New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Continuous Light Source Option

RoyCh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Continuous Light Source Option

Hello friends and fellow photographers

I hope this is the right section to post my question.

I was wondering whether cheap LED bulbs of 28W (cost around $4 in my country) can be a good cost-effective solution for small product photography, providing a large white diffuser is used in front of the light bulb? If possible, this should provide an excellent and easy WYSIWYG solution. I understand that one may need to fix the WB in PP if an LED bulb is used.

Hopefully experienced members can shed some light on this idea.

Thank you all.

Apr 11, 2022 at 02:37 AM
jlafferty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Continuous Light Source Option

Looking to save money, you've got two challenges: output and color quality.

Output: 28w is far too little. Savage makes Edison style LEDs that sell for around $50, and they are 50-65w IIRC. This is baaaaaarely enough to work with. You really want your baseline to be closer to 120-150w, and at 300w things really start to get manageable.

edit: just saw you're doing tabletop still life - you can get by fine with 60w, and 150w offers a lot of freedom. But I wouldn't to anything with less than 60w. Both Godox and Nanlite offer reasonably priced 60w LEDs.

Color quality: you need a CRI and TLCI of at least 96. Closer to 98 is ideal. Anything over 98 is the dream. It's not simply a matter of correcting for the proper white balance, it's about how full the spectrum of light emitted is, and in turn, how accurate and pleasing light reflecting off a surface (e.g. human skin) looks to the eye. If the spectrum is narrow or broken, is below 95 TLCI, you'll get washed out, hollow looking objects.

https://www.waveformlighting.com/tech/what-is-cri-color-rendering-index

https://www.ledrise.eu/blog/cri-explained-lr/

Apr 11, 2022 at 08:59 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Continuous Light Source Option

Small continuous lights, be they LED or filament type don't put out much light for photography needs.
I have no idea what you are trying to light, but this is my experience.

I have a 19' X 26' shooting room in my studio. I manage to do both still and video work in this room.
2 1/2 years ago I purchased three GVM 480 LS LED light panels for lighting a 2' cube spring wire translucent light tent for still photographing small items. They did this job quite well with one LED light panel on each side of the tent and one above. Each of these panels has 480 LEDs and each is rated for about 30 watts of power.

When setting up my studio for video work I wanted to use the same or similar lights to provide the needed shadow free light (like a TV NEWS Stage) over an area of about 2/3 of my shooting room, sufficient to make short videos (infomercials) of 1-2 people seated or standing around an 8' long banquet table demonstrating some health food products. I ended up with 8 of these GVM LED 480 LS light panels attached to a ceiling mounted lighting support grid in a wide leg "U" shape to surround the area, and the light is just barely adequate for this use (3780 separate LEDs total and 240 watts total).
I've also adjusted all of them for about 5600 K. and nearly their MAX output.

Still photos are possible in this light, but I far prefer studio strobes with soft boxes or umbrellas at lower ISO speeds and F-stops. Portraits are far better when some shadowing is involved, and I can still do this easier using the more traditional approach. Continuous light would be great for portraits if they worked with soft boxes and umbrellas if they had more power. The high power LEDs intended to work for this just do not do the job well at reasonable prices and sizes. Strobes are much more economical today. Of course, anything is possible, if you have a fat enough wallet. I don't. Maybe some day in the future small high wattage LED lights that will work with soft boxes and umbrellas and produce enough light to be equal to what can be produced with strobes and soft boxes at more reasonable pricing will become available, and I'll buy them. Today, if such even exists, they are priced way above my studio budget. What exists today at less than $400 each is no where near adequate for what I do.

Charley

Apr 11, 2022 at 09:27 AM
ian watstein
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Continuous Light Source Option

Cause these things aren't confusing enough, a counter-point to the above thoughts:
Given that you are shooting unmoving objects, the light output isn't really a consideration, given the following: you can alway lower your shutter speed to anything you need as your objects don't move. That said, you need a good tripod (assume you already have one) and if you aren't using mirrorless, may want to shoot in mirror lock-up with a trigger to avoid any possible camera shake from pressing the trigger or the mirror moving in/out of line. Also, you will need to control the ambient light a lot more, likely shooting in a dark space, to make sure the light itself is the only source of light hitting your products... if you can deal with those two issues, light power is largely irrelevant and you might even be able to find some 60w incandescent bulbs and not work about CRI at all... else make sure your lights have as high a CRI as you can find.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:06 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Continuous Light Source Option

A further counterpoint is using strobes. You gain WYSIWYG thanks to the modelling light, the CRI is 100, and you can eliminate the cost of a good tripod (xenon flash freezes action AND camera shake).

Apr 11, 2022 at 07:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Continuous Light Source Option

I am a fan of the Kino Flo system, I have an old 201 Diva kit that just keeps going and I also have a Profoto Acute2 kit that simply works. I think that it's all about the quality of light and dependability.

Apr 13, 2022 at 02:43 PM
RoyCh

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Continuous Light Source Option

In the meantime, I have come to know about a small light setup for about US $40 available in my local market. It includes two C-stands, two umbrellas/small softboxes and two halogens. Would you advise for it? I have not seen it myself yet, I expect to get more details in a day or two. The light sources have specific Kelvin temperatures though I can not guarantee the constancy.

There is one more light setup I have come across an inexpensive continuous light setup, the details are as follows:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09X39CFWV?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_2EM6HC2RR3TA0FBSVP73

What is your opinion about this? The manufacturer is claiming that the lights have CRI >=95%. I am not sure how can use a diffuser/light modifier with these flat panel lights!

Regarding the LED bulbs that I first thought about, I have checked the PHILIPS website for details. PHILIPS is claiming that their 20W bulbs have CRI>=90%, though I could not find this specific bit of information while browsing the specification detail about the LED bulbs.

Thank you again.

Apr 17, 2022 at 09:22 AM
exdeejjjaaaa
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Continuous Light Source Option

RoyCh wrote:
Regarding the LED bulbs that I first thought about, I have checked the PHILIPS website for details. PHILIPS is claiming that their 20W bulbs have CRI>=90%, though I could not find this specific bit of information while browsing the specification detail about the LED bulbs.

Thank you again.

if there is no spectral graph provided for the LED light = it is a garbage... that's it... and "> 90%" means you do not need even to try to find its specs, because manufacturer already says it is a garbage... now when you see "96%" or "97%" or "98%" for a LED light it makes sense to find its actual specs, because if ~"true" (there are always manufacturing variances) then manufacturer will be proud to have the measurements available ... and no - they are not sold for $4 so far...

Apr 21, 2022 at 09:19 PM
RoyCh

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Continuous Light Source Option

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:
if there is no spectral graph provided for the LED light = it is a garbage... that's it... and "> 90%" means you do not need even to try to find its specs, because manufacturer already says it is a garbage... now when you see "96%" or "97%" or "98%" for a LED light it makes sense to find its actual specs, because if ~"true" (there are always manufacturing variances) then manufacturer will be proud to have the measurements available ... and no - they are not sold for $4 so far...

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. Could you suggest an inexpensive lightning setup to start with? I already have the SB600 Speedlight. I am thinking about one light+softbox+reflector setup for food photography.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password