1       2       3              12      
       14              17       18       end

Official 800PF image and discussion thread

EyeSpyEagle
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

aboutthelight wrote:
Here is exactly what I said to start this "Are people really happy with the performance and sharpness of this lens?

Damn.... So if I had just answered this, we could have avoided all this BS?

Yes, I am VERY happy with my 800PF.

Regards,
Phil

May 20, 2022 at 02:29 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

aboutthelight wrote:
Here is exactly what I said to start this "Are people really happy with the performance and sharpness of this lens? I would think it would be on par with the 500PF and 300PF in terms of sharpness and ease of handling. When viewing on my 5k imac many of the images posted seem to have very unflattering backgrounds and I am not blown away at all with the sharpness either. Maybe just some growing pains with the lens or eagerness to use and post so not shooting in optimal conditions? Hope I don't sound too much like a bozo
...Show more

And what I was saying is that it is too early to make any judgments and your questions are premature, IMO. You talk about ten pages of images, but in reality we are talking a small number of photographers that have not had long to use the lens. We will learn more with time, but those ten pages don't tell us much of anything, IMO. Your characterization of the the results as less than stellar doesn't take into account that with this lens as with every new lens when people don't cull the images as much as normal and are eager to post examples, it is to be expected for such early examples with a lens that there will be many examples that are less than stellar, so IMO you make way too much out of those ten pages as they aren't a sufficient justification for your questions.

The second error you make is the clear equating even in the post above of the 300 and 500 PF with this 800 PF. I don't think that makes sense. The 800 PF is much closer to the fastest aperture 800mm lens alternatives than the 300 and 500 PF lenses are to the fastest aperture lenses at those focal lengths. That is a difference you fail to appreciate even in your post above and you lump all PF lenses together. I think that is a mistake.

May 20, 2022 at 02:30 PM
aboutthelight
• • •
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Steve Spencer wrote:
And what I was saying is that it is too early to make any judgments and your questions are premature, IMO. You talk about ten pages of images, but in reality we are talking a small number of photographers that have not had long to use the lens. We will learn more with time, but those ten pages don't tell us much of anything, IMO. Your characterization of the the results as less than stellar doesn't take into account that with this lens as with every new lens when people don't cull the images as much as normal and
...Show more

We are going to continue to disagree. I find your point and your argument absurd and nothing but an excuse for the poor images being posted. You can take really good images the instant you use a lens. This whole time is needed is just nonsense in my book. You can spend your life shooting with poor technique, in mid day light and sub optimal shooting angles and distance to background and the results won't change one bit. Unless the 800PF is your first lens and you have no basis for comparison then you will know what you are shooting with very quickly. And if people chose not to cull that does not in any way negate the fact they they posted less than stellar images. All of the images in my opinion look bad. You are free to disagree. But enough of them were posted that led me want to ask the question. If you think more time is needed and that is acceptable for you then that is fine. But that does not make me wrong in any way if I have a different expectation of the lens and the images posted.

With regards to your other point I simply can't understand why you would continue to talk about aperture and not appreciate that they are all PF lenses. That is what makes them so small and light. They all do share the same tendency for jittery backgrounds regardless of their aperture. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

This is completely pointless in my book. Nothing but blind defense of photos that in your words should have been culled and are less than stellar. Nikon has been making some outstanding, industry leading lenses. In my opinion 10 pages is enough of a sample size to be a bit concerned. If you disagree that is fine.

Edited on May 20, 2022 at 09:22 PM · View previous versions

May 20, 2022 at 03:39 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

aboutthelight wrote:
We are going to continue to disagree. I find your point and your argument absurd and nothing but an excuse for the poor images being posted. You can take really good images the instant you use a lens. This whole time is needed is just nonsense in my book. No it isn't. You can spend your life shooting with poor technique, in mid day light and sub optimal shooting angles and distance to background and the results won't change one bit. Unless the 800PF is your first lens and you have no basis for comparison then you will know what
...Show more

You again miss my point. You of course can take great pictures right away, but you can of course take mediocre pictures right away and every new lens thread I have seen people are eager to post new images and don't cull images nearly as much as when they have taken more pictures with the lens. I find it offensive you call this an excuse. I see it as just the way things work with all new lens. Note I don't have the lens and therefore I haven't posted any images with it.

The point you and I disagree on is whether there is a good collection of photos with the lens posted in the first ten pages. You think there is and I definitely do not. I think your analysis is based on way too small of a collection of photos and your evaluation is a rush to judgment and based on way too few pictures. You obviously think you have seen enough and it is that which I find absurd. You say enough pictures have been posted and I don't think enough have been. Neither do I think all the pictures are bad. Some are bad, some are mediocre, some are pretty good, and a couple are quite good. I don't think any truly excellent pictures have been presented yet, but again I wouldn't expect that just yet as it will typically take thousands of shot to get a truly excellent one. My point is that the distribution of pictures look like the pictures I see from pretty much every lens when it is first released and this distribution of pictures therefore tells us nothing about the lens, IMO. That you take this distribution as justification to ask questions about the lens is, IMO, an example of very poor analysis and judgment and the way you raise this point strikes me as not only poor analysis but an attempt to be argumentative and antagonistic. Who goes on a photography forum and starts posting that all the photos there are bad? You really think that is a reasonable analysis and isn't a bit insulting?

As to why not to lump the analysis of this lens with other PF lenses there are at least two important reasons. First, it has much shallower depth of field than the other PF lenses because of its longer focal length and therefore many not render in the same way. Second, it is a newer generation of PF and for that reason it may not render in the same way either. That too will take time to evaluate. I don't expect all PF lenses to rending in the same way any more than I expect all aspherical lenses to render in the same way. In my opinion, I have not seen any technology that totally controls rendering is such a way that different lenses with that technology don't differ in significant ways. I think this is likely to be true with PF lenses too,

May 20, 2022 at 03:56 PM
aboutthelight
• • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Steve Spencer wrote:
You again miss my point. You of course can take great pictures right away, but you can of course take mediocre pictures right away and every new lens thread I have seen people are eager to post new images and don't cull images nearly as much as when they have taken more pictures with the lens. I find it offensive you call this an excuse. I see it as just the way things work with all new lens. Note I don't have the lens and therefore I haven't posted any images with it.

The point you and I disagree
...Show more

Edit: This no longer has anything to do with the lens and everything to do with personal preferences and opinions. Feel free to PM me and we can continue this conversation in private.

May 20, 2022 at 04:57 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Great Egret with a little nesting material

Z9, 800pf

May 21, 2022 at 10:48 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

aboutthelight wrote:
Edit: This no longer has anything to do with the lens and everything to do with personal preferences and opinions. Feel free to PM me and we can continue this conversation in private.

What I said obviously is about evaluating the lens, but I am happy to take our discussion to PM and have sent you a PM.

May 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM
Lassep
• •
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Great image George, that egret is beautiful and i love the separation!

May 21, 2022 at 05:40 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Lassep wrote:
Great image George, that egret is beautiful and i love the separation!

Thanks very much!! 👍

May 21, 2022 at 06:25 PM
EyeSpyEagle
• • •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Theresa & I stopped by a park yesterday morning to see if we could spot any late migrant warblers, but did not. We saw one Yelow-Billed Cuchoo perched in a horribly busy tree. As we continued to look, we came across a group of folks training Belgian Malinois defence tactics.

Being "dog people" and owners of several German Sheppard's, we were intrigued. After watching for a bit, during a break I asked (from a safe distance!) if they would mind if we photographed the dogs. As I mentioned above, this was supposed to be a quick run to look for warblers so I had only Z9 + 800PF and Theresa had only her D500 + 500PF. Despite knowing we had the wrong gear, we couldn't pass it up "just for fun. We parked our car at a distance and both shot from the car windows.

Here's a few (1-3) specifically for the "haters", followed by a couple more (4-8) for everyone else.

Disclaimer: These are shared as "fun" shots, taken with the gear that was in my hands at the time.

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    1400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    1100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    1400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 22, 2022 at 08:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

this is me
• • •
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

May 22, 2022 at 02:49 PM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Great Egret on a stick

Z9, 800pf

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    3200 ISO    -1.0 EV  

May 22, 2022 at 04:25 PM
this is me
• • •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Finally getting some color around here.

May 22, 2022 at 09:13 PM
EyeSpyEagle
• • •
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

suteetat wrote:
This would be very nice. Just eye balling it, it looks like 800PF and 400/2.8S use the same foot so whoever comes out with a replacement foot first, I am ready to order 2

This is now coming together. I hope to have a prototype this week. The last model I saw looks really nice. I'll add some pics when I receive the new foot.

Regards,
Phil

May 23, 2022 at 10:56 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

The rain finally stopped and I was able to go out again for some photos.

May 25, 2022 at 07:08 AM
George DeCamp
• • •
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Actually was able to take a nice ride this morning to a place in Charleston for a bit. Here's a couple from the morning.

Z9, 800pf

Barrred Owl in field

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/6.3    1/640s    1800 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Barred Owl in tree

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/6.3    1/640s    1800 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Great Egret family

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    5000 ISO    +1.3 EV  

May 26, 2022 at 03:52 PM
Nikon1960
• • • •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Wood Duck and Duckling(s) in B+W (due to very harsh light).

Decided to take a very different editing approach from my usual.

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/11.0    1/1000s    560 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens    800mm    f/9.0    1/1000s    720 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 29, 2022 at 03:09 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Lenscoat have released their lenscovers for this lens - ordered mine.

Mandarin Duck at 11.22m - 800mm focal length - Z9+800/6.3 at f/6.3 1/6400th ISO 1250

Mandarin Duck at 11.22m 800mm focal length - Z9 800mm f-6.3 1/6400 ISO 1800 11.22m

Mallard Duck at 15.85m 1,120mm focal length Z9 - NIKKOR Z 800mm f-6.3 VR S Z TC-1.4x - ⁄₁₀₀₀ sec at - 9.0 - ISO 3200 - 0 EV _DxO_DeepPRIME

Mandarin Duck at 7.08m 1600mm - Z9 - NIKKOR Z 800mm f-6.3 VR S Z TC-2.0x -⁄₁₆₀₀ sec at - 13 - ISO 2500 - 0 EV

May 29, 2022 at 04:53 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

Shots of a Test Target at 8.4m with the 800mm f/6.3 on a Z9 bare lens and with ZTC14 and ZTC20 -- one version has ISO at 100 and the other used auto ISO.

ISO 100

Auto ISO

Full set of Test Shots

May 29, 2022 at 05:18 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · Official 800PF image and discussion thread

The 800mm f/6.3 has found a solid spot in my bag as a back up to my Z400/2.8TC and allows for unique POV

Set of a seleciton of my shots taken with the 800mm and a Z9

May 29, 2022 at 05:27 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password