New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Short M Camera Strap

lifeandmylens
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Short M Camera Strap

The included M camera strap is way too long for me. I've tried out a 35" Artisan & Artist and it's better but still too long. Looking for more of a 30" or so. Any suggestions?

Apr 22, 2022 at 09:52 AM
panos.v
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Short M Camera Strap

I use Peak Design straps for all my cameras. I have a Slide and a Leash and they can be adjusted from very short to full length. Plus I can remove it in 2 seconds.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:13 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Short M Camera Strap

lifeandmylens wrote:
The included M camera strap is way too long for me. I've tried out a 35" Artisan & Artist and it's better but still too long. Looking for more of a 30" or so. Any suggestions?

What M strap was included? They differ depending on camera.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:09 PM
lifeandmylens
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Short M Camera Strap

Desmolicious wrote:
What M strap was included? They differ depending on camera.

On my m10-r and m11 they're about 42" leather straps.

panos.v wrote:
I use Peak Design straps for all my cameras. I have a Slide and a Leash and they can be adjusted from very short to full length. Plus I can remove it in 2 seconds.

Thanks, I do like the Peak straps and use them for my Sony gear.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:29 PM
a m cole

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Short M Camera Strap

The Mcmurray and Blonde Madison St. camera strap is the nicest camera strap I have used and is available in custom lengths.

https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/collections/camera-straps/products/leather-camera-strap-madison-st-stitched

Apr 22, 2022 at 01:53 PM
lifeandmylens
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Short M Camera Strap

a m cole wrote:
The Mcmurray and Blonde Madison St. camera strap is the nicest camera strap I have used and is available in custom lengths.

https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/collections/camera-straps/products/leather-camera-strap-madison-st-stitched

This looks perfect, thank you!

Apr 22, 2022 at 02:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Short M Camera Strap

The one sold at Tamarkin looks good to me. I may grab one:
http://www.tamarkin.com/tamarkin-camera-leather-camera-strap

(no affiliation but they are nice folks)

Apr 22, 2022 at 07:15 PM
mcmurrayjackso

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Short M Camera Strap

Hey this is Mac from McMurray and Blonde (it's my personal account). Just wanted to say thank you for the shout out! Passing our name along is one of the best compliments we can get.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:48 PM
lifeandmylens
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Short M Camera Strap

mcmurrayjackso wrote:
Hey this is Mac from McMurray and Blonde (it's my personal account). Just wanted to say thank you for the shout out! Passing our name along is one of the best compliments we can get.

Hi there, your straps look great! Any way to get a protective flap on the rings to prevent scratches on the body of the camera?

Apr 23, 2022 at 06:04 AM
mcmurrayjackso

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Short M Camera Strap

I can make little leather donuts that go around the lug and help keep the split ring completely off the camera.

Generally, I use a combination of a a little thicker leather and a smaller split ring so is there isn't much room for it to hit anyway. On the Madison St | Stiched strap, I cut notches out of the fold specifically so I can use a 1/2 ring which really keeps down on the area for it to touch the camera.

lifeandmylens wrote:
Hi there, your straps look great! Any way to get a protective flap on the rings to prevent scratches on the body of the camera?

Apr 23, 2022 at 07:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

a m cole

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Short M Camera Strap

The combination of the thicker leather and smaller split ring have worked well for me. I have seen no marks on my silver Leica M-P240 in the two years of regular use with the strap.

Apr 23, 2022 at 11:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Short M Camera Strap

I see a lot of Leica M bodies with marks on the side due to the use of straps. I usually don't carry my camera with a neck strap but was wondering how the marks are made...I thought that leather rubbing against the body would be fine but perhaps after a while marks start to appear. Is this right?

Apr 28, 2022 at 04:26 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Short M Camera Strap

Fred Miranda wrote:
I see a lot of Leica M bodies with marks on the side due to the use of straps. I usually don't carry my camera with a neck strap but was wondering how the marks are made...I thought that leather rubbing against the body would be fine but perhaps after a while marks start to appear. Is this right?

The M240 series have plastic rub strips attached to the body. Mine has been mark free for years. Not sure why (cheaper...) Leica removed them from the 10 series onwards.
I do find the silver/chrome Leicas far more resilient than any of the other finishes.

It does seem strange that the latest leather Leica straps w the leather buffer still marks the black bodies.

Apr 28, 2022 at 04:42 PM
LBJ2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Short M Camera Strap

Fred Miranda wrote:

I've chatted with more than a few camera strap company owners about this. They all tell me their unique design will not mark an M camera body. However once I buy and connect the neck strap, its clear to me the potential to rub/mark both sides of the upper body of the camera once I see it on the camera and I will not use the strap.

If I want to use a neck strap I use a camera case the goes all the way up both sides of the camera e.g., a snap wrap around design.This designs seems to do a good job protecting the camera from neck strap rub marks. Only problem is most cases seem to be half case design and don't seem to provide upper camera protection.

This design below seems to be the best protection I've discovered so far, but I still have to take the case off to access the battery/SD card 🥺. So I 99% just use M with a split-ringless, no metal, leather wrist strap that loops through the camera's side lug.

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=406

Edited on Apr 28, 2022 at 05:03 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2022 at 05:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Short M Camera Strap

Desmolicious wrote:
The M240 series have plastic rub strips attached to the body. Mine has been mark free for years. Not sure why (cheaper...) Leica removed them from the 10 series onwards.
I do find the silver/chrome Leicas far more resilient than any of the other finishes.

It does seem strange that the latest leather Leica straps w the leather buffer still marks the black bodies.

I just bought the Leica Paracord strap from Cooph:
https://store.cooph.com/collections/paracord-straps-created-by-cooph/products/leica-paracord-strap-created-by-cooph?variant=38016995197127

It came with the round leather buffer but the end of the strap is so thick that the buffer is not even needed. I was wondering if the leather rubbing against the body all the time would cause marks. I have the silver M10-R.
You may be right, I have never seen these rub marks on silver bodies for sale.

Apr 28, 2022 at 05:03 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Short M Camera Strap

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just bought the Leica Paracord strap from Cooph:
https://store.cooph.com/collections/paracord-straps-created-by-cooph/products/leica-paracord-strap-created-by-cooph?variant=38016995197127

It came with the round leather buffer but the end of the strap is so thick that the buffer is not even needed. I was wondering if the leather rubbing against the body all the time would cause marks. I have the silver M10-R.
You may be right, I have never seen these rub marks on silver bodies for sale.

I love their straps and use the longer one cross-body as my main strap (6' tall w/long torso, and it hangs right around the hip). I like how they don't grip and pull on my shirts when it's time to sling them around. I would use the leather donut protectors, otherwise it may wear the leather cladding.

The black chrome and black paint Ms will always wear a little where the straps rub against the body unless you get a case like an Arte di Mano or other snap-type closure half case as was mentioned. Never seen the current sliver chrome show wear, only chips and scratches. The M11 black paint should wear like my Q2 Reporter, which is to say it won't wear at all. In fact the paint texture may eventually wear away the strap

Apr 28, 2022 at 09:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Short M Camera Strap

highdesertmesa wrote:
I love their straps and use the longer one cross-body as my main strap (6' tall w/long torso, and it hangs right around the hip). I like how they don't grip and pull on my shirts when it's time to sling them around. I would use the leather donut protectors, otherwise it may wear the leather cladding.

The black chrome and black paint Ms will always wear a little where the straps rub against the body unless you get a case like an Arte di Mano or other snap-type closure half case as was mentioned. Never seen the current sliver chrome
...Show more

It's a great strap. So strong and comfortable. Your picture shows the thick leather loop that rubs against the body. So far, my silver M is doing ok but I will keep an eye on it. I did add the leather donut.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Short M Camera Strap

and congrats on your new M11!

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Short M Camera Strap

LBJ2 wrote:
I've chatted with more than a few camera strap company owners about this. They all tell me their unique design will not mark an M camera body. However once I buy and connect the neck strap, its clear to me the potential to rub/mark both sides of the upper body of the camera once I see it on the camera and I will not use the strap.

If I want to use a neck strap I use a camera case the goes all the way up both sides of the camera e.g., a snap wrap around design.This designs seems to
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion LB. I will look into a half-case that extends all the way to the top.

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:07 PM
Rob L
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Short M Camera Strap

Don't know how you can have a Leica strap discussion without Harry Benz coming up.
https://www.harrybenz.com/. These are expensive and take forever to get, but they are wonderful. The back side and edges are smooth and they slide great for cross shoulder carry. And I like the Arte de Mano half case with battery door. This one does away with those misshappend straps with the 1/2 twist, that never really fit right. But they do extend up above the strap lugs, so they protect fairly well. The fit of these cases is amazing, they are very thin and become "one with the camera".
https://www.artedimano.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwma6TBhDIARIsAOKuANz-wFjUZL10wka5UrSzNA81AYYRP4kd4xXVAEJPP0MSvjxrTK03bd0aAqQLEALw_wcB. It seems the OP is probably not wanting cross shoulder carry, but I have found this combo with cross shoulder carry pretty much eliminates the rubbing.

Apr 29, 2022 at 08:12 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password