1       2       3              61      
       63       end

Canon R7

Mike_5D
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.62 #1 · p.62 #1 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
The next Canon release will be another APS-C body?

https://www.canonrumors.com/the-next-full-frame-rf-mount-camera-will-be-a-replacement-for-the-canon-eos-r/

I wonder if that's the R100 or another one we don't know about.

I'm also curious to see what an updated R would fit into the lineup compared to the R6.

Aug 12, 2022 at 01:58 PM
Hairy Heron

p.62 #2 · p.62 #2 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
Just got off the phone to B&H. They told me they are "expecting a large shipmentĒ next week - enough for them to fulfill all the back-orders! I wouldn't hold my breath for this, but I am hopeful that even if they didn't get a large enough shipment, those who ordered on the first day should be getting their copy.

I think there could be validity there. I ordered my R7 on Amazon (shipped and sold by) on 8/1 for "estimated arrival by 9/1" and noticed it remained available all day, into the evening before it sold out. The next day I received an email say delivery was moved up to "by 8/19." Curious I looked on Amazon again and saw they had another batch for sale with arrival "by 8/24," just a few days after mine. Then on Wednesday my R7 shipped w/ a confirmed delivery of 8/17, but I have a hunch it will come sooner as UPS frequently overestimates delivery dates by a day.

My R7 shipped from S.Cal., which is unusual for me since I'm on the east coast, so it must have just gotten off the boat. BH doesn't have fulfillment facilities in CA like Amazon so their shipment probably was trucked to NY, which would arrive next week. So, coming off what seemed to be a big drop of R7 kits last week, it looks like the R7 body-only bottleneck is about to be significantly loosened.

Aug 12, 2022 at 03:01 PM
gossamer88

p.62 #3 · p.62 #3 · Canon R7

Mike_5D wrote:
I wonder if that's the R100 or another one we don't know about.

I'm also curious to see what an updated R would fit into the lineup compared to the R6.

They're definitely want to compete with...

https://youtu.be/OQ9B-9vUCME

Aug 14, 2022 at 07:02 PM
gavin_emmons
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.62 #4 · p.62 #4 · Canon R7

I gave up on my May 24 backorder with B&H, found a smaller store, and had the R7 delivered via FedEx Express in 2 days. Will be interested to see how it plays with my 100-500mm and 400mm DO II lenses.

Aug 14, 2022 at 07:28 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.62 #5 · p.62 #5 · Canon R7

The kit version is now in stock at B&H ... but not the body only.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:35 AM
mbrown

p.62 #6 · p.62 #6 · Canon R7

Just received an email from B&H saying it would be 6-8 more weeks before they could fill my body-only backorder. Wanted to know if I would take kit instead. FWIW I ordered at 9:45am on May 24.

Aug 15, 2022 at 11:48 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.62 #7 · p.62 #7 · Canon R7

mbrown wrote:
Just received an email from B&H saying it would be 6-8 more weeks before they could fill my body-only backorder. Wanted to know if I would take kit instead. FWIW I ordered at 9:45am on May 24.

I ordered later in the day on May 24, but since cancelled my order when a kit came available at another retailer (Pixel Connection in Avon Lake, Ohio) about 3 weeks ago. Bought the kit, even though I didn't necessarily need the lens. Turns out that it was a good move.

Aug 15, 2022 at 01:09 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.62 #8 · p.62 #8 · Canon R7

In another thread I posted:
Jeff Nolten wrote:
One of the issues I'm having with the R7 is that with the RF 100-500 the focus speed is so fast it just blows by an isolated subject like a hawk in the sky and it is very difficult to get it to latch on. This happens in other scenarios as well especially with close focus. I used my EF 100-400 on my 90D and the the focus speed, being a bit slower, seems to catch the subject better.

So I've been experimenting with this and discovered that if I use one of the flexible focus areas or whole focus area the R7 locks on better. I'd been using the focus point with surround as this was most similar to central cluster of focus points on my XXDs and don't believe I've ever used a large focus area with my DSLRs.

So let me ask what type of focus area or points do you folks use to catch birds in flight? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Aug 16, 2022 at 02:45 PM
armd
• • • •
p.62 #9 · p.62 #9 · Canon R7

Jeff Nolten wrote:

So I've been experimenting with this and discovered that if I use one of the flexible focus areas or whole focus area the R7 locks on better. I'd been using the focus point with surround as this was most similar to central cluster of focus points on my XXDs and don't believe I've ever used a large focus area with my DSLRs.

So let me ask what type of focus area or points do you folks use to catch birds in flight? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Hi Jeff, look at my saga on another thread where initial results for BIF were in the 50-75% range and are now in the high 80ís rivaling the R3/R5. What Iíve found (and Ron Bielefeld has validated) is that the R7 performs better for BIF when AED is turned off. There are a variety of ways to accomplish this and currently I have the rear af point button set to toggle it on/off. How you configure your camera is up to you and your style of shooting.

I have my shutter button mapped to exposure/af with the following default settings: Servo, AED on, tracking on, type animals, Case auto. The af-on is mapped to the large center zone, and the * is assigned spot focus. When Iím shooting BIF, I simply toggle AED off and go. The tracking seems better and I achieve more in focus images.

Edited on Aug 16, 2022 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2022 at 03:30 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.62 #10 · p.62 #10 · Canon R7

armd wrote:
Hi Jeff, look at my saga on another thread where initial results for BIF were in the 50-75% range and are now in the high 80ís rivaling the R3/R5. What Iíve found (and Ron Bielefeld has validated) is that the R7 performs better for BIF when AED is turned off. There are a variety of ways to accomplish this and currently I have the rear af point button set to toggle it on/off. How you configure your camera is up to you tans your style of shooting.

I have my shutter button mapped to exposure/af with the following default settings: Servo,
...Show more

Is AED eye detect? I made a similar discovery with the R6 and EF lenses (no RF glass to test with at the time). With eye EF enabled, it struggled to keep up with my 7 year old running towards me. Disabling eye detect or using one of the more traditional non-tracking AF methods yielded better results. One of the firmware updates greatly improved the situation so you may want to recheck after firmware updates start coming out for the R7.

Aug 16, 2022 at 03:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.62 #11 · p.62 #11 · Canon R7

I have AF-ON set to toggle eye tracking. So far I haven't seen this affect much, but I'll quickly add that I haven't had a flying bird in focus long enough to take a series at high FPS. So far that is down the road, what I'm asking about is initial focus lock. Thanks for the info.

Aug 16, 2022 at 06:42 PM
duncang
• •
p.62 #12 · p.62 #12 · Canon R7

Jeff Nolten wrote:

Yes Whole Area with animal detect and eye detect on.

I do use single point, or one of the smaller zones depending on the conditions, but if I miss getting the smaller focus point/box on the bird I run the risk of completely missing focus if the camera decides to hunt near or far for a subject because there wasn't one in the box - and it is pretty quick to start doing this.

Whole area I find is a bit more reliable as it does not depend on me getting a smaller focus area on the subject and will 'look' across the frame before it starts shifting focus point near or far looking for a subject.

Bear in mind that no matter what the situation there is always the possibility this will happen and the camera will either jump to closest focus or lock on the background.

This hunting just goes with the territory and is not unique to the R7 - usually it is going to be a bit worse on a camera if the subject detection is a little slow and the focus will start hunting if the camera has not detected a subject.

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:37 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.62 #13 · p.62 #13 · Canon R7

Finally had a chance to hold the camera yesterday at Samy's Photo. It didn't feel good/right in my hands. This is the straw that broke the camel's back and caused me to finally cancel my pre-order with B&H. I think it will be a huge mistake to replace my reliable R5 with the crippled R7. I will just wait until Canon release a pro or semi-pro version of the APS-C.

Aug 20, 2022 at 09:38 AM
armd
• • • •
p.62 #14 · p.62 #14 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
Finally had a chance to hold the camera yesterday at Samy's Photo. It didn't feel good/right in my hands. This is the straw that broke the camel's back and caused me to finally cancel my pre-order with B&H. I think it will be a huge mistake to replace my reliable R5 with the crippled R7. I will just wait until Canon release a pro or semi-pro version of the APS-C.

That's unfortunate. The R7 isn't a replacement rather it's an adjunct to the R5. My utilization depends largely on the application. Say for example, I'm planning a defined outing to Conowingo or another location then the R5 has a long prime (500/600 +tc) on the tripod and the R7 is on my shoulder with the 100-500 for unexpected or close action. Alternatively, if I am going out for a hike/walk, the R7 is on a sling strap (others might prefer a carrier) with the 100-500 attached and weighing in at 4.1lbs. Another scenario where I find the R7 outstanding is traveling when conditions don't facilitate taking all of my gear or longer lenses. Then, it's the R7 with the 100-500 and a smaller, compact, fast prime.

Yes, the R7 has limitations though the ergonomics are fine, the battery life is great, and I really don't have any issues bouncing back and forth between the R7 and R5. It is unfortunate that the R7 isn't the mini-me-R5 though it is what it is and I have developed profound respect and admiration for its utility.

Perhaps with time, Canon will release a camera with the capabilities you are looking for, though quite candidly I don't think that will come anytime soon or at a price point similar to the R7. The purported R1 may be a hopeful solution though it hasn't been announced, isn't available, and would likely have a price tag several multiples of the R7. A more interesting scenario to posit would be a release of an upgraded, MILC Nikon D-500 say at 35-40 MP, BIS, and with a price tag competitive to the R7 (say $2k). Paired to the 500 PF or new 800 PF it would be amazing!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:12 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.62 #15 · p.62 #15 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
It didn't feel good/right in my hands.

A perfectly acceptable personal preference. I tried an RP as a companion to my M6II (Same battery) to use my 24-70 f4 L while traveling. That lens was so front heavy that I sent the RP back without firing a shot. Sticking with my 6D2 for that purpose.

B&H shipped the R7 kit to me the day it was released and for me the R7 is a much better compromise. With the RF 100-400 it is lighter than either the 90D or the M6II (with EVF and adapter) using the 70-300 IS II. The 70-300 was the largest lens the M6II could handle ergonomically, IMHO, and I ended up using it more frequently with the 55-250. The R7 handles the 100-500 well and is lighter in weight than the 90D with 100-400 II. Both excellent combinations. So the size and grip work perfectly for me and the lenses I use, including adapted EF-S lenses and the EF 24-70 f4. I'll add here that the 18-150 kit lens is better than expected.

I'm really liking the control layout and configurability. This is my first R so there is a lot of customization to learn. The repositioned joy stick with surrounding dial works great. My thumb and forefinger can find all the buttons and controls without removing my eye from the viewfinder. Instant 4K 60p video! I've reprogrammed two of the back buttons to toggle important functions depending on mode and appreciate the three custom modes. One for action with mechanical shutter, one for action with electronic shutter, and one for my wife's use at dog shows. My wife wouldn't use the M6II because of its dials and buttons but the R7 is similar enough to the 77D to become her new travel camera.

I'm having no difficulty switching between my DSLRs and the R7. My 5D4 or 6D2 remain my main general travel cameras and work perfectly well for that. The R7 is the perfect accessory camera for my wife's travel, my day hikes, or high speed action, macro, or focus stacking. So far it is a great addition to my kit.

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:57 AM
roboticspro
• • • •
p.62 #16 · p.62 #16 · Canon R7

Hi,

A question for those of you that actually have the R7 (mine still backordered). Can the electronic and mechanical shutters be user-programmed to shoot at less than 30/15 FPS? I downloaded the Canon R7 Advanced User Guide and for the life of me I could not find a custom section for that...blame old age I guess...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Regards,

Edd

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:59 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.62 #17 · p.62 #17 · Canon R7

I understand that. One cannot expect a $1,500 camera to be as good as the R5. My problem is I canít afford the luxury of owning 2 cameras at the same time. So itís either the R5 or the R7. I have said before that I am willing to pay upwards of $2,500 for an APS-C camera with most of the specs and performance of the R5 or OM-1. The OM-1 has a stacked BSI sensor with cross quad pixel AF, a good buffer, black-out-free, etc. I have half a mind to dump Canon and return to Olympus as size and weight matters to me as much as performance.

armd wrote:
That's unfortunate. The R7 isn't a replacement rather it's an adjunct to the R5. My utilization depends largely on the application. Say for example, I'm planning a defined outing to Conowingo or another location then the R5 has a long prime (500/600 +tc) on the tripod and the R7 is on my shoulder with the 100-500 for unexpected or close action. Alternatively, if I am going out for a hike/walk, the R7 is on a sling strap (others might prefer a carrier) with the 100-500 attached and weighing in at 4.1lbs. Another scenario where I find the R7 outstanding is
...Show more

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:16 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.62 #18 · p.62 #18 · Canon R7

roboticspro wrote:
Can the electronic and mechanical shutters be user-programmed to shoot at less than 30/15 FPS?

Yes, mechanical, full or first curtain, can be set to 3, 7.5, and 15. Electronic can be set to 3, 15, 30. Approximately. And either can be used in one shot. I use the M-Fn button to switch between frame rates. The choice between electronic and mechanical is buried deeper in the menus so I have C1 set to 15 FPS first curtain shutter and C2 set to 15 FPS electronic. I discovered one can program a button to take you to the Burst Mode menu which is 30 FPS with or without 1/2 second pre-capture. Lots of choices pretty quickly at hand.

Edited on Aug 20, 2022 at 11:32 AM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:17 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.62 #19 · p.62 #19 · Canon R7

You do have the option to pick a lower frame rate in the ES mode. One other really nice feature that I like about the ES mode is the volume-adjustable fake shutter noise.

roboticspro wrote:
Hi,

A question for those of you that actually have the R7 (mine still backordered). Can the electronic and mechanical shutters be user-programmed to shoot at less than 30/15 FPS? I downloaded the Canon R7 Advanced User Guide and for the life of me I could not find a custom section for that...blame old age I guess...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Regards,

Edd

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:21 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.62 #20 · p.62 #20 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:

So you find it substantially worse than the R5 (which many of us find is already somewhat cramped and uncomfortable)?

EBH

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:23 AM
       63       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

63       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password