Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

mrott

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Any comparisons between the Sigma 16-28 and Panasonic 16-35 for L mount?

Jul 11, 2022 at 06:14 PM
ryanli
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

I've ordered the Sigma 16-28 which means I'll shortly have on my hands the Sigma, the Tamron 17-28, and the Sony 16-35/4 OSS. As a bokeh fetishist I hope to do my usual bokeh comparison. Any other requests?

Aug 08, 2022 at 05:07 PM
ryanli
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Right, here comes a quick comparison/measurbation of the Sigma 16-28 vs Tamron 17-28. YouTube has plenty of excellent comparisons of landscapes and test charts, so I bring you environmental portraits with bokeh, which is what I like shooting most of the time. Apologies for the banal subject matter - putting the kids in the sandpit is the only way I could get them to sit (reasonably) still.

TLDR: Both lenses are really close, neither is "better" than the other; the Sigma appears to be optimised for <=20mm whilst the Tamron is uniformly strong throughout the FL range. Get what you can get your hands on or afford; get the Sigma if the extra 1mm wide angle matters.

Here is the album with crops and full-size samples of the comparison. All shots from A7R III, RAW files processed using Capture One 12 with low sharpening.

16/17mm @ F/2.8 - Sigma top, Tamron bottom
A strong performance from both lenses with fairly inoffensive bokeh on both. I'd give a slight edge to the Sigma for sharpness and contrast, but we're literally splitting hairs here. The 1mm FL advantage on the Sigma is real and potentially very handy.
16-17mm by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma
16mm Sig DSC03825 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Tamron
17mm Tam DSC03834 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

20mm @ F/2.8 - Tamron top, Sigma bottom
I'd give a very slight edge to the Sigma here, see the marginally sharper straw hat with marginally less CA. Sigma has "messier" bokeh but personally I prefer it to the high-contrast and overly structured bokeh on the Tamron.
20mm by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Tamron
20mm Tam DSC03873 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma
20mm Sig DSC03875 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

24mm @ F/2.8, Sigma top, Tamron bottom
This FL appears to be Sigma's weak spot with noticeably hazier details. Bokeh looks awful for both with doughnuts (strong outlines) everywhere, though if I had to pick the least worst it would be the Tamron. Not going to sell my 24GM anytime soon...
24mm by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma
24mm Sig DSC03892 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Tamron
24mm Tam DSC03896 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

28mm @ F/2.8, Tamron top, Sigma bottom
Tamron is again slightly but noticeably superior in terms of sharpness. Sigma has poorer OOF transitions, but Tamron has marginally more LOCA in OOF areas (though again both have less than ideal doughnut bokeh). I'd give a win to the Tamron overall.
28mm by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Tamron
28mm Tam DSC03818 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma
28 Sig DSC03821 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Aug 12, 2022 at 06:51 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Very useful comparison, thanks for that! Looks to my eyes that a good deal on a used Tamron 17-28 is a good deal indeed.

Dave

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:21 PM
ryanli
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Dave Sanders wrote:
Very useful comparison, thanks for that! Looks to my eyes that a good deal on a used Tamron 17-28 is a good deal indeed.

Dave

Indeed. My dilemma is which one to keep and which to sell, since both are fantastic lenses. Having watched the Dustin Abbott video comparison again, my findings and conclusions essentially confirm his: both lenses are fantastic, the Tamron has a slight but visible edge with respect to IQ between 24-28mm, the Tamron has slightly less distracting bokeh, the Sigma has objective advantages in terms of zoom range and an AF/MF button.

I really want to like the Sigma more as it is newer and sexier (or "psychologically more exciting" as Pav SZ the YouTuber describes it), but the mind says Tamron as it is a heck of a deal at current used prices. I'll probably settle for the Sigma, and justify it in that I anticipate using it mostly at the 16-20mm end and I have a 24GM for more demanding 24mm applications, but the 16-28 is decent enough for snapshot use.

One more 24mm sample from the Sigma followed by Tamron, note the latter is sharper, more contrasty, and noticeably a less busy lavender background:
Sigma DSC04035 by Ryan Li, on Flickr
Tamron DSC04036 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 15, 2022 at 05:22 AM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2022 at 04:06 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Wonder how long before we see a G2 17-28 from Tamron. I have the button on my G2 28-75 setup so if you hold it in for 2 seconds it switches between AF and MF.

We're in lensvana now a-days.

Aug 14, 2022 at 07:18 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Yeah I wasn't anticipating the bokeh win for the Tamron, but those two photos demonstrate that quite clearly. The new Sony 16-36/4 is of interest to me as well, but the Tamron can be found in Vancouver in the $800-900 CDN range. Food for thought!

Aug 14, 2022 at 07:19 PM
Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

tsdevine wrote:
Wonder how long before we see a G2 17-28 from Tamron. I have the button on my G2 28-75 setup so if you hold it in for 2 seconds it switches between AF and MF.

We're in lensvana now a-days.

Yeah, I think we really are. For someone like me, decisions are interestingly fraught because one can compare, debate and argue minute differences in any number of categories. A good problem to have. I think if you told me even 5 years ago that I'd have so many superlative lenses to choose from, I likely wouldn't have believed.

I mean...all that said...still no 28mm...so maybe the Tamron is the substitute until one arrives

If one ever does...

Aug 14, 2022 at 07:22 PM
mjk115
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

For me, a lens like this is about the wide end. I have the Sigma, and I had the Tamron. The FOV difference is very noticeable, as in examples above (Thank you, ryanli). The 16 end is why I bought the Sigma, and that's where the lens is at its best. The bokeh can be distracting at mid distance, but it can be softened in post, and honestly, I shoot it far more at f8 than I do F2.8. I think Sigma has gone for different objectives with their 2 C F2.8 zooms. The 28-70, which I also have, is all about rendering, with really nice bokeh for a zoom. It's for taking pictures of people. The 16-28 is about resolution and detail and getting it all in focus. I find them to be an excellent pair. I love the fixed size of the 16-28, and I would say it's more than good enough for my uses on the longer end, and excellent at the wide end.

Aug 14, 2022 at 08:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dave Sanders
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Very interesting counterpoint. I think you're right about Sigma's design brief being different for their two C zooms.

Again, choice is a good thing, though you're not making this easier...

Aug 14, 2022 at 08:18 PM
ryanli
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

mjk115 wrote:
For me, a lens like this is about the wide end. I have the Sigma, and I had the Tamron. The FOV difference is very noticeable, as in examples above (Thank you, ryanli). The 16 end is why I bought the Sigma, and that's where the lens is at its best. The bokeh can be distracting at mid distance, but it can be softened in post, and honestly, I shoot it far more at f8 than I do F2.8. I think Sigma has gone for different objectives with their 2 C F2.8 zooms. The 28-70, which I also have, is
...Show more

Thanks, great to hear from folk like you who've "been there and done it" switching from Tamron to Sigma, and I think your analysis is sound. On the Tamron side, I'd say that the Tamron 17-28 renders quite similarly to the Tamron 28-75 G1, with very high contrast and achingly sharp details, but decidedly superior bokeh (@Dave Sanders I too was pleasantly surprised).

And to those who are expecting a Tamron 17-28 G2, it looks like Tamron is going to give us something even better...!!? https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-tamron-will-announce-a-fast-wide-angle-zoom-this-week/

Aug 15, 2022 at 05:20 AM
mjk115
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

ryanli wrote:
And to those who are expecting a Tamron 17-28 G2, it looks like Tamron is going to give us something even better...!!? https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-tamron-will-announce-a-fast-wide-angle-zoom-this-week/

Maybe a new version of their 15-30F2.8. That would be smart and enticing, depending on the size.

Aug 15, 2022 at 05:46 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

ryanli wrote:
Thanks, great to hear from folk like you who've "been there and done it" switching from Tamron to Sigma, and I think your analysis is sound. On the Tamron side, I'd say that the Tamron 17-28 renders quite similarly to the Tamron 28-75 G1, with very high contrast and achingly sharp details, but decidedly superior bokeh (@Dave Sanders I too was pleasantly surprised).

That's what I'm waiting for - I kinda hope it might be even a bit wider (like Canon's RF offering), maybe at the cost of aperture. I was surprised Tamron announced 50-400 first, let's hope this rumor is true for a perfect complement to 35-150 .
I was recently wondering about giving up my Sigma 14-24, as I would use 35mm on the long end a lot more than I'm currently using that extra 2-3mm on the wide end...

Aug 15, 2022 at 05:46 AM
mjk115
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Hmm... Looks like Tamron is going the other way with a 20-40F2.8. https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-first-image-of-the-new-tamron-20-40mm-f-2-8-di-iii-vxd-lens/#disqus_thread

Aug 17, 2022 at 01:51 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

mjk115 wrote:
Hmm... Looks like Tamron is going the other way with a 20-40F2.8. https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-first-image-of-the-new-tamron-20-40mm-f-2-8-di-iii-vxd-lens/#disqus_thread

That's a bummer (better for my wallet though) .

Aug 17, 2022 at 01:59 PM
ryanli
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

I managed to obtain a 2nd copy of the Sigma 16-28 and on initial testing it appears to be even better than my 1st copy at 24mm and 28mm. I'll test further and report back.

Dec 30, 2022 at 02:59 AM
ryanli
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Apologies for a wooden fence test but I needed to know primarily that my new copy of the Sigma 16-28 has superior sharpness to my old copy, which I am happy to report it is at all focal lengths, particularly at 24 and 28mm. For fun I also compared the 16-28 to two lenses that I had at hand, the Sony 24-70/2.8 GM and 24/1.4 GM. All test shots on tripod, self-timer set to 2s, AF-S, best of 3 shots.

24mm: At 24mm F/2.8, its centre sharpness is OK but decidedly pedestrian compared against the 24-70GM and even the 24GM at F/1.4 - interesting that the 24-70GM has bags of contrast whilst the GM renders details with a more subtle microcontrast - and unsurprisingly the 24GM at F/2.8 trounces everything else. However corner sharpness is actually decent for the 16-28, on par with if not better than the comparators.

28mm: Centre sharpness seems to be a little bit better at 28mm than at 24mm, and stopping down to F/4 significantly improves sharpness and contrast across the board. Surprisingly the 16-28mm is on par with (actually marginally better) than the 24-70GM at 28mm both in centre and corners.

Overall, for my use case - casual snapshots and portraits, street photography, travel, mostly wide open or one stop down with a relatively small proportion of pure landscape shots - my new copy of the Sigma 16-28 has just made me like it even more. I would still say 24mm is not its strongest suit compared to at 16 or 20mm and especially given such stellar performance in competing lenses, but I am much confident to use it now.

I had recently been toying with replacing the 16-28 with a Tamron 20-40 as a walkaround lens but ultimately think I would miss the 16-19mm range too much. Might wait for the Sony 20-70/4 G to come out and buy that as a complementary lens to the 16-28.

24mm
Sigma 16-28 24 2.8 Fit by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma 16-28 24 2.8 Centre by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma 16-28 24 2.8 Corner Topleft by Ryan Li, on Flickr

28mm
Sigma 16-28 28 Fit by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma 16-28 28 Centre by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Sigma 16-28 28 Corner BottomLeft by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Dec 30, 2022 at 08:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.