FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15              end

Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

RustyBug wrote:
I'm starting to come around to a similar thought ... getting the pair to match with the Mono body.

I need to repurchase the 40 2.8 after having sold all my M lenses a while back.

Right now I have the 28 2.8 Color-Skopar Type II (aluminum, 0.5m MFD, matte black), and I'm thinking of adding the Type I to decide which I like best. The 0.5m MFD of the Type II doesn't make as big of a difference at 28mm as I thought it would.

I also have the 28 1.5 Nokton Type II (brass/black paint). I feel like the rendering of the Nokton near MFD wide open might be a better match to the 40 2.8 wide open at the same distances.

Too many options!

Feb 17, 2024 at 05:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

RustyBug wrote:
I'm starting to come around to a similar thought ... getting the pair to match with the Mono body.

I wanted to do the same but with the Type II, so I matches my BP bodies. I already own the 28/2.8.

Feb 17, 2024 at 05:57 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

RustyBug wrote:
My 40 Cron is pretty clean. A small bit of paint missing from a few dof lines, but otherwise, I've got a nice one.

As you know, the flare is a thing, but just how much "worse" is the handling on the CV? I typically shoot my 40 Cron via zone shooting, and kinda switch between two different "focus settings", with my aperture set to 4.5 (or 6.3, if I want a bit more dof).

Not a lot of changes when I'm working "quick". If I'm working slow ... who cares.

Basically changing the aperture will change the focus unless you have it locked on infinity. So you have to set exposure first, then focus. It is a great lens and really nicely made, this is a handling quirk you need to be aware of.

Feb 17, 2024 at 06:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Desmolicious wrote:
Basically changing the aperture will change the focus unless you have it locked on infinity. So you have to set exposure first, then focus. It is a great lens and really nicely made, this is a handling quirk you need to be aware of.

Some may not appreciate how the aperture and focus mechanics are connected, but I've become accustomed to it, having used the Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 HELIAR M, which functions similarly but lacks an infinity lock.

Feb 17, 2024 at 07:13 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Yeah I m used to it now but it should be mentioned for those who maybe unaware.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
I need to repurchase the 40 2.8 after having sold all my M lenses a while back.

Right now I have the 28 2.8 Color-Skopar Type II (aluminum, 0.5m MFD, matte black), and I'm thinking of adding the Type I to decide which I like best. The 0.5m MFD of the Type II doesn't make as big of a difference at 28mm as I thought it would.

I also have the 28 1.5 Nokton Type II (brass/black paint). I feel like the rendering of the Nokton near MFD wide open might be a better match to the 40 2.8 wide open at
...Show more

If I am not mistaken, in another thread you mentioned how much you like the rendering of the CV 40/2.8 Heliar. Could you please elaborate on your thoughts about it?

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:01 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
If I am not mistaken, in another thread you mentioned how much you like the rendering of the CV 40/2.8 Heliar. Could you please elaborate on your thoughts about it?

From MFD to around tight portrait distance, I really like how it renders backgrounds at f/2.8. It reminds me of how backgrounds look to my eye in real life when I look at something up close up not literally how the background looks, but like the memory of it, if that makes any sense. This is because the bokeh is varied just enough to be not too smooth/modern but is also not too busy or distracting. And there is uniformity in the bokeh appearance for close up and wide open shots such that the bokeh of objects behind the subject at mid distance look very similar to the background at infinity.

Then there is the subject in focus, which this lens renders in a very sharp, detailed, and modern way. I feel like this is an unexpected result given how it renders backgrounds, so it makes the subject jump off the screen more than I expect given the f/2.8 maximum aperture. It's as if I the subject were shot with a modern lens and pasted it onto a background shot with a more classic lens.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1750078/13#16333278

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1750078/11#16250370

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

highdesertmesa wrote:
From MFD to around tight portrait distance, I really like how it renders backgrounds at f/2.8. It reminds me of how backgrounds look to my eye in real life when I look at something up close up not literally how the background looks, but like the memory of it, if that makes any sense. This is because the bokeh is varied just enough to be not too smooth/modern but is also not too busy or distracting. And there is uniformity in the bokeh appearance for close up and wide open shots such that the bokeh of objects behind the
...Show more

I remember seeing those images! Yes, I agree, the rendering is pleasing. There's some noticeable structure because it's not a fast lens, and the transition isn't overly smooth like many modern lenses.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:06 AM
Elsee

p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Do you think there will be a Type II version with more classical barrel like the new Color Heliar 28mm 2,8 ?

I'm interested into the 28+40mm as pocket lenses but I would like them to look and feel similar. As I want to use them on mirrorless, type II design will suit me better...

May 05, 2024 at 01:42 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.