1       2      
       4              60       61       end

Canon R7

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon R7

gkinard1952 wrote:
Depends if it can AF? If like the 7DII then, as much as I hate to I will get the R5. I have two Canon lenses I like so here is hoping.

It will AF as well as the R6/R5.

May 11, 2022 at 03:00 PM
jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon R7

EverLearning wrote:
Yes, real shame that they didn't do one of each. This would allow people with R5 or similar to leverage their CFe cards while people that have a nice stockpile of UHS-II can likewise leverage what they have. With these specs it means buying three or more UHS-II cards and another card reader.

I waited and waited (and waited and ...) for a 7D Mark III/R7 camera but finally made the move on an R5. I don't regret it but, as about 85% - 90% of what I shoot is wildlife, I would consider the R7 as a backup/second camera for
...Show more

Seems like most folks in the R3 and R5 realm, and even lower, are serious enough to shoot duplicates, meaning they are using both cards anyway. Which means they already have SD cards. I know of a contingent for R5 users that didn't buy and CFE cards because of the ridiculous cost (though now they are finally coming down somewhat). So really doesn't seem a hassle that this camera has SD slots only.

Brian

May 11, 2022 at 03:11 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon R7

EB-1 wrote:
Lack of CFe is quite bad since many users also have R5 and/or R3 bodies and CFe cards. It's another extra expense and logistics hassle requiring two types of cards in the bag.

EBH

On the other hand, as a R6 owner I'd love having one memory card type and one battery type for both cameras.

May 11, 2022 at 03:39 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon R7

Brian, perspectives are subjective and anecdotal. I would suspect that people who are shooting weddings would indeed use two slots in order to have duplicates because that's a situation where you truly only get one chance at the special moments and one's reputation rides on capturing those moments. But I don't think the R7 would be the camera of choice for weddings and out of all the wildlife photographers I know (some who are "serious enough", including myself), I don't know a single one who shoots to two cards at the same time. That doesn't mean that there aren't people paranoid enough about card failure to decide to do so, it's just my perspective that it is not all that common for wildlife photographers. So for at least a reasonable number of people, having the R5 or R3 and contemplating the R7 means purchasing cards of a different type and a different (additional) reader. More to buy and more to pack. I would much rather have a sufficient cache of cards of one type than having to ensure I have a sufficient cache of both types.

As the R7 would be predominantly for wildlife and outdoor sports, it seems wholly reasonable, to me, to have one slot of each type. For those that shoot only one card at a time, existing cards of either type will do the trick and would allow cross-usability with other bodies (either up or down). For those shooting the wildlife or outdoor sports genres who really want to shoot two cards at the same time, they too would still be able to do so.

May 11, 2022 at 03:44 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon R7

I don't see the card slots as being a major issue...Even at today's prices, memory still isn't very expensive in the grand scheme of things...And I too would expect the R7 to focus as well as the R5/6, which is darn well.

May 11, 2022 at 04:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon R7

cohenfive wrote:
I don't see the card slots as being a major issue...Even at today's prices, memory still isn't very expensive in the grand scheme of things...And I too would expect the R7 to focus as well as the R5/6, which is darn well.

May 11, 2022 at 05:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon R7

EB-1 wrote:
Lack of CFe is quite bad since many users also have R5 and/or R3 bodies and CFe cards. It's another extra expense and logistics hassle requiring two types of cards in the bag.

EBH

Mike_5D wrote:
On the other hand, as a R6 owner I'd love having one memory card type and one battery type for both cameras.

Perhaps I forgot that the R6 had 2x SD slots. Unfortunately it makes sense for the R7 to use the storage system hardware in common with the R6. It will probably have other R6 cheapness such as no display.

EBH

May 11, 2022 at 10:17 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon R7

EB-1 wrote:
Perhaps I forgot that the R6 had 2x SD slots. Unfortunately it makes sense for the R7 to use the storage system hardware in common with the R6. It will probably have other R6 cheapness such as no display.

EBH

The R6 has enough ways to display and change settings that I haven't missed the top display I had with DSLRs.

May 11, 2022 at 10:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon R7

EB-1 wrote:
It will probably have other R6 cheapness such as no display.

Gee, just like all lower-priced models donít have the same features as the higher priced models do because it costs less to manufacture them. Who would have thought.

May 11, 2022 at 11:23 PM
Uarctos
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon R7

I won't mind a chepear body with great AF and IQ. Even with two SD slots it will be fine, as long as it delivers.
I am using two memory cards for wildlife, but that's because I am also shooting sport professionally :-)

May 12, 2022 at 12:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon R7

I also havenít missed the top display, but I rarely change modes, I shoot exclusively in M mode with auto ISO, eliminating one big reason for the top display for my personal use in the past.

May 12, 2022 at 03:44 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon R7

TeamSpeed wrote:
I also havenít missed the top display, but I rarely change modes, I shoot exclusively in M mode with auto ISO, eliminating one big reason for the top display for my personal use in the past.

The settings that were on my 5D3's top LCD are easily changed in via the M-Fn button. I've always had a mode dial so still having it in the R6 isn't a hardship. I mainly use mine to switch between M and custom mode settings. For example, around the house, I keep my 50/1.4 mounted and C1 is set up for f/2, 1/160sec, servo, and face detect with auto starting point so I can quickly get a picture of my toddler. With a physical mode dial, I can quickly turn it to C1 even before powering on.

May 12, 2022 at 10:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon R7

Cameras had much better top displays in the 20th century and modern ones like the R5 are pathetic. Number of remaining frames is the one I want to see most, followed by aperture and shutter speed.

EBH

May 12, 2022 at 11:12 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon R7

EB-1 wrote:
Cameras had much better top displays in the 20th century and modern ones like the R5 are pathetic. Number of remaining frames is the one I want to see most, followed by aperture and shutter speed.

EBH

Or you could look at the LCD for viewfinder.

May 12, 2022 at 11:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon R7

Your camera bags must be configured differently. I want to know how many frames are left before picking it up.

EBH

May 12, 2022 at 11:22 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon R7

In regards to the complaints about 2 SD slots rather than a CFe & SD slots.

Is there anyone on this forum that doesn't already have a drawer full of SD cards including UHS-II's ?

If a person doesn't have a drawer full of SD cards already, then logic says they must be a newbie just entering the world of "real" cameras vs just using their cell phone. So again, no one here (that I know of) falls into this category.

Is there anyone here that thinks a "newbie" isn't going to turn & run back to their cell phone when they realize they need to cough up several hundred dollars and up to $1,800 for one single CFe card?

I know of one very popular wildlife photographer here on FM that never even bothered buying a CFe card when this person was shooting the R5.

The logic of it costing R3/5 users extra money because it has dual SD slots is pretty rich as well.
It would cost every single R3/5 user several hundred dollars more if it had a CFe slot because most would want to put a CFe card in both cameras at the same time. Currently I only need, use and own a single CFe card. Why would I want to have to go buy another one when I have a drawer full of SD cards not being used?

The argument that using two SD's is some form of "cheapness" is a bit ridiculous as well.
Was Nikon ridiculed or hailed for making the Z9 a "cheap" camera by removing the mechanical shutter completely? Why would they do such a thing? Oh yeah, to reduce cost and put the money towards things that really matter. Brilliant move I think!

People would bitch like hell if this R7 had one SD and one CFe or even if it had dual CFe slots. Then it would be to expensive and would give them something else to piss and moan about.

No top screen is a huge win and smart move in my book. I think I've actually looked at the top screen on my R5 once in nearly 2 years.

Personally, I think if they strip everything they reasonably can out of this R7 to reduce cost but add $$ back into it to improve the AF, high ISO IQ and read out speed beyond that of the R5 then we're going to have a huge winner here. So much so, that I might cave and pick one up even though I've previously stated I wouldn't be interested.

This thing is shaping up to be a killer wildlife rig if the latest CR3 is correct. Just imagine this R7+100-500 for lightweight walk-about combo. I'm getting myself into more trouble just thinking about it.

May 12, 2022 at 11:38 AM
mslino

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon R7

By the way, were there any comments regarding the body itself? Would it be similar to R6/R5, or will it have another form factor?

May 12, 2022 at 11:44 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon R7

EB-1 wrote:
Your camera bags must be configured differently. I want to know how many frames are left before picking it up.

EBH

I always just put huge cards in, and then empty them after each shoot. I don't think I have even ever gotten to 50% of card capacity over the years. However I could see that being useful.

I don't even use the top display on my 5D4 these days, not sure if that is because I have been using the R6 so much, or if I stopped using before getting the R6, lol.

May 12, 2022 at 11:53 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon R7

I only have 3x128GB UHS-II purchased for my Sony. UHS-II cards are much slower than the CFe cards. If the R7 has 32MP and does 15 FPS in MS and 30 FPS in ES the buffer will most likely be an issue for heavy users. I hope it has a high amount of RAM to mitigate the SD write impact. It looks that 2x256GB would be about $600, so that's not terrible.

I'm not quite sure what the R7 is trying to be, but the D500 had an XQD slot in 2016 and could shoot practically continuously. If Canon wants to save money, then maybe they could eliminate the video functions. If the sensor is a rehash of the current 32MP sensors without the BSO, some money should also be saved there compared to the R5 for example. Ultimately the R7 will be what it will be, but it is important to point out key weaknesses of new products. I am hoping the R7 will prompt Nikon to make a similar camera.

EBH

May 12, 2022 at 12:07 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon R7

lighthound wrote:
In regards to the complaints about 2 SD slots rather than a CFe & SD slots.

Is there anyone on this forum that doesn't already have a drawer full of SD cards including UHS-II's ?

If a person doesn't have a drawer full of SD cards already, then logic says they must be a newbie just entering the world of "real" cameras vs just using their cell phone. So again, no one here (that I know of) falls into this category.

Is there anyone here that thinks a "newbie" isn't going to turn & run back to their cell phone when
...Show more

Lighthound, you have a different perspective on this and I respect that. However, your expression of your opinion is dismissive of those who hold a different opinion.

"Is there anyone on this forum that doesn't already have a drawer full of SD cards including UHS-II's ?"

I started digital with a 10D in 2003 (so not a newbie), then 40D, 7D, 7D M2 and now R5. I have a substantial collection of CF cards and a few CFe cards but not one single SD card. Furthermore, one can buy a 2 pack of 128GB CFe Delkin cards for $310, not $1800 for one card.

I see nothing "rich" about somebody wanting to leverage the cards they already have, be it CFe or SD, and only have to worry about having enough of one type of card for both cameras for an entire trip rather than having to ensure they have enough cards of each type for the entire trip. Also, there is enough stuff to pack on a trip to places like Africa, Antartica, Costa Rica, etc. that I would rather not pack two card readers (for example). What if the R7 has a different battery? Would it be "pretty rich" that people would be disappointed that they have to buy three batteries of a different type and carry a different charger in addition to what they are taking for the R5 (or whatever)? Photography is an expensive habit. I get that. But if I am going to spend money on it, I would rather spend it on something that provides true value rather than being forced to acquire more cards simply because all the cards I already have are incompatible.

BTW, I fail to understand the logic of this statement:

"It would cost every single R3/5 user several hundred dollars more if it had a CFe slot because most would want to put a CFe card in both cameras at the same time."

This is an example of people exercising their right to choose what they put in, not of being forced to spend on a different card type. Also, again, a single CFe Delkin 128GB can be had for $165.

My point was, and is, if they put one of each type of slot on the camera, those that have a collection of CFe cards would be golden and those that have a collection of SD cards would be golden. and those that have a collection of both? Well, nirvana I guess.

May 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password