New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              63       64       end

Archive 2022 · Canon R7

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon R7

Just a CR1 rumor, so don't shoot the messenger.

https://youtu.be/XMWk-FHL9oE

The Canon EOS R7 specifications include a 32-megapixel APS-C BSI Image Sensor, 20 fps burst, and a DIGIC X processor.

It is expected to have two card slots. One CFexpress and another for a regular SD card.

Videographers are up for a treat as well as it is rumored to have a 4K 60fps video mode and a 1080p 240fps for super slow motion. It will also feature C-Log 3.

Extra features include the latest hot shoe design from Canon.

The body is expected to carry over the ergonomics of the Canon R5 and R6.

As usual, these specifications are all rumors at the moment. However,
...Show more

The Canon EOS R7 lens mount is still unknown. But there is a high chance that it will be an RF Mount - making the first APS-C RF camera from the company.

According to Canon, the company will launch 32 new lenses in the next four years.

If rumors that the R7 will have an APS-C sensor is true, then the upcoming RF lenses will include crop-sensor compatible models.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:23 AM
johnbro27
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon R7

If all that is true, it will be an amazing camera. They'll have to price it under the R6, I would assume, so $1500-$1800US? Wow.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:32 AM
jedibrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon R7

If all those specs are true, I'd be shocked if it was less expensive than an R6.

Does sound pretty nice though.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:34 AM
Dilemma
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon R7

jedibrain wrote:
If all those specs are true, I'd be shocked if it was less expensive than an R6.

Does sound pretty nice though.

No chance that’s accurate. I can’t see it.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:13 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon R7

Dilemma wrote:

People said the same thing about the r6 when specs were released.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:37 AM
gkinard1952
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon R7

Please don't slam the cripple hammer on the AF on it if it comes...
Great AF, Great AF, Great AF. One other thing I could wish for is Great AF...
Don't care about the rest.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:48 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon R7

gkinard1952 wrote:
Please don't slam the cripple hammer on the AF on it if it comes...
Great AF, Great AF, Great AF. One other thing I could wish for is Great AF...
Don't care about the rest.

If the specs are close to true and this is a sports and wildlife APS-C RF body north of $2000, then I don't see them crippling the AF.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:53 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon R7

I don´t think there is any room for crippling in this competitive environment. Add all the more or less informed opinions all over the net, and one bad or even so so product would cut the throat (= market share) of the crippler.

Apr 28, 2022 at 01:13 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon R7

Z250SA wrote:
I don´t think there is any room for crippling in this competitive environment. Add all the more or less informed opinions all over the net, and one bad or even so so product would cut the throat (= market share) of the crippler.

There's a fine line between product differentiation and crippling products. No brand wants to make a $2000 camera as good as a $3000 camera. One thing that will separate an APS-C camera from full frame is the bias many people have against smaller sensors. Even if an R7 matched an R5 or R6 in every way, they'll still have to charge less for the R7 to overcome the smaller sensor. I think that works in our favor, allowing Canon to include higher end features to balance out the smaller sensor.

Apr 28, 2022 at 01:30 PM
Z250SA
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon R7

Mike_5D wrote:
... I think that works in our favor, allowing Canon to include higher end features to balance out the smaller sensor.

I would agree if you change allowing to forcing. I don´t think any company will add features without getting a premium for every detail added. They are forced to sell a premium feature set at a lower price by stiff competition, only.

My guess and hope is that AF is the one decisive feature that they can´t differentiate downwards. If AF would not be up to snuff, it can´t be compensated by any fancy video feature or other such.

Apr 28, 2022 at 02:48 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon R7

Dilemma wrote:

What part of these specs seem hard to believe.

I think the specs listed here are pretty much expected for a high-end APS-C body at this point. Fuji X-T4 already shoots 20 FPS at full 26MP resolution. It also has a BSI sensor. It also offers 4K60 and 1080p 240, and has internal 10-bit recording and log recording. It also has dual card slots. So pretty much all the specs listed are in line with the $1700 X-T4 released 2 years ago. You would expect a $2000 R7 released in 2022 to at least match these specs.

Apr 28, 2022 at 03:03 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon R7

curious80 wrote:

I think the specs listed here are pretty much expected for a high-end APS-C body at this point. Fuji X-T4 already shoots 20 FPS at full 26MP resolution. It also has a BSI sensor. It also offers 4K60 and 1080p 240, and has internal 10-bit recording and log recording. It also has dual card slots. So pretty much all the specs listed are in line with the $1700 X-T4 released 2 years ago. You would expect a $2000 R7 released in 2022 to at least match these specs.

Ditto, and Canon Marketing is well aware that there is a demand for such a camera. As many have pointed out, there are lots of Canon shooters who want a mirrorless APS-C body that will perform as well, or better, than an R6 and they would be willing to pay the same price or even higher than that of the R6.

It is a similar scenario in Nikon land. There are many that want a D500 mirrorless version and don't give a hoot about the present Z-series offerings.

Same thing in Sony land?

Apr 28, 2022 at 03:23 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon R7

Imagemaster wrote:
Ditto, and Canon Marketing is well aware that there is a demand for such a camera. As many have pointed out, there are lots of Canon shooters who want a mirrorless APS-C body that will perform as well, or better, than an R6 and they would be willing to pay the same price or even higher than that of the R6.

It is a similar scenario in Nikon land. There are many that want a D500 mirrorless version and don't give a hoot about the present Z-series offerings.

Same thing in Sony land?

The R6 sets a pretty high bar for things like AF and frame rate. In the past, you'd get a 7D for action and a 5D for more sedate subjects demanding better dynamic range. Or a 6D if your subjects didn't move much at all. Now the successor to the 6D has it all except for 45 MP. I don't see an R7 costing more than an R6.

Apr 28, 2022 at 03:31 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon R7

Sounds good....but it will all come down to the sensor scan speed to decide if it is a true 7DII replacement. Hopefully being APS-C it will be able to scan fairly quickly even without a stacked CMOS.

Apr 28, 2022 at 05:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon R7

arbitrage wrote:
Sounds good....but it will all come down to the sensor scan speed to decide if it is a true 7DII replacement. Hopefully being APS-C it will be able to scan fairly quickly even without a stacked CMOS.

If not then it would be more of an "R90" type of body.

EBH

Apr 28, 2022 at 07:39 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon R7

Canon rumors has had the R7 rumors at CR1 for what, a year or more now? Camera news is slow, the new owner of canon rumors probably needed to raise some click counts.

Example: https://www.canonrumors.com/there-may-be-as-many-as-three-rf-mount-aps-c-cameras-on-the-horizon-cr1/

Apr 28, 2022 at 08:30 PM
JRobertson
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon R7

Current rumor was updated to CR3, with announcement suggested in June/July.

May 10, 2022 at 07:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon R7

The CR indicates May 24 as the announcement date.

EBH

May 10, 2022 at 08:00 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon R7

That announcement date has been moving a lot. March, then August, then June/July, now May. I hope it happens. New stuff is always interesting.

Brian

May 10, 2022 at 08:26 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon R7

Yes, but Fuji af is still not up to speed with what Canon offers and I’m a Fuji shooter.

curious80 wrote:

May 10, 2022 at 04:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.