Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities ...

jbledsoe
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities coming up

If you're looking for something to do this spring, totally flexible, and never been to Crater Lake National Park in the winter it's looking like there's an epic photo op coming up.

We're currently in the middle of a winter storm that is dumping feet of snow in the cascades so they are getting hammered. Sure the road to the rim is currently closed, however they got a 6wk early start to the north rim plowing which means you can walk or bicycle (no vehicles) from the rim visitors center to the north entrance. If you were not aware, yes you can drive to the rim in the winter. It's generally open except during and immediately following heavy snows as the rotary prioritizes other roads before the road to the rim, mainly hywy 62. You can only access via the southern entrance in the winter so the closest lodging is Fort Klamath.

Anyhow when this storm breaks and they open the road to the rim (best to call as in my experience they are slow to update the web page), you'll not only have lots of nice deep untracked snow but another six miles of rim you can access easier than normal winter time (skis or snowshoes). Granted you'll still want snowshoes to get around as while the base is likely solid enough to walk on by now, all the new snow will make going more questionable.

Here's a couple links to help.
https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/conditions.htm#recreation_map_showing_current_conditions

https://www.nps.gov/crla/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

I've went in winter several times and it's an amazing experience. Completely different than summer and early fall. Just remember, it's still winter up there so gear up accordingly.

Of course if you haven't been in the summer, you've been missing out. Just try to work around the fires (smoke/haze) for best photo ops. There again, immediately following a storm is advantageous.

-- Jeff

P.S. sadly I'm far too busy at work to go. I was looking at the conditions and wishing I could, then thought well... I can share the info.

Apr 12, 2022 at 01:58 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities coming up

Thanks for sharing the information. Good to know.

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:00 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities coming up

On the Crater Lake alerts page:

Thursday, April 14, 10:00 am - The road to Rim Village has been closed since Sunday due to heavy snowfall (6 feet of snow). At this time, we have no idea when it will reopen. Definitely not today. Possibly by the weekend, but possibly not until next week.

Anyone who wants to get up there as soon as the road is open should definitely bring skis or snowshoes

Apr 14, 2022 at 02:17 PM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities coming up

CLNP used to get snow in every month of the year. Not sure if that's still the case.

Apr 21, 2022 at 09:19 PM
flapjack

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities coming up

I was there a few years ago during the summer, and I found it incredibly difficult to capture the vastness and beauty of that lake. I would love to try again one day.

Apr 27, 2022 at 09:15 AM
BidinTime
• •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Crater Lake National Park (USA) - excellent photo/viewing opportunities coming up

flapjack wrote:
I was there a few years ago during the summer, and I found it incredibly difficult to capture the vastness and beauty of that lake. I would love to try again one day.

I'd say it's impossible to do that!
Taking a ride on the lake is incredible. That's how you get a sense of its grandeur, more so than from the rim.

Apr 27, 2022 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.