New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

adittam
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

I'll be visiting Hawaii for 2 weeks this August, with 3 days on O'ahu, a week on Maui, and 5 days on the Big Island. The trip will be a family vacation, but I'll also have my kit with me and plan to have lots of time for photos as well. Looking for recommendations for specific locations I should make sure not to miss while I'm there. Interested in both iconic spots as well as lesser known locations. I know many photogs here look down on the iconic locations because of crowds and over-shooting, but I've never been before, and don't know when I'll have an opportunity to return, so I don't have a problem with hitting them...in my view, they're iconic for a reason, and I'd like to experience them also.

We will most likely NOT be renting a car on O'ahu, but will definitely have a car on both Maui and the Big Island. We are staying in Honolulu on O'ahu, in Kahana on Maui, and 3 nights in Pahoa followed by 2 nights in Kamuela on the Big Island.

My main interest is in landscapes of all sorts as well as a milky way landscape or two at night. I'm tentatively planning on traveling with my R5 and the following RF lenses: 15-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8, but might leave either the 24-70 or 70-200 home...advice on that decision would be useful also.

Thank you!
Matt

Edited on Apr 04, 2022 at 01:57 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2022 at 01:47 PM
adittam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

Almost forgot...I'm also looking at picking up a action camera for snorkeling photos, so if anyone has a strong opinion on the DJI Osmo vs a GoPro, feel free to chime in as well!

Apr 04, 2022 at 01:52 PM
bflood
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

Some ideas ....

First, get travel insurance. The move to relax restrictions might well result in an upswing in virus cases (it has in other countries), and may lead to re-imposing restrictions. Insurance to cover any commitment that can't be cancelled certainly seems like a good idea. Be sure to get in writing (print?) and understand your hotel cancellation policies.

In the tropics, the easterly winds blow all year round, and make the eastern side of each island the rainy side. The western side should have sunnier weather in August.

Also, weather in the Pacific is the cause of the surf. In winter, the storms to the north generate the big swells that result in the famous huge waves on the north shore of Oahu. However, in August, you can expect the surf at the Banzai Pipeline and Sunset Beach to be roughly equal to the pool in my backyard. In the summer, the Pacific storms move much farther north, so the swells come up from the south and will be smaller. So the best surfing while you will be there will be at beaches on the south and southeast sides of the islands.

Maui - there are nice hotels along the west coast north of Lahaina, which includes your hotel location. The famous Road to Hana has hundreds of corners in around 40 miles, a number of waterfalls that may have swimmers, and good coastal views. We found one and only one restaurant with a very long waiting list in Hana in 2014. We found a hot dog stand on the beach and ate there. Be cautious driving back in the afternoon. Lots of people who live in Hana work in the Kahului area, and will be driving home at speeds that can be quite frightening (they drive like they own the corners). Expect a drive to Hana and back to use up a full day. In Lahaina, there's a "submarine" ride over a nice reef. The boat doesn't submerge, but has window seats below the surface. It's an entertaining ride and will probably be a memorable experience for kids, but it's not great for photo ops.

We didn't do much on the Big Island - my wife wanted to stay at a "destination resort" on one of the islands, so we stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa and didn't see much else in those three days.

Oahu is interesting. The beach at Waikiki was busy with lots of surfers, but we were there in July just before kids went back to school. The surf may not be as busy on weekdays in August. The shape of the bottom at Waikiki makes the waves rise and break rather far out from the sandy shore - my 300 mm was inadequate for getting surfer shots I liked. The Arizona Memorial is unique (we arranged a shuttle through our hotel). The battleship Missouri is docked near the AZ Memorial on battleship row on Ford Island - the surrender was signed on the Missouri. So the ship and the AZ Memorial are the start and end of WWII. The northeast side of the island is not tourist country - it's local residential, but it's beautiful, with an abundance of kids playing the surf, an interesting shoreline, etc. You'd need a rental car to see it, though.

Apr 04, 2022 at 10:20 PM
adittam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

Thanks for all of the info!

Looking into travel insurance this week. The insurance that was offered through the airline when I booked our flights was very specific that it does NOT provide coverage for changing local travel restrictions, it only covers Covid if one of us actually gets it and prevents us from traveling.

For what it's worth, we're staying in all airbnb's and vrbo's, no hotels.

Apr 04, 2022 at 11:07 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

I am only familiar with the Big Island having stayed in Hilo for 3 weeks each on a couple of trips. I am big on photographing flowers and botanicals. I spent hours in the Akatsuka Orchid gardens east of Volcano NP. I also spent days at the Hawaii Tropical Gardens north of Hilo.

Sorry, I don't do iconic.

Apr 05, 2022 at 10:46 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

I was in the Big Island back in November. I wasn't sure what to think but it was pretty incredible.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is obviously iconic, but two days there is enough to see most of it if you do not go up to Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea. If you are very lucky, you might even get to see the ongoing eruption of Kilauea (if it is still happening).

The weather in this area is very unpredictable. In November, it was rainy and cloudy most of the time. Occasionally the sun would come out. But usually it was drizzling and foggy. But I did not mind. The fog created a really beautiful atmosphere to my photos. You kind of have to take what you get when you're in some of these places. Unless you visit often you can't wait around for the perfect shot.

Driving through the old lava fields is a real treat as well. The photographic opportunities are...unique. Requires you to use some imagination because everything is so flat. You can also drive down Route 11 from Volcanoes National Park toward the south point of the Island if you are a fan of lookouts.

We also visited the Wailuku State Park in Hilo. It was an interesting detour with some cool waterfalls and a small lush trail. Worth a stop if you are in the town.

We stayed for a few days 10 minutes drive south of Pahoa, in Kahena. These towns definitely have more of a hippy, rainforest vibe compared to what I had seen on Oahu and the more touristic islands. Much smaller towns less frequented by tourists. If you can spend some time at the Kahena Black Sand Beach you are in for a treat, especially around sunset, when the tides rise.

I would also take some time to visit some of the coffee plantations, many of which offer tours where you can take pictures and buy some excellent, locally grown and roasted coffee.

When we were in car, driving for long distances around the island we listened to an audio guide called Shaka Guide. I know it sounds corny but it was actually great. You download it on your phone and it uses your GPS to give you turn by turn directions for points of interest and historical tidbits, stories, local myths, etc etc. Great for if you have kids as well.

Apr 05, 2022 at 06:45 PM
adittam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hawaii recommendations - O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island

mdude85 wrote:
I was in the Big Island back in November. I wasn't sure what to think but it was pretty incredible.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is obviously iconic, but two days there is enough to see most of it if you do not go up to Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea. If you are very lucky, you might even get to see the ongoing eruption of Kilauea (if it is still happening).

The weather in this area is very unpredictable. In November, it was rainy and cloudy most of the time. Occasionally the sun would come out. But usually it was
...Show more

EXACTLY the type of tips I am looking for. Thank you!

Apr 11, 2022 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.