FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

The new Payboo card is one hot mess

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

there are a number of so-called "patterns" here that can be explored.

May 15, 2022 at 09:56 AM
amv8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

The big 3 credit reporting agencies and LexisNexis are large companies and have been around for a long time. They know the laws and regulations and certainly are setup to unfreeze credit reports within the one hour time requirement. Even if LexisNexis is pulling data from the big 3 as a reseller responding to an inquiry from Comenity, they know how to do it correctly. LexisNexis isn't Netflix and they're not caching a bunch of movies like a CDN, they're dealing with dynamic consumer data that changes all the time. In other words, when they get an inquiry, they'll interactively pull from the big 3 (or some subset) and not use some old cached data or an out of date freeze status.

I've now seen a number of reports on this thread where folks unfroze their credit at the big 3 and still had issues with "credit freezes" when applying for the Payboo card much longer than one hour after unfreezing their credit. Sure, we're reading only "one side of the transaction" on this forum. Do these large companies make mistakes? Yeah, on occasion they do. Equifax through their own gross negligence got hacked in 2017 which led to 140+ million Americans having their personal info breached (btw, this is why you put credit freezes in place). But I'm sensing something is not quite right here.

Henry P @ B&H has been following this thread. I completely understand that B&H can't get involved with individual credit decisions that are in the purview of Comenity. However, if I were B&H and saw some evidence that my business partner, Comenity, wasn't following regulatory protocols, I'd figure out what's going on and get things rectified if indeed there is an issue. Hopefully, Henry will have that opportunity. He has a long history of being proactive and helpful.

May 15, 2022 at 04:48 PM
eyal
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

Just got my denial letter - LexisNexis freeze which I never placed

Now have to request a pin from them to remove the freeze

May 16, 2022 at 06:33 PM
amv8
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

eyal wrote:
Just got my denial letter - LexisNexis freeze which I never placed

Now have to request a pin from them to remove the freeze

As I said, something doesn't seem right...

If you end up going through the process with LexisNexis, maybe you can share how one removes a credit freeze that one never placed?

May 16, 2022 at 10:21 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

I got this recently from our bank liaison here:

SageStream may use a different agency for verification. Ask them if this is the case. From what we’ve heard the freeze may be by a company called Innovis which SageStream uses. Here are contact details we have for them:
Innovis Consumer Assistance
PO Box 530086
Atlanta, GA 30353-0086
866-712-4546
www.innovis.com

Henry Posner
henryp @ bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

May 17, 2022 at 10:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Y
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

I permanently removed the LexisNexis freeze on my account, and confirmed this with a phone call and my pin, but Comenity still claimed my credit report from them was frozen a week after it was lifted. I'm just about to give up at this point.

May 18, 2022 at 09:03 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

Hi Henry,

Thank you for monitoring this thread. Please note that the Comenity letter explicitly points to LexisNexis as the provider of the credit reports.

As to Innovis... I remember first reading about Innovis around the time of the Experian hack, where they were described as a little known 4th credit agency. I recall contacting them about freezing but never went through with the process because they wanted me to send them written paperwork and did not have an online mechanism. I waived it off due to the hassle factor. Perhaps they decided retroactively to to freeze after all without informing the requestor?

For me at least this information comes too late. I have expanded enough energy and have no desire to deal with Comenity any more. Hopefully others find this useful.

henryp wrote:

SageStream may use a different agency for verification. Ask them if this is the case. From what we’ve heard the freeze may be by a company called Innovis which SageStream uses. Here are contact details we have for them:
PO Box 530086
Atlanta, GA 30353-0086
866-712-4546
www.innovis.com

Henry Posner
henryp @ bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

May 19, 2022 at 12:54 AM
eyal
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

henryp wrote:

PO Box 530086
Atlanta, GA 30353-0086
866-712-4546
www.innovis.com

Henry Posner
henryp @ bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was thrilled with the idea of the Payboo card and that it definitely steered me to purchase more than just lenses from BH Photo.

Without it, there is no such incentive as my credit card company will offer me percent back independent of reseller.

As consumers we have exactly zero power over Comenity.

As a corporation, if the Payboo card proved beneficial, I would suggest BH Photo would be well served to push Comenity to change the provider they use as the LexisNexis and Innovis freezes are the least consumer friendly ones to remove.

May 19, 2022 at 12:20 PM
amv8
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

Here's some additional information and commentary.

Sagestream was acquired by LexisNexis (https://www.sagestreamllc.com/). I've seen comments from forum members stating that LexisNexis had a credit freeze on their account even though they never personally placed a credit freeze with LexisNexis or they made sure any freeze was removed by contacting LexisNexis. However, from what we've seen on this thread I don't think we know for sure that LexisNexis actually had a credit freeze on their account. Rather, I think we know that Comenity sent letters to various forum members that had applied for the Payboo card stating Comenity couldn't process the application because a credit freeze was in place at LexisNexis. It's a subtle, but perhaps important difference.

I really don't think other entities can place a credit freeze without your knowledge/permission at a Credit Reporting Agency. Other entities or individuals definitely can not (legitimately) remove a security freeze from your credit file. See the following from the CFPB (consumerfinance.gov):

“Unlike fraud alerts, if you place a security freeze with one credit reporting company they will not notify the other credit reporting companies. You must contact each credit reporting company individually if you would like to place a security freeze with all three nationwide credit reporting companies.”

The person I spoke to today at the CFPB said that if you suspected a credit freeze wasn't being processed appropriately, you would file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission here:
https://consumer.ftc.gov/consumer-alerts/2018/09/free-credit-freezes-are-here

If the complaint was more specific to how Comenity was handling an application, I think the complaint would go through the CPFB.

Henry P said that B&H has a bank liason on staff which is great. Maybe that individual can find out how Comenity can report that an applicant has a credit freeze in place with LexisNexis when they never placed one in the first place or explicitly removed it?

May 19, 2022 at 06:18 PM
eyal
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · The new Payboo card is one hot mess

I didn't realize until a quick search now that Adorama has their own Edge Card. 5% off may not be as slick for most but, as a MA resident, it's pretty close to the PayBoo. Also Amazon card at 5% off may just be the easiest option. Not as wide a selection but has most lenses...

May 21, 2022 at 04:26 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password