50              60       61       end

Canon R7

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.49 #1 · p.49 #1 · Canon R7

arbitrage wrote:
Why those exposure settings? All you got is a motion blurred goldfinch

Well how about I was just trying out eye-AF on a dull rainy day handheld at 1/60 sec. It locked on the eye, which was the point of the image.

---------------------------------------------

arbitrage wrote:
Once the rest of us reach the status of "master" we won't have those issues either

Unlike some, I don't make ignorant assumptions about what usernames people use or what they mean. I guess if I wanted to be some "master", like some others need to be, I would have to own the most expensive Canon, Sony, and Nikon bodies and lenses to impress others.

To educate yourself, and a few others, Google "imagemaster" and see how many million hits you come up with. They are not all me and most of them have nothing to do with photography. JFYI, it was a registered business name I used for a number of years when I was selling my prints along with Limited Edition Prints by Robert Bateman, Carl Brenders, Andrew Kiss, Ron Parker, Howard Terpning, etc. etc.

Pardon me that I chose a business name that indicated to the consumer that I was selling images by master artists. Pretty sure that posting here for over 18 years I have never claimed to be a master photographer.

Did you just get bored posting swallows in-flight over at the Sony Forum?

Jul 05, 2022 at 07:06 PM
duncang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.49 #2 · p.49 #2 · Canon R7

KINGOFKNGS wrote:
I have very rarely noted the wobble with the R3/R5 and the RF600. On the R7 itís very dramatic and very notable when it happens, but usually there are enough photos in the burst that I can pick out unaffected images. Ideally there wouldnít be any wobble, obviously.

Have you noticed it with the R3 ? The R5 readout speed is faster than the R7 so you would expect it to be less noticeable but I wouldn't expect to see it with the R3 at all.

Jul 05, 2022 at 07:32 PM
duncang
• •
p.49 #3 · p.49 #3 · Canon R7

Imagemaster wrote:
Well how about I was just trying out eye-AF on a dull rainy day handheld at 1/60 sec. It locked on the eye, which was the point of the image.

---------------------------------------------

Unlike some, I don't make ignorant assumptions about what usernames people use or what they mean. I guess if I wanted to be some "master", like some others need to be, I would have to own the most expensive Canon, Sony, and Nikon bodies and lenses to impress others.

To educate yourself, and a few others, Google "imagemaster" and see how many million hits you come up with. They are
...Show more

The point generally is to get in focus images.

The R7 is not perfect but for the most part works in quite difficult situations. The A1 doesn't exactly shine in many of these situations either.

Why you would want to take pictures in the situation below I don't know, but each to their own...

This works well where there is no foreground/background in the same horizontal plane

This not so much as the camera will often get confuse by the foreground/background and focus will wander off and needs a lot of encouragement. I have not tried different 'stickiness' settings.

In bushes/reeds it is good at finding the subject but not so consistent with actually getting the eye in focus.

Jul 05, 2022 at 07:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.49 #4 · p.49 #4 · Canon R7

Imagemaster wrote:
Did you just get bored posting swallows in-flight over at the Sony Forum?

Pretty much...just perusing what toy I should buy next....but probably will head over to the M43 forums for that.

Jul 05, 2022 at 08:11 PM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.49 #5 · p.49 #5 · Canon R7

I have to go back and look. I never really noticed anything until I saw Janís comments on his video a month or so ago. I predominantly shoot with the R3. I have noticed it in the past month when reviewing series of photos, but I canít remember which body. Iíll try to look through some shots in the next couple days.

duncang wrote:
Have you noticed it with the R3 ? The R5 readout speed is faster than the R7 so you would expect it to be less noticeable but I wouldn't expect to see it with the R3 at all.

Jul 05, 2022 at 08:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.49 #6 · p.49 #6 · Canon R7

The OM-1 + 150-400 Pro rocks. Mitesh is having so much fun he has not touched his A1 since he picked up the OM-1 .... his words, not mine:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1762843/0#15980061

Even Alex Phan jumped on the OM-1 bandwagon. The 150-400 Pro is a must-have, of course.

arbitrage wrote:
Pretty much...just perusing what toy I should buy next....but probably will head over to the M43 forums for that.

Jul 05, 2022 at 08:19 PM
armd
• • • •
p.49 #7 · p.49 #7 · Canon R7

mdees88 wrote:
Looks like Duade had the same issue I did with birds on the ground and the AF jumping between the bird and the background.

https://youtu.be/Dk8T2OlfS90

The warping occurred when he was shooting relatively static subjects and wasnít panning. I suspect this is an IS issue which was observed on the earlier Cannon MILC and lenses. If I recall correctly, there were firmware updates for both the cameras and lenses. Good review and very promising.

Jul 05, 2022 at 10:00 PM
docusync
• •
p.49 #8 · p.49 #8 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
The OM-1 + 150-400 Pro rocks. Mitesh is having so much fun he has not touched his A1 since he picked up the OM-1 .... his words, not mine:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1762843/0#15980061

Even Alex Phan jumped on the OM-1 bandwagon. The 150-400 Pro is a must-have, of course.

A 150-400/4.5 m4/3 lens would be a 300-800/9 FF equivalent. With the 1.25x TC itís a 375-1000/11.25 equivalent. The R5 + 800/11 to me seems like a better option since you still have a 45Mpx sensor to crop (vs just 20Mpx OM-1). Yes, the OM-1 is more than twice faster (50fps), and Pro Capture is really awesome, but considering equivalence, it maybe not as miraculous as it sounds.

Jul 05, 2022 at 10:57 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.49 #9 · p.49 #9 · Canon R7

The 150-400 Pro at 1,000mm is f5.6 which is great for low light shooting. And the image quality of this lens is way better than the cheap RF 800/11 consumer-grade lens.

docusync wrote:
A 150-400/4.5 m4/3 lens would be a 300-800/9 FF equivalent. With the 1.25x TC itís a 375-1000/11.25 equivalent. The R5 + 800/11 to me seems like a better option since you still have a 45Mpx sensor to crop (vs just 20Mpx OM-1). Yes, the OM-1 is more than twice faster (50fps), and Pro Capture is really awesome, but considering equivalence, it maybe not as miraculous as it sounds.

Jul 05, 2022 at 11:20 PM
duncang
• •
p.49 #10 · p.49 #10 · Canon R7

arbitrage wrote:

A1 just makes it too easy huh !

Jul 05, 2022 at 11:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.49 #11 · p.49 #11 · Canon R7

The same as the R3 in one way. You can set the AF to Whole Area AF, Animal Detect Ö and the camera will find the eye of the bird, even if the bird is very far away Ö or in a bush. The R5/R6 canít do that. This is huge.

311erin wrote:
Who said the R7 AF is the same as the R3?? Wrong. Just got mine and while they look the same, they do not act the same at all. Just my opinion and no I will not post 60 consecutive shots to prove how they behave differently. I donít care and wasnít expecting them to be equal either, by the way. The R7 is a nice little camera.

Jul 05, 2022 at 11:52 PM
docusync
• •
p.49 #12 · p.49 #12 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
The 150-400 Pro at 1,000mm is f5.6 which is great for low light shooting. And the image quality of this lens is way better than the cheap RF 800/11 consumer-grade lens.

Itís f/5.6 projecting on a sensor with a crop factor 2. You can translate it to FF here: https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/crop-factor

The 800/11 is a consumer grade lens, but the pictures coming out from it are very well comparable to what the 150-400/4.5 can deliver on an m43 body:

You can find sample images in the description to the videos.

Jul 06, 2022 at 03:17 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.49 #13 · p.49 #13 · Canon R7

Quote. "The R7's AF methods inherited from the R3 do present an issue sometimes as Duade points out because you can't have a button programmed to traditional Single Point (or Spot) without tracking/eyeAF and one programmed to do Tracking Eye AF at the same time. You have to have a button to disable Tracking/Eye AF in order to get back to a traditional AF point. This is because once the Tracking/Eye-AF is turned on it is turned on for all the AF modes unlike on the R5/R6."

I am interested in any work arounds for this. I really like the 2back button af setup on my r5. Mine is set for 3back button if you count magnify. All 3 focus methods get their use for birds. Jp

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:40 AM
tiggy
• •
p.49 #14 · p.49 #14 · Canon R7

The 800/11 is a consumer grade lens, but the pictures coming out from it are very well comparable to what the 150-400/4.5 can deliver on an m43 body:

I agree. The 800 f/11 has some significant compromises relative to the 150-400 (trombone deployment*; limited focus area; length; and especially, the minimum focus distance), but the image quality is very surprisingly good. I've only played with one copy of it, but that one compares closely to other super sharp sensor/focal length equivalent 800mm configurations.

-tig

* I've always been puzzled how a DO lens can manage to be so long. The RF 800 f/5.8 is 17 inches long, and the 800 DO is 14 inches when extended. A savings, but not a huge percentage of length saved for the complexity of adding a DO element.

Jul 06, 2022 at 07:41 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.49 #15 · p.49 #15 · Canon R7

jpeter wrote:
Quote. "The R7's AF methods inherited from the R3 do present an issue sometimes as Duade points out because you can't have a button programmed to traditional Single Point (or Spot) without tracking/eyeAF and one programmed to do Tracking Eye AF at the same time. You have to have a button to disable Tracking/Eye AF in order to get back to a traditional AF point. This is because once the Tracking/Eye-AF is turned on it is turned on for all the AF modes unlike on the R5/R6."

I am interested in any work arounds for this. I really like the 2back
...Show more

If you look back to page 48, posts 10 and 16 you will see that one poster has a way to set it up so it can be like the R5.

I wish I had a camera to play with as I keep thinking that there was some reason I couldn't set it up that way when I had the R3. I notice the poster is using One Shot for his 2nd back button with Single AF point (setup via the Detail Set under AF/Metering Start). Not sure if having it in AI Servo for that 2nd button creates a limitation?

Somehow I recall having to set a button or quick menu item to toggle on/off subject detection in order to get a Spot AF point without it doing Subject Detect but I may be misremembering my R3 setup?

Anyways, if you have/get the R7, see if you can setup the 2nd (and 3rd) back button via the Detail Set to Single/Spot AF and have subject tracking/eye AF turn off when holding in the 2nd back button.

Jul 06, 2022 at 08:39 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.49 #16 · p.49 #16 · Canon R7

I also think these two videos for the R3 may be of use for new R7 owners. There is a peculiar way that subject tracking works depending on how you turn it on. I assume this will be the same on the R7. The 2nd video is more specific for this. The first video is long and the relevant info is in the latter part of the video.

Jul 06, 2022 at 08:43 AM
dj63401
• •
p.49 #17 · p.49 #17 · Canon R7

bobbytan wrote:
The same as the R3 in one way. You can set the AF to Whole Area AF, Animal Detect Ö and the camera will find the eye of the bird, even if the bird is very far away Ö or in a bush. The R5/R6 canít do that. This is huge.

Please don't tell my R5 it can't do that, because it does for me!!!

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:31 AM
dj63401
• •
p.49 #18 · p.49 #18 · Canon R7

jpeter wrote:

...Show more

As Arbitrage answered, see my two posts from yesterday. If this does not work for you, post and maybe I can help.

Jul 06, 2022 at 10:52 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.49 #19 · p.49 #19 · Canon R7

jpeter wrote:

...Show more

I've configured my AF-on button to switch between servo and one shot in my Av mode. This is my single shot general purpose mode for people, landscape, things. Servo with people is great so human and eye are enabled. With non-living objects the servo mode can wander and pick what I don't want. This button lets me easily switch servo off when I want the AF point to stay put. I never use AF-on, I know, shame on me, I'm not a "real" photographer.

I've got C1 set to my animal eye tracking at 15 FPS first curtain so its quickly accessible. I do similar with my other bodies. On my 90D I have the * button configured to essentially be in C1 mode while I have it pressed. Might see if I can do the same on my R7.

Jul 06, 2022 at 11:23 AM
duncang
• •
p.49 #20 · p.49 #20 · Canon R7

arbitrage wrote:
If you look back to page 48, posts 10 and 16 you will see that one poster has a way to set it up so it can be like the R5.

I wish I had a camera to play with as I keep thinking that there was some reason I couldn't set it up that way when I had the R3. I notice the poster is using One Shot for his 2nd back button with Single AF point (setup via the Detail Set under AF/Metering Start). Not sure if having it in AI Servo for that 2nd button creates a limitation?

Somehow
...Show more

Yes you can customise each button - see screens below.

BTW - I can't seem to program 3 buttons with AF + custom settings. There does not seem to be a 3rd button one can use that allows customisation of the settings.

R7 BBF Menu Settings

http://duncangroenewald.com/pages/guides/R7-quick-guide/pages/section-2-autofocus-setup.html

AF ON Back Button

* Back Button

Optional * Back Button - with No Tracking

Edited on Jul 06, 2022 at 07:34 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2022 at 06:43 PM
1       2       3              48      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              48      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password