FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              50      
       52              62       63       end

Canon R7

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.51 #1 · p.51 #1 · Canon R7

In the "Trash or Treasure" video he mentions shutter shock in electronic first curtain shutter. My understanding is that in EFC the mechanical shutter ends the exposure so that its vibrations can't effect the image. Is this correct? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:29 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.51 #2 · p.51 #2 · Canon R7

Jeff Nolten wrote:
In the "Trash or Treasure" video he mentions shutter shock in electronic first curtain shutter. My understanding is that in EFC the mechanical shutter ends the exposure so that its vibrations can't effect the image. Is this correct? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

That's true for the first shot but what about the second, third, and fourth in a 15 fps burst?

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.51 #3 · p.51 #3 · Canon R7

Good, honest review. Where can I find the setup guide that Jan was talking about?

mdees88 wrote:
Pretty good review here in my opinion. He is apparently having the same AF issue I was at 10:47 and I have been noticing that quite a few of my slower shutter speed images are not "tack sharp" either (especially silhouettes and handheld macro). He mentions shutter shock at 7:49 and that may be my issue since I have only been using the mechanical shutter due to the rolling shutter effect on the ES. I'm going to try the ES again in the morning and do a direct comparison between it and the mechanical.

I'm on night 31 in a
...Show more

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:58 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.51 #4 · p.51 #4 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
Good, honest review. Where can I find the setup guide that Jan was talking about?

It's not free. $10 usd.
http://thebirdphotographyshow.com/

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:33 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.51 #5 · p.51 #5 · Canon R7

Thanks!

JaimitoFrog wrote:
It's not free. $10 usd.
http://thebirdphotographyshow.com/

Jul 18, 2022 at 04:49 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.51 #6 · p.51 #6 · Canon R7

Jeff Nolten wrote:
My understanding is that in EFC the mechanical shutter ends the exposure so that its vibrations can't effect the image.

Mike_5D wrote:
That's true for the first shot but what about the second, third, and fourth in a 15 fps burst?

Well, I think he was talking about one shot in lower light. But, in general I find it hard to believe that shutter shock is really an issue in a mirrorless camera. Most of us are coming from DSLRs which had slapping mirrors in addition to a full mechanical shutter.

There was some discussion of SS in full mechanical, one shot in the M6II that was attributable to lesser IS mechanisms in EF-M lenses. It never seemed much of an issue. The M6II lacked electronic first curtain shutter.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:00 AM
armd
• • • •
p.51 #7 · p.51 #7 · Canon R7

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Well, I think he was talking about one shot in lower light. But, in general I find it hard to believe that shutter shock is really an issue in a mirrorless camera. Most of us are coming from DSLRs which had slapping mirrors in addition to a full mechanical shutter.

There was some discussion of SS in full mechanical, one shot in the M6II that was attributable to lesser IS mechanisms in EF-M lenses. It never seemed much of an issue. The M6II lacked electronic first curtain shutter.

I have a few issues with Jan's video though it's not important to air them here. Shutter shock is a real issue period and it was exemplified in all cameras with mechanical shutters. MILC's are no exception and shutter shock becomes prevalent in MS at variable speeds (usually less than 1/200th a second or so) depending on the oscillations and natural resonant frequencies of the system. EFCS can help reduce that though it comes with its own problems...

https://photographylife.com/shutter-shock

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:22 AM
gkinard1952
• •
p.51 #8 · p.51 #8 · Canon R7

One of the reasons you wait for the honest reviews. Shutter shock is a huge problem in the jungle. Actually the 7DII is pretty good IMO. I have heard the shutter of the R7 and it sounds like it is a problem child.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:47 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.51 #9 · p.51 #9 · Canon R7

Thanks for the info and article. On both my 90D and R7 I mostly use EFCS. When shooting action, i.e. continuous, I try to stay faster than 1/200. I've never noticed lack of critical focus on my DSLRs when I did my job right. Last night I took a couple of portraits of my dog using the R7 + EF-S 60 macro using EFCS and full electronic; hand held and relatively low shutter speeds. Both shots were sharp but the EFCS looked better to my eyes. Gotta love IBIS, the 60 is not an IS lens.

I think it also has to do with the very light weight STM lenses available now. Its harder to shake a relatively heavy L lens or a heavy body like the 7D II. I agree its complicated to pin down all the factors.

Jul 18, 2022 at 01:06 PM
cpe1991
• • •
p.51 #10 · p.51 #10 · Canon R7

It was a very fair review, though he could have mentioned the excellent battery life, unless I missed it. And the lesson is like with all our kit, just work towards its strengths and avoid its weaknesses. I use ES for static shots and for action where rolling shutter is not a problem. Where it is, I use MS or ECF. Comparing with my old 90D images, I can confirm that the noise is even better. I'll be using my R5 with the RF 100-500 and my wife the R7 and RF 100-400 on our nature trips and she can manage that lightweight combination and get similar image quality in reasonable light.

Jul 18, 2022 at 01:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Uarctos
• •
p.51 #11 · p.51 #11 · Canon R7

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I think it also has to do with the very light weight STM lenses available now. Its harder to shake a relatively heavy L lens or a heavy body like the 7D II. I agree its complicated to pin down all the factors.

600mm f4 IS III had huge shutter shock issues with the 5D4, it made the images unusable. Other lenses didn't.

Jul 18, 2022 at 01:13 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.51 #12 · p.51 #12 · Canon R7

Hmm, I only have the 100-400 II (and 24-105) for my 5D4 and never noticed an issue. Ok, I concede, complicated issue.

I have the RF 100-400 coming Wednesday. I'll have to test for this as well as IQ.

Jul 18, 2022 at 01:19 PM
johndguthrie

p.51 #13 · p.51 #13 · Canon R7

i had shutter shock issues with my r5 and 600/4 iii using mechanical shutter at around 1/100s. Have since switched to electronic shutter almost exclusively.

Jul 18, 2022 at 03:16 PM
armd
• • • •
p.51 #14 · p.51 #14 · Canon R7

Interesting review by Fabian on youtube

Jump to the 8 minute mark where he compares acutance between the R7 and R5. Now, this was not a controlled test, and the subject presented was rather monochromatic and not necessarily representative, however it is a bit surprising. I was hoping for better performance from the R7.

Jul 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM
mdees88
• •
p.51 #15 · p.51 #15 · Canon R7

armd wrote:
Interesting review by Fabian on youtube

Jump to the 8 minute mark where he compares acutance between the R7 and R5. Now, this was not a controlled test, and the subject presented was rather monochromatic and not necessarily representative, however it is a bit surprising. I was hoping for better performance from the R7.

Great tests and thorough review. Definitely worth watching the whole thing. The results of the R5 + teleconverter vs R7 w/out test surprised me.

Jul 19, 2022 at 04:11 PM
armd
• • • •
p.51 #16 · p.51 #16 · Canon R7

mdees88 wrote:
Great tests and thorough review. Definitely worth watching the whole thing. The results of the R5 + teleconverter vs R7 w/out test surprised me.

Right? All of the limitations have been previously described and while they arenít favorable, the challenges could be mitigated by the increased resolution. His tests with a solid lens 600 f/4 were disappointing for the R7 and are making me reconsider.

Jul 19, 2022 at 05:51 PM
gkinard1952
• •
p.51 #17 · p.51 #17 · Canon R7

Just got my hands on one at MBK in Bankok, Thailand. I really like it and it is about 150 cheaper here. But, they did not have the camera only. Said two weeks for the body... Also the mechinal shutter did not sound to bad. I may have over reacted to the videos I have watched..

Jul 20, 2022 at 03:18 AM
mdees88
• •
p.51 #18 · p.51 #18 · Canon R7

gkinard1952 wrote:
Also the mechinal shutter did not sound to bad.

Luckily, you've never shot an R5.... it sounds like a machine gun compared to it. This is an accurate noise comparison between the two....

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxTpMfcOEpPNS8yHfd6nvw4wqQJdc9e6t8

Jul 20, 2022 at 06:50 AM
mdees88
• •
p.51 #19 · p.51 #19 · Canon R7

gkinard1952 wrote:
Also the mechinal shutter did not sound to bad. I may have over reacted to the videos I have watched..

So I just tested the R7 next to my Rebel T6i that I haven't shot in years and there's not much difference in shutter noise. The R7 may actually be a tad quiter to be honest.

I guess the R5 has spoiled me in many ways (buffer, shutter noise, button layout, etc) and kind of ruined my whole R7 experience.... lol.

Jul 20, 2022 at 07:32 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.51 #20 · p.51 #20 · Canon R7

And I thought the R5 shutter is a bit loud! Looks like I will just have live with and alternate between ES and EFC. I cannot stand a noisy shutter. Itís embarrassing - like shooting with an old film camera.

mdees88 wrote:
Luckily, you've never shot an R5.... it sounds like a machine gun compared to it. This is an accurate noise comparison between the two....

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxTpMfcOEpPNS8yHfd6nvw4wqQJdc9e6t8

Jul 20, 2022 at 07:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password