Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Newenglandrocks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Can you elaborate on your point regarding the 20G?

I sold my 16-35Z last year due to lack of use, and I love the 20G. And I bought the 14GM at the beginning of the year. For astrolandscapes, these are far better lenses than the Tamron or Sigma WA zooms.

But for other types of shooting, I sometimes wonder whether I should get a fast WA zoom. I use the 20G a lot and never find myself wanting a zoom in its place. I sometimes want to go wider, but the 14GM scratches that itch. Again, just wondering why you like the 20G more than the Tamron zoom. FYI - I am trying to decide between a fast zoom and the 24GM

SpecFoto wrote:
Agreeing with what @jwpsti said above.

4 of my main Sony primes are 67mm filter thread and so it the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 DC DN. Yet this new Sigma 16-28 DC DN zoom is 72mm filter thread and this alone would make it a no go for me. Had the Tamron 17-28 but traded up to the Sony 20G and glad I did. The 3 Tamron f2.8 zooms for Sony are all 67mm filter thread, don't know why Sigma doesn't consider this in their design series lenses, instead lenses in the same style are just a few mm off from
...Show more

Jun 01, 2022 at 12:39 PM
swldstn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

On the new Sigma I may jump in for my small travel kit on Sony E mount to pair it with the 28-70/2.8 DG DN Contemporary I bought used. Really like the size and weight. Also have based some of the primes on the ISeries Contemporary f/2 which I enjoy. My larger kit is based on the GM primes/zooms and its nice to have both options.

Jun 01, 2022 at 12:47 PM
SpecFoto
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Newenglandrocks wrote:
Can you elaborate on your point regarding the 20G?

When I had the A7III I Used the Tamron 17-28 and it is a very good lens. But when I got the A7RIV last year I went with the Sony 20G. I like primes and always had a 20mm lens, and this one is excellent. It is fast enough for astro, sharp, a very good size and takes standard screw-on filters. The extra MP of the RIV allow me to do quick 2 or 3 shot pano and stitch together if I want a wider photo than the 20 provides, and my CV 15mm has been sitting idle for about a year for this reason.

Jun 01, 2022 at 01:08 PM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

mjk115 wrote:
Yes, a better lens optically for sure, but that big bulbous front element and the weight and the price are too much for me. The new Sigma seems to be aimed directly at the Tamron, and the 1mm on the wide end may get me to sell my z16-35.

Been watching some initial video reviews, one from a Tom Carlton compared it to the Sigma 14-24. He claims they are both on par in sharpness.

And waiting to see what Tamron does in response. I'm sure they may be working on a G2 version of the 17-28. Also want to add that Dustin Abbott's review comes out Friday. He responded to a post on the International Photo Group Facebook page.

Jun 01, 2022 at 02:11 PM
Immortal
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

I'm not even sure that Tamron is doing v2 of its 17-28, we asume they will do it but that's just a maybe or not at this point.

Anyways it all depends what do you prefer or value more. This Sigma has some really strong points but also have some weaknesses. Pretty much like any lens. Thou i really scratch my head about the filter size for this lens, it makes no sense when its obvious you would want to pair this lens with Sigma other zoom - 28-70/F2.8. Tamron did it right.

For me since i don't care for the 350 grams more weight (nor the front filters) and the price is so close here i would take Sigma 14-24/F2.8 if i were buying a WA lens now.

In the and end - it's good to have choices and Sony FE for sure gives you a lot of them.

Jun 01, 2022 at 03:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Now available for pre-order:

B&H Photol | Adorama

Sigma 16-28mm F/2.8 DG DN Official Specs:
  1. Focal Length 16 to 28mm
  2. Maximum Aperture f/2.8
  3. Minimum Aperture f/22
  4. Lens Mount Sony E
  5. Lens Format Coverage Full-Frame
  6. Angle of View 107 to 75.4
  7. Minimum Focus Distance 9.8" / 25 cm
  8. Macro Reproduction Ratio 1:5.6
  9. Optical Design 16 Elements in 11 Groups
  10. Diaphragm Blades 9, Rounded
  11. Focus Type Autofocus
  12. Image Stabilization No
  13. Filter Size 72 mm (Front)
  14. Dimensions ( x L) 3 x 4" / 77.2 x 102.6 mm
  15. Weight 15.9 oz / 450 g

Jun 01, 2022 at 04:09 PM
Chuck Coyne
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

This Sigma 16-28 DG DN looks like a great lighter weight WA zoom option. I have both the 16-35 GM and the 12-24 GM zooms. I'm really wanting to get a lighter setup for hiking and landscape work. I don't want to give up too much on image quality but do want to lighten the load. I also have the Sony 14 GM and 20 G lenses which I primarily use for night and astro shooting.

The filter size going to 72mm is not a deal breaker for me. I use the Kase Magnetic Filter system and use step up rings from 82 mm to 67 mm, 72 mm, and 77 mm without any problem.

I would like to see the Sigma 16-28 DG DN in a good head to head shoot out with the new Sony 16-35 PZ lens.

Jun 01, 2022 at 07:37 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

The senors are so good I'm still leaning towards the new Sony 16-35 f4. And 100 grams lighter.

Jun 01, 2022 at 07:54 PM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Immortal wrote:
I'm not even sure that Tamron is doing v2 of its 17-28, we asume they will do it but that's just a maybe or not at this point.

Anyways it all depends what do you prefer or value more. This Sigma has some really strong points but also have some weaknesses. Pretty much like any lens. Thou i really scratch my head about the filter size for this lens, it makes no sense when its obvious you would want to pair this lens with Sigma other zoom - 28-70/F2.8. Tamron did it right.

For me since i don't care for the 350
...Show more

It's all speculation of course on the Tamron v2 of the 17-28. You know how rumors can be! Even SAR hasn't rumored one yet, but would make sense since Tamron updated the 28-75 f2.8.

And from what I'm seeing on Youtube, some have brought up that same exact point about the filter size. You would think Sigma learned from what Tamron did.

I rented the Sigma 14-24 f2.8 for a camping/landscape trip last year. Nice lens for sure but in some places we went I wished for something a little smaller and lighter. Like in Wire Pass and Cutler Point in Utah. Especially Cutler Point! Two steps up, one back climbing up a steep incline with thick loose sand to the amphitheater.

But being on a limited income, I would choose the new Sigma 16-28. But that all depends on more reviews.

Jun 02, 2022 at 07:10 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Hrm, was interested in it as an alternative option to the Panasonic 16-35 f/4, but only 50g weight savings, and don't need f/2.8 in a landscape zoom.. might be a good option for those people shooing indoors with it.

Jun 02, 2022 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Immortal
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Dustin Abbott review:

From his review this lens isn't really better than the Tamron 17-28 mm.

Jun 03, 2022 at 07:10 PM
mjk115
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Immortal wrote:
From his review this lens isn't really better than the Tamron 17-28 mm.

But neither is it worse, and it is significantly wider and even a hair longer in his own testing.

Jun 03, 2022 at 08:56 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

mjk115 wrote:
But neither is it worse, and it is significantly wider and even a hair longer in his own testing.

I've got the Tamron. I have the feeling the comparisons with the Tamron would be more important to a new buyer. I'm interested but it seems unlikely the differences will be so great as tempt me to change. I also expect it may take some time to sort out the differences/reviewers.

Jun 03, 2022 at 09:25 PM
mjk115
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Craig Gillette wrote:
I've got the Tamron. I have the feeling the comparisons with the Tamron would be more important to a new buyer. I'm interested but it seems unlikely the differences will be so great as tempt me to change. I also expect it may take some time to sort out the differences/reviewers.

Agreed. I don't think people will switch from the Tamron. I don't have the Tam though, because I found its range felt slightly limiting. I have a zeiss 16-35 F4, but might be tempted by the lighter, faster Sigma, if I at least get to keep the wide end.

Jun 03, 2022 at 10:48 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

I wondered about the focal length range. That, price, size and aperture. Not necessarily in that order/priority. But it works for me. Also I'm using it on an A7Riv and likely to have a mid-range along or readily available so cropping would be more a possibility than a necessity.

Jun 04, 2022 at 12:12 AM
offtraildog
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

I think this is a great option to complete my A7C zoom kit. Had the T 17-28 and sold it. Currently using CV 15, 20G, Sigma 24/3.5. 2.8 is fast enough for my casual shooting with the A7C.
I prefer larger lenses like the 16-35GM on my A74 and not interested in a 14-XX with a bulbous front element

Jun 04, 2022 at 12:46 AM
nick williams
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Another great lens from Sigma, shame it's not a bit wider 15 or 14 would have been nice or longer 35mm. Im not sure I will give up my 16-35gm but if this had been out when I got the GM I would have considered it. Hopefully a smaller lighter and sharper GM is on it's way.

Jun 04, 2022 at 02:36 AM
Immortal
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

mjk115 wrote:

It's give and take like Dustin said, Sigma is wider by 1 mm but has way worse distortion and vignette. It all depends what you vaule more. Anyway, i guess i expected a bit more from Sigma given that Tamron lens is like already over 2 years old now.

Jun 04, 2022 at 06:27 AM
ryanli
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Here's another YouTube comparison in Cantonese Chinese (no English subtitles unfortunately), and the reviewer claims a slight but evident advantage to the Sigma in sharpness, CA, and AF speed. It concurs with other reviews that the Sigma has somewhat worse distortion and vignetting.
https://youtu.be/LU_Mni3agag

From these early comparisons, my own conclusion would be that it's a wash - give or take as some say, the 1mm FOV difference is real, the Tamron has an objective advantage in weather proofing but lacks the internal zoom of the Sigma. RRP should be around the same in Europe but the Tamron is a proven and widely available choice including at substantial discount from grey importers.

I am currently putting up with a Sony 16-35/4, but would be very happy to swap it for a Tamron if one comes along on eBay at a good price or once Hong Kong grey importers start getting their hands on the Sigma.

Immortal wrote:
It's give and take like Dustin said, Sigma is wider by 1 mm but has way worse distortion and vignette. It all depends what you vaule more. Anyway, i guess i expected a bit more from Sigma given that Tamron lens is like already over 2 years old now.

Jun 04, 2022 at 07:24 AM
Blueshound
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

I'm holding out to see how the upcoming FE PZ 16-35 tests against things such as the Sigma, and most importantly for me, how it will compare to my FE 12-24/4, which is still my go-to for a wide zoom for travel.

The Sony would have the benefit of reaching 35mm at the long end, which I'd value. And, although it's great to have from 12 - 15mm, I could give that up for significantly reduced weight.

Brian

Jun 04, 2022 at 11:32 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password