3              10       11       end

Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

markhout
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Desmolicious wrote:
Size comparison Leica Summicron 40 f2, CV 40 2.8, Rollei Sonnar 40 2.8

How would you rate the CV 40 vs the Leica 40?

Apr 01, 2022 at 10:39 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

markhout wrote:
How would you rate the CV 40 vs the Leica 40?

I'll let you know once I get a chance to try it out!

I do know that I just delivered a 24x36 inch print shot on film to a client from the Summicron 40 that was pin sharp at that size, up close and personal - not from 'viewing distance'. If the CV can match that I'll be very happy.

Apr 01, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Ok, I tried it out on my M240 and there was no issue with lens coding/the black mount. W/ lens coding set to auto, it just took pics, did not show any lens had been selected in the meta, and picked whatever shutter speed seemed appropriate for auto ISO. It selected 1/15 sec indoors (as where these pics were taken) so who knows what the camera was thinking...
With lens coding off - no issues. With lens coding on manual - no issues. It just used whatever I set it at, and in this case I set it for the pre asph 35mm Summicron. Just because that was what I was using for my Light Lens Lab 8 Elements replika.

What is nice is the aperture ring has two sets of markings across from each other - which is handy as the aperture ring moves when the lens is focused.

As I'm meant to be working, I took the first shot ever with this lens of mine of Daisy.. Two uncropped shots with no adjustment apart from using the in camera 35 pre asph profile. One pic at 200% magnification. All at 2.8 i.e. wide open (woo hoo take that CV 50 1.0!) ISO showed to be 800-1000

'Want a piece of me?"

Apr 01, 2022 at 01:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

With lens coding off - no issues. With lens coding on manual - no issues. It just used whatever I set it at, and in this case I set it for the pre asph 35mm Summicron.

It's strange that it's not how this works with my M10-R. Perhaps this behavior varies depending on camera model.

The CV 40/2.8 Heliar VM black version gives me the "No Lens Mounted!" alert in LV mode whenever the camera is set to auto. If Lens Detection is set to "manual", I can choose a Leica lens and it works fine but once I turn the camera off, it forgets the chosen lens and I get the error again.

With the 40/2.8 Heliar VM silver, LD works perfectly with no errors in either auto or manual.

Apr 01, 2022 at 01:34 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

This lens is also fantastic on my Fuji Xpro3. It becomes a tiny 60mm equivalent lens.

This time Pepe is the model, @ 2.8 and ISO 5000! (My M240 could only dream of that...)
Full shot, then 200% crop. This is a straight out of the camera jpeg (Astia film simulation) with no editing by me.

Apr 01, 2022 at 04:58 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I had more time to shoot today so I took my new VM 40/2.8 (Black) out with my Sony A7C today and did a long walk from Ebisu to Ginza. I took many shots on the way at f2.8, f8 and some at f5.6.

Some PP was done on these in C1 Pro:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y89WAri4EaYJEdpr9

I think the original Heliar 40/2.8 designed for Sony is probably more optimized for Sony sensors but the new version works well enough for me as well. Might need to stop down a little more for best corner-to-corner results compared to the original.

Apr 02, 2022 at 08:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I had more time to shoot today so I took my new VM 40/2.8 (Black) out with my Sony A7C today and did a long walk from Ebisu to Ginza. I took many shots on the way at f2.8, f8 and some at f5.6.

I think the original Heliar 40/2.8 designed for Sony is probably more optimized for Sony sensors but the new version works well enough for me as well. Might need to stop down a little more for best corner-to-corner results compared to the original.

Thanks for posting so many samples Juha! It's definitely a versatile lens, high in contrast and low in aberration. I'm still playing with it but so far really like the haptics and overall performance.

I have the black and a silver versions and they perform the same and are well centered. Did you have issues with your first copy?

I will test it on the Sony A7R IV so see how much the thicker filter influences performance.

Apr 02, 2022 at 10:29 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks for posting so many samples Juha! It's definitely a versatile lens, high in contrast and low in aberration. I'm still playing with it but so far really like the haptics and overall performance.

I have the black and a silver versions and they perform the same and are well centered. Did you have issues with your first copy?

I will test it on the Sony A7R IV so see how much the thicker filter influences performance.

Thanks Fred! I did exchange my first copy as it was decentered / softer on the left side but the replacement copy is fine. Both of them Black VM versions. I'm enjoying the lens a lot so far. I wish it was able to focus closer than 0.7m though. I'm currently using it with my Rayqual non-helicoid adapter and infinity is spot-on at hard infinity locked position. I'll probably use it more with the new CV close-focus adapter to get closer when it comes out in May.

Apr 02, 2022 at 10:46 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

I am very happy with the old version, probably may be even happier with the new
A tiny thing, it is good enough to focus with the close focus adapter. It is a pleasure to use so small lenses

Fred, I see you also utilize the TTArtisan 28mm f/5.6. May you consider it an "aceptable" performer for landscapes? I am shooting a lot in the twilight, and tripod is necessary, so 5.6 is ok for me, as I finaly use the lenses a lot at f5.6 or 8

Juha Kannisto wrote:

Apr 02, 2022 at 03:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

hanay78 wrote:
I am very happy with the old version, probably may be even happier with the new
A tiny thing, it is good enough to focus with the close focus adapter. It is a pleasure to use so small lenses

Fred, I see you also utilize the TTArtisan 28mm f/5.6. May you consider it an "aceptable" performer for landscapes? I am shooting a lot in the twilight, and tripod is necessary, so 5.6 is ok for me, as I finaly use the lenses a lot at f5.6 or 8

My main complaint from the previous 40/2.8 for Sony was having to focus using the macro adapter. It was not as pleasant compared to focusing on the lens with the new version. Focusing is very smooth and precise now. One can use the focusing lever or the front ring. (above the aperture ring)

The 28/5.6 TTA captures fine detail even wide open. The issue for landscapes would be when shooting against the light where it looses contrast due to flare. I'd say it's below average in regards to veiling flare.

Apr 02, 2022 at 10:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Shots from my test roll using the CV 40 2.8. I will claim to be the first person on this planet to use this lens on film! Ok, the first person to use this lens with Fuji Acros II. Ok, the first person to use this lens with a Leica MP .58 and Fuji Acros II. In Cinestill DF96...

These pics were taken on a very heavily overcast day w/ B&W film - not normally a winning combo for 'pop'.
But this lens is super contrasty! So the pics in this not ideal condition have pleasing snap and depth.

Also the pics are shown as the complete image to the negative border. No cropping or adjustments. Just converted from negative to positive.

Edited on Apr 04, 2022 at 10:53 AM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2022 at 10:48 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Apr 04, 2022 at 10:51 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

FYI the above pics were taken with an $8 Tiffen uncoated UV filter. Nothing else was in stock, and I'm by the beach with salt air and wind... In these conditions I did not see any undue effect, I'm sure if there was sunshine it would affect flare performance...

Apr 04, 2022 at 11:01 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

How you will feel using this lens...

Apr 04, 2022 at 11:04 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/pool/[email protected]

New image using VoigtLander 40mm f2.8 VM is presented

Apr 04, 2022 at 03:22 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Leica MP, CV 40 2.8, Acros II, DF96 Monobath

Apr 04, 2022 at 04:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Back to Quick Links

Rendering

The Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar has a distinctive modern draw despite its retro style. Subjects focused from close to infinity distance are rendered sharp with convincing contrast. Color error and spherical aberration are kept to a minimum while rendering is mostly smooth at transition zone.

At close distance, expect a good amount of blur at f/2.8 and smooth rendering around the center which helps isolate the subject. At mid/long distance rendering remains pleasant although with a bit more structure. There is evidence of optical vignetting which makes the out of focus background rendering uneven with shaper corners compared to center. The lens is sharp where it matters so you can compose your subject at center or mid-field and get great results.

Stopped down to f/4 and beyond the lens is critically sharp and could even be used for landscapes at f/8 where corners are quite good, although not excellent.

Here are a few samples showing the Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar's rendering at various distances. All focused with the rangefinder.

Scene 1: At 0.9m

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/60s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Focused area at 100% magnification

OOF center area at 100% magnification

OOF corner area at 100% magnification

Apr 04, 2022 at 05:11 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Scene 2: At 3m

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/60s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 04, 2022 at 05:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Scene 3: At 2.5m distance

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/60s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 04, 2022 at 05:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM Review

Scene 4: At 2m distance

LEICA M10-R    Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8 Heliar VM lens    40mm    f/2.8    1/45s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 04, 2022 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password