FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              49      
       51              61       62       end

Canon R7

jpeter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.50 #1 · p.50 #1 · Canon R7

Thx duncang, i don't own one yet, but not having the back button options would be a deal breaker. Interesting how different the customize menus are from r5. Jp

Jul 06, 2022 at 06:48 PM
duncang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.50 #2 · p.50 #2 · Canon R7

jpeter wrote:
Thx duncang, i don't own one yet, but not having the back button options would be a deal breaker. Interesting how different the customize menus are from r5. Jp

I don't have an R5 so no idea what the options are. R7 customisation options are great - not much you can't configure.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:18 PM
jpeter
• • •
p.50 #3 · p.50 #3 · Canon R7

The menus that you shared look like a very direct way to get af details assigned to each button. For the r5, each custom button can pick from about 100 different functions, but no direct way to assign multiple combinations on each button.
I will eventually buy a r7. First step is new computer so i can use the raws. Jp

duncang wrote:
I don't have an R5 so no idea what the options are. R7 customisation options are great - not much you can't configure.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:34 PM
vbnut
• •
p.50 #4 · p.50 #4 · Canon R7

jpeter wrote:
The menus that you shared look like a very direct way to get af details assigned to each button. For the r5, each custom button can pick from about 100 different functions, but no direct way to assign multiple combinations on each button.
I will eventually buy a r7. First step is new computer so i can use the raws. Jp

I don't have an R5, but the Customize Buttons section (page 827 in the English manual) says "You can configure advanced settings for functions labeled with [INFO] in the lower left of the screen by pressing the <INFO> button." just like the R3 and R7 manuals, so I assume you can do this with the R5.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:42 PM
Bill60

p.50 #5 · p.50 #5 · Canon R7

Well on the R6, you can do something similar (page 780 in the Advanced Guide), but not as comprehensive as on the R7 - So i assume that there are similar options on the R5.

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.50 #6 · p.50 #6 · Canon R7

duncang wrote:
Yes you can customise each button - see screens below.

BTW - I can't seem to program 3 buttons with AF + custom settings. There does not seem to be a 3rd button one can use that allows customisation of the settings.

R7 BBF Menu Settings

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/images/R7-AFON-Setting.png

* Back Button

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/images/R7-*-Setting.png

Optional * Back Button - with No Tracking

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/images/R7-BBF-No-Tracking.png">

Thanks for that confirmation.
Yeah as long as you can untick the subject tracking then it would certainly work.

On the R5 you could only do the Metering and AF Start: Detail Set for two buttons. Didn't work for the 3rd. For the 3rd I used some other custom button option to get a 3rd AF mode onto a back button. I think it was the "Switch to Registered AF function" or the "Register/Recall Shooting function" one.

Of course I used shutter AF so actually had 4 AF modes (shutter and 3 back buttons) with different AF modes on them.

EDIT: Just had a look through the R7 Advanced guide and it doesn't seem like you can assign any of those options that get you a different AF mode onto the 3rd back button (the af selection one). Pretty sure I could on the R5.

Jul 07, 2022 at 01:06 PM
mdees88
• •
p.50 #7 · p.50 #7 · Canon R7

I was having an issue getting my buttons setup but I just figured out how to make them work. You can only register ONE AF function on the R7. I kept setting one back button to "registered AF function" spot AF without tracking and one to "registered AF function" felixable zone 1 without tracking but they would both end up with the same settings.

I have since set my normal back button to "AF metering and start" spot AF without tracking. I have the * button set to "registered AF function" flexible zone 1 eye tracking off. I have my shutter release set to spot AF with eye tracking and this setup gives me three individual AF modes on my R7.

Jul 07, 2022 at 01:26 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.50 #8 · p.50 #8 · Canon R7

I had set the point selection button, below the * button, to start/stop tracking. This caused that button's magnify function in image review to be disabled. Unfortunate interaction. So, be careful of unintended consequences when altering button functions.

Jul 07, 2022 at 02:24 PM
cpe1991
• • •
p.50 #9 · p.50 #9 · Canon R7

I have been comparing the R7 with the RF 100-400mm and RF 100-500mm with the R5 and the R6. The IQ of the R7 is excellent, with the 100-400mm @ 400mm giving as good resolution as the RF 100-500mm @500mm on the R5. The battery life has been really good. AF on perched birds and much of BIF is excellent. However, I have found AF much more difficult to acquire for dragonflies in flight. It won't quickly lock on if at all on a hovering large Emperor dragonfly. @Imagemaster posted a great shot of one with the RF2x on the RF 100-500mm, and I did get some very good shots today, but it wasn't with the confident AF of the R5. Have others found AF to lock on more slowly than with the R5 or R6 for fast erratic BIF?

Jul 09, 2022 at 11:30 AM
cpe1991
• • •
p.50 #10 · p.50 #10 · Canon R7

duncang wrote:
Yes you can customise each button - see screens below.

BTW - I can't seem to program 3 buttons with AF + custom settings. There does not seem to be a 3rd button one can use that allows customisation of the settings.

R7 BBF Menu Settings

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/images/R7-AFON-Setting.png

* Back Button

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/images/R7-*-Setting.png

Optional * Back Button - with No Tracking

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/images/R7-BBF-No-Tracking.png">

You are absolutely right. It's important as you have illustrated to have the check boxes on the left of the screens activated. The R5 doesn't have those boxes, but with the R7 you have to check them or the settings aren't active.

Jul 09, 2022 at 03:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fabian_fopp

p.50 #11 · p.50 #11 · Canon R7

Hi,

I was testing the Canon EOS R7 for about a week shooting birds, mammals, insects and more. This is of course not a long-term test, but I think I got a lot of impressions of the camera and therefore made a review about the R7 on my YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/W2UGMYzrgLM

I hope this kind of post is welcome here. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the camera and will try my best to answer them 😊

Cheers,
Fabian

Jul 12, 2022 at 07:14 AM
tiggy
• •
p.50 #12 · p.50 #12 · Canon R7

fabian_fopp wrote:
Hi,

I was testing the Canon EOS R7 for about a week shooting birds, mammals, insects and more. This is of course not a long-term test, but I think I got a lot of impressions of the camera and therefore made a review about the R7 on my YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/W2UGMYzrgLM

I hope this kind of post is welcome here. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the camera and will try my best to answer them 😊

Cheers,
Fabian

Fabian, great stuff!! More please. -tig

Jul 12, 2022 at 09:02 AM
duncang
• •
p.50 #13 · p.50 #13 · Canon R7

Here are some EVF recordings showing the R7 subject detection compared to the Sony a6400 and Sony a1 with gannets diving over the ocean.

Apologies in advance for the shaky footage - these are taken handholding with Atomos recorder. You should experience and overall improvement under normal use.

You should see that is outperforms the a6400 by a considerable margin.

Jul 14, 2022 at 03:46 PM
armd
• • • •
p.50 #14 · p.50 #14 · Canon R7

Thanks for posting the video. It would have helped knowing your specific settings so one could compare them across the R platforms. If I missed that, please accept my apologies. Under the conditions and subjects presented, my impressions of the R7 were pretty remarkable and the only cameras which would perform better would have eye or ai magical tracking.

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:59 AM
johnip
• • •
p.50 #15 · p.50 #15 · Canon R7

Anyone been able to get ahold of a body only? Have one pre-ordered from Adorama since May 24th but no news from them other than a couple "we're sorry, your item is still backordered."

Jul 16, 2022 at 12:52 PM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.50 #16 · p.50 #16 · Canon R7

johnip wrote:
Anyone been able to get ahold of a body only? Have one pre-ordered from Adorama since May 24th but no news from them other than a couple "we're sorry, your item is still backordered."

Just texted the owner of my go to [shop Berger Bros in NY they are beyond awesome he has a kit in stock now and said he will have bodies in about a week

Jul 16, 2022 at 03:59 PM
Photog Guy
• •
p.50 #17 · p.50 #17 · Canon R7

I went ahead and picked up a kit. It is always handy to have a lens to pair with the camera when it comes time to sell
Phil

Jul 16, 2022 at 04:32 PM
armd
• • • •
p.50 #18 · p.50 #18 · Canon R7

johnip wrote:

I'm told that more kits and bodies will ship next week - how many and in what proportions, the dealers don't really know.

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:29 PM
mdees88
• •
p.50 #19 · p.50 #19 · Canon R7

Pretty good review here in my opinion. He is apparently having the same AF issue I was at 10:47 and I have been noticing that quite a few of my slower shutter speed images are not "tack sharp" either (especially silhouettes and handheld macro). He mentions shutter shock at 7:49 and that may be my issue since I have only been using the mechanical shutter due to the rolling shutter effect on the ES. I'm going to try the ES again in the morning and do a direct comparison between it and the mechanical.

I'm on night 31 in a row and I haven't had a single day off to shoot with my R7 yet. I just shoot about 45mins each morning on the way home from work, so take my opinion for what it's worth. So far I do like the R7 for the extra reach but I am definitely not replacing my R5 with it like I originally intended.

Edited on Jul 17, 2022 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2022 at 05:50 PM
mdees88
• •
p.50 #20 · p.50 #20 · Canon R7

A good review for anyone planning on using a Sigma 150-600....

Jul 17, 2022 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password