Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
15
       end
  

Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Desmolicious wrote:
Get the cheapo Tiffen filter. Quoting myself in this thread:



What do you think of the Tiffen 34mm UV filter? Have you tested it for any image quality issues when shooting against the light? I'm thinking of buying one today, and my plan is to remove the glass and attach it directly inside the provided lens hood.



Sep 06, 2023 at 10:18 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
What do you think of the Tiffen 34mm UV filter? Have you tested it for any image quality issues when shooting against the light? I'm thinking of buying one today, and my plan is to remove the glass and attach it directly inside the provided lens hood.


I stopped using the Tiffen because it is no good unless the sun is behind your back. At the time I bought it, only this and the single coat Heliopan was available. In the decent filter comparison test I read, the Heliopan was as bad as the Tiffen! But apparently the multi coat Heliopan is now in stock.

With the Tiffen filter I removed the glass to just use it as a compact lens hood.



Sep 06, 2023 at 10:30 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Desmolicious wrote:
I picked up an uncoated Tiffen UV filter for this lens (the only thing available) for $8. I did that partially out of habit, and also because a lot of times it is windy at the beach and I do a lot of stuff down there. The much more expensive Heliopan is out of stock.
The pics I took were either in overcast conditions, or had the sun behind my back so little chance of image degradation. I think though I will be going w/o the filter as this test shows both the Tiffen and Heliopan are frankly cr@p. And seeing
...Show more

Bump for the UV filter test results, which showed how the Tiffen and Heliopans performed.


https://www.lenstip.com/113.24-article-UV_filters_test_Tiffen_72mm_UV.html




Sep 06, 2023 at 10:45 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Desmolicious wrote:
Bump for the UV filter test results, which showed how the Tiffen and Heliopans performed.

https://www.lenstip.com/113.24-article-UV_filters_test_Tiffen_72mm_UV.html



Wow, the Tiffen got last place on that test!



Sep 06, 2023 at 11:43 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Wow, the Tiffen got last place on that test!


What is actually excellent about that test is it directly compares pics with and w/o the filter. So instead of reading about light transmission values, you plainly see how things get bolloxed up.



Sep 06, 2023 at 02:52 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


I think Iíve found my preferred solution, which is the Heliopan 34-39mm step-up ring combined with a 39mm B+W Master clear on the end. Itís just a tiny bit narrower and shorter than the Voigtlander hood by itself. Edge of the B+W matches the end ring and aperture ring style of the lens. When comparing against a 34mm filter plus the Voigtlander hood, itís considerably shorter. Tested for any impact to corner IQ stopped down at infinity, and there is none.

I also bought and received the Heliopan 34mm SH-PMC (multicoated) filter, but Iím not even bothering to try it out given how well the step-up ring plus filter combo works.











Step-up plus filter versus the Voigtlander hood







Versus UV with Voigtlander hood







Lettering looks better than B&Hís product photo showed









Sep 06, 2023 at 03:58 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Wow, the Tiffen got last place on that test!


Sounds about right given their expertise in soft focus effect filters



Sep 06, 2023 at 04:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
I think Iíve found my preferred solution, which is the Heliopan 34-39mm step-up ring combined with a 39mm B+W Master clear on the end. Itís just a tiny bit narrower and shorter than the Voigtlander hood by itself. Edge of the B+W matches the end ring and aperture ring style of the lens. When comparing against a 34mm filter plus the Voigtlander hood, itís considerably shorter. Tested for any impact to corner IQ stopped down at infinity, and there is none.

I also bought and received the Heliopan 34mm SH-PMC (multicoated) filter, but Iím not even bothering to try it
...Show more

The included hood cap may fit since it's 39mm. Did you try it?

I just received the Tiffen 34mm UV and just by looking at the not so clear glass, I can tell it will not provide high IQ.



Sep 06, 2023 at 04:37 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
The included hood cap may fit since it's 39mm. Did you try it?

I just received the Tiffen 34mm UV and just by looking at the not so clear glass, I can tell it will not provide high IQ.


Bummer about the Tiffen. Every filter Iíve ordered from Amazon was either fake or someone had taken the original, put back in an unbranded no-name filter, then returned it only for it to get resold as new to me.

The original hood is too wide to fit the 34-39 step-up plus filter combo. Iím going to use it without a cap.



Sep 06, 2023 at 04:51 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
Bummer about the Tiffen. Every filter Iíve ordered from Amazon was either fake or someone had taken the original, put back in an unbranded no-name filter, then returned it only for it to get resold as new to me.

The original hood is too wide to fit the 34-39 step-up plus filter combo. Iím going to use it without a cap.


Yep, it looks used too. Regarding the hood, perhaps you can add a thicker felt on it.



Sep 06, 2023 at 04:56 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Yep, it looks used too. Perhaps you can add a thicker felt on it.


The original cap is unfortunately much too wide to fit even with thicker felt. The original hood alone almost fits over the step-up combo! Maybe several layers of felt would work, but I donít want to mess up the original felt with adhesive from new felt, either.




Sep 06, 2023 at 05:00 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Using the 57-degree angle of view, I determined the focal length of the Heliar 40/2.8 to be approximately 40.75mm. I charted these values, resulting in the following representation. The green line corresponds to the Heliar 40.75mm focal length, and it falls almost precisely between the 35mm and 50mm frames.


Discovered today that the 1.3x digital zoom (crop) function on the M11 makes an image with the CV 40 2.8 that matches the 50mm frame lines exactly and the 1.8x zoom is exactly 75mm. Can't get that exact match up starting with any other focal length. Only problem (if you'd call it that) is the digital zoom when selected in the menu only is applied in live view. If I shoot with the rangefinder, the zoom is not applied. I may email Leica and ask for an option in firmware to allow the crop to function while using the rangefinder. I'd love to sometimes leave the camera set to 1.3x zoom and shoot this like an APS-H sensor with a 50mm equivalent FOV while using the rangefinder.



Sep 06, 2023 at 10:51 PM
Rob L
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


I have the 40mm Heliar. It seems much closer to 35mm than to 50mm. I'm considering filing the activation tab to bring up the 35mm frame lines. Are the 28 and 40 CV lenses far enough apart to justify both. Seems you and Fred feel they are.


Sep 07, 2023 at 07:18 AM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Rob L wrote:
I have the 40mm Heliar. It seems much closer to 35mm than to 50mm. I'm considering filing the activation tab to bring up the 35mm frame lines. Are the 28 and 40 CV lenses far enough apart to justify both. Seems you and Fred feel they are.


As Fred illustrated, the CV 40 FOV falls exactly between the 35 and 50 frame lines. I would try manually engaging the 35mm frame lines when shooting the 40 to be sure that's what you want. I find it more difficult to estimate a crop from 35mm than to estimate a wider border from 50mm. + Using 50mm frame lines is less likely to be destructive (by cropping out something I needed) if I get my estimation wrong. Something that does work for me Ė framing with the 50 and flicking the frame lines lever to see 35 really quick Ė much easier to verify the 40 FOV that way as it sits right between 35 and 50.

The 28 Color Skopars are small enough to carry with the 40 without a second thought. I see them more as a "pick one" for a few hours or all day versus switching back and forth. Probably a 21 or a 24mm is a more logical choice than 28 to pair with 40, and it would have the benefit of continuing to require me to estimate a larger FOV than is seen in the frame lines.



Sep 07, 2023 at 08:13 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


highdesertmesa wrote:
As Fred illustrated, the CV 40 FOV falls exactly between the 35 and 50 frame lines. I would try manually engaging the 35mm frame lines when shooting the 40 to be sure that's what you want. I find it more difficult to estimate a crop from 35mm than to estimate a wider border from 50mm. + Using 50mm frame lines is less likely to be destructive (by cropping out something I needed) if I get my estimation wrong. Something that does work for me Ė framing with the 50 and flicking the frame lines lever to see 35 really quick
...Show more

The Type I 28mm and 40mm lenses make a great pair due to their similar appearance and mechanics. However, I personally lean towards using a combination like 28/50 for a two-lens outing or just carrying a 35mm lens.



Sep 11, 2023 at 01:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Is the 40/2.8 hood the same length as the 28/2.8 Heliar?


Sep 12, 2023 at 07:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the 40/2.8 hood the same length as the 28/2.8 Heliar?


I discovered the answer to my own question, and in case someone else is curious about this, you can use the lens hoods interchangeably between the CV 28/2.8 Type I and 40/2.8 Heliar lenses. Same size and length.



Sep 20, 2023 at 05:12 PM
Malabito
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review


Some images taken with the 40mm, sadly i ended selling the lens given i coudnt get used to the focal. I will probably end getting the 28mm skopar v1










Sep 21, 2023 at 01:05 AM
1       2       3              14      
15
       end






FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
15
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.