Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

power6417

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

how good is 2x or 1.4x teleconverter in terms of af performance for x series?
2x on 50-140mm vs 100-400mm alone

longer reach for 100-400? or versatility with a brighter aperture?

Apr 13, 2022 at 09:48 PM
bastibe

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

The 2x requires resolution. At the long end, by all accounts, the 100-400 and 70-300 can not deliver enough resolution for the 2x, but probably OK for the 50-140.

But if you back off from the longest extreme, even the 70-300 plays well with the 2x.

Of course AF and ISO are severely limited by the amount of light still available with a 2 EV reduction in light.

The 1.4x is a better trade off in that regard, but of course with less magnification.

Apr 14, 2022 at 05:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

bastibe wrote:
The 2x requires resolution. At the long end, by all accounts, the 100-400 and 70-300 can not deliver enough resolution for the 2x, but probably OK for the 50-140.

The 2x teleconverter actually works very well with the XF 100-400 - no noticeable loss of sharpness.

(processed in LR with default sharpening automatically applied)

Apr 14, 2022 at 01:06 PM
gaopa
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

I use a Fuji 1.4x on my Fuji 70-300 which is mounted on an X-T3 body. I love it! I see no loss of image quality. I have not used a 2X so I cannot say anything about that converter.

Apr 26, 2022 at 03:25 PM
MalcolmBird888

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

My experience with teleconverters (2x and 50-140) mostly, is that margin for error becomes less forgiving. More needs to go 'right' to get a great shot. In the end, you are able to crop less at the same resolution, which reduces the advantage of the extra organic reach.

Recently, anti-tc sentiment seems to prevail, which perhaps explains two TCs having been up for sale for months. Though that may be seasonal.

Some youtubers argue/demonstrate cropping in post produces nearly equal IQ as provided by the 1.4x.

May 15, 2022 at 12:39 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · how good is 2x or 1.4x tele converter?

MalcolmBird888 wrote:
My experience with teleconverters (2x and 50-140) mostly, is that margin for error becomes less forgiving. More needs to go 'right' to get a great shot. In the end, you are able to crop less at the same resolution, which reduces the advantage of the extra organic reach.

My personal experience is that the XF 50-140 performs poorly with either of the Fuji teleconverters.

Recently, anti-tc sentiment seems to prevail, which perhaps explains two TCs having been up for sale for months. Though that may be seasonal.

I think that's mostly due to ignorance and/or poor technique. The only impediment to using the Fuji teleconverters is the amount of light you lose - trivial if it's a sunny day, but definitely a problem on those dreary west coast winter days.

Some youtubers argue/demonstrate cropping in post produces nearly equal IQ as provided by the 1.4x.

Proof only that there are some incredibly stupid people posting to YouTube, and little else.

You can always crop the image taken with the 1.4x exactly the same amount as the image taken without the TC, and assuming you've used good technique the worst-case scenario is the image quality will be exactly the same.

Jun 01, 2022 at 10:13 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.