand in the water you can get somewhat unique shots even at the iconic locations. Marks sells a great pair for 50CAD.

Search Scott Stoness' posting history. He is local to the area. Viktoria Haack has very nice work in the area. Some of the quintessential and often copied winter image of the area are done by Darwin Wiggett and Marc Adamus.

The main roads are beautifully maintained and never stay closed more than a day or two even after heavy snowfall. If possible it is best to time your visit a few days after a fresh snowfall. In the first few days you can shoot scenes around rivers and streams that require snow covered trees, and within a week after snowfall Abraham, Spray, Barrier lakes get partially swept clear.

Toof_digger wrote:
I am going in Jan to Calgary and then venture from there. Any advice or modification to the above advice??

Thank you!

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:39 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

Thank you everyone that provided suggestions. Unfortunately, we were not able to go last year due to some family issues but all booked and ready to go this year in first week of July.

Since last time, my kit has changed to OM-1 and lenses but I'm debating if I will be missing out anything by not having FF (for better DR). Most likely, I will be taking OM-1, 8-24 F4, 12-100, 100-400 and 17/1.8.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:18 PM
BPsmith511
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

ajamils wrote:
Thank you everyone that provided suggestions. Unfortunately, we were not able to go last year due to some family issues but all booked and ready to go this year in first week of July.

Since last time, my kit has changed to OM-1 and lenses but I'm debating if I will be missing out anything by not having FF (for better DR). Most likely, I will be taking OM-1, 8-24 F4, 12-100, 100-400 and 17/1.8.

I have photographed in the area with all 3 "main" sensor sizes - M4/3, APS-C (Fuji) and FF (Nikon & Sony). I think unless you are hoping to do critical work to sell (doesn't seem like it), any sensor is fine and the lenses are more important. With those you will be well covered - most likely getting the 8-24 and 12-200 for the most use. I am a fan of isolating using telephotos in mountains such as Banff, so I like you're bringing the 100-400.. I would not be worried at all, enjoy the trip. As Scott said you should have good wildlife opportunities.

Mar 01, 2023 at 11:41 AM
graystonephoto
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Calgary/Banff/Jasper Trip advise

Take the widest and longest lens you have....trust me, you will wish you had.

Apr 14, 2023 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.