Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolut...

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

Your comments on the R3

Apr 01, 2022 at 11:02 PM
fgphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

Herb, there has been a discussion about this over on the Canon Community forums that suggest this is caused somehow by having GPS on in mode 2.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-EOS-R3-Freeze-up-Issue-The-likely-cause/m-p/364292/page/2

I have been having the lockup issue with both of my R3's and I did have the GPS on in mode 2. I turned it off and have not had a lockup since (fingers crossed that my success with no lockups will continue).

I have also reached out to Canon to let them know of the solution, but the CPS rep I spoke to was about as helpful as a toothache and insisted they know nothing of R3's locking up... or R5's for that matter.

May 07, 2022 at 08:09 AM
Bernie_King
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

I've had my R3 since it released and had one lockup on the first shoot, then no problems after. I do not use GPS at all (Camera is in Airplane mode) so maybe that has spared me the issues.

May 20, 2022 at 10:20 AM
NOVA Joe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

My R3 locked up today while shooting a community swim meet. Turning the camera off and back on would not unlock it. I had to pull the battery which did fix the problem and I had jo lock ups for the rest of the shoot. This is the first lockup in about 2 months. I always shoot electronic shutter and the camera was in low continuous, and airplane mode with GPS off. I use a Sony Tough 128G CF Express card.

I also noticed that when shooting JPGs in low continuous while zooming with the RF 100-500mm L lens, the viewfinder imag occasionally ďfreezesĒ for approximately a tenth of a second. Itís distracting and I canít see the shots taken while the viewfinder is frozen. I am usually shooting at 1/3200 second.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Jul 02, 2022 at 09:27 PM
buddy duck
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

I had multiple instances of 2 different R3 bodies that "froze" (failed to awaken after a few minutes of not using). I had to remove/replace the battery each time. It happened when not using GPS at all and when using GPS so I don't think the GPS setting had any influence on this in my case. I read in another thread where an R5 shooter had the same problem and solved it by doing Low Level Format to his cards. So I did a Low Level Format on all my cards--something I was not in the habit of doing. That was 6 weeks ago and I've had no issues since then--hopefully this was the solution for me.

Jul 03, 2022 at 09:49 AM
311erin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

Havenít had a lockup since Nov 2021.

Jul 03, 2022 at 10:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bernie_King
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

311erin wrote:
Havenít had a lockup since Nov 2021.

Same. I had one the first time I shot the camera, but nothing since then. Thousands upon thousands of frames.

Jul 03, 2022 at 11:46 AM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

buddy duck wrote:
I had multiple instances of 2 different R3 bodies that "froze" (failed to awaken after a few minutes of not using). I had to remove/replace the battery each time. It happened when not using GPS at all and when using GPS so I don't think the GPS setting had any influence on this in my case. I read in another thread where an R5 shooter had the same problem and solved it by doing Low Level Format to his cards. So I did a Low Level Format on all my cards--something I was not in the habit of doing.
...Show more

The low level formatting has little effect on lock ups, I always use that on my R5 and it locks up, and the R3 I rented for a week locked up using it too. Many think its specific to a single type of card, but I use 3 different cards and have seen it in 2. IMO, its something in the firmware, my guess... the Eye AF algorithms but obviously can't say with any certainty.

They have definitely made some huge gains on the R5 with the last couple of firmware updates, as its been a while since the last lock up. Haven't tried the R3 since the last firmware so I can't say that it helped out, but I'd assume it did since the R5 and R3 firmware updates were developed around the same time.

Jul 04, 2022 at 06:06 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

The camera still locks up in sleep mode if you use GPS in mode 2.

Jul 04, 2022 at 11:12 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

No problems with lockups...but I don't have either the R3 or the R5! !

Just wanting to make you smile!

Jul 05, 2022 at 04:16 AM
buddy duck
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are the Canon R3 lockup issues put to bed and if so what was the resolution?

In my case I had 2 different bodies experiencing "failure to awaken" multiple times while no GPS was enabled. I've been 7 weeks now with no lockups, while using GPS mode 2. So for me, maybe the Low Level Format was the solution, can't be sure. But GPS is not a factor on either of my R3 bodies.

Jul 05, 2022 at 06:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password