Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Surf Shot

sparkeee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Surf Shot

sony 135mm GM lens F/5.6 1/2000 sec ISO 320 shot with an A9 in a CMT waterproof housing. watershot while swimming with wetsuit and fins.

Mar 27, 2022 at 09:42 AM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Surf Shot

Spark, I like the shot. The colors are great and everything is still giving it good detail.
Being in or on the water helps a lot. Some of the whitewater is blown, do you have enough that it can be recovered?
What bothers me is that we can't see his feet or even a glimpse of the board. I'm not a surfer but I think that's important in a surf shot. If you could have waited to be on top of the swell could have been unobstructed, maybe.
Nice shot!!
John

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:35 AM
Hoffer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Surf Shot

I like it
The water in the foreground is a nice touch.
Not seeing the board lets you use a little imagination ... he could be riding a dolphin ;')

Mar 27, 2022 at 05:32 PM
sparkeee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Surf Shot

JohnSil wrote:
Spark, I like the shot. The colors are great and everything is still giving it good detail.
Being in or on the water helps a lot. Some of the whitewater is blown, do you have enough that it can be recovered?
What bothers me is that we can't see his feet or even a glimpse of the board. I'm not a surfer but I think that's important in a surf shot. If you could have waited to be on top of the swell could have been unobstructed, maybe.
Nice shot!!
John

Thank you for your input. There is definitely some leeway in terms of muting the blown highlights in some portions of the whitewater. The wave/swell in the fore ground is a common occurrence when shooting reef breaks like this. I have taken more than my share of waves on the head in my attempts to "capture the moment" In this case the surfer is my son and he had not been in the water surfing due to health related issues. In any case this is the best frame and Ilked it because I hadn't seen him smile like this in a while, so for me it was more about the moment. I added a couple of images you might like .

Mar 29, 2022 at 07:36 PM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Surf Shot

great pics charlie, that second shot with the headland in the background reminds me of government point, on the ranch.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:14 PM
sparkeee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Surf Shot

osv2 wrote:
great pics charlie, that second shot with the headland in the background reminds me of government point, on the ranch.

I used to have a boat in the early 70's and made many trips to the ranch summer and winter. Best shaped waves in the state of CA IMHO !!!

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:51 PM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Surf Shot

you were lucky to have surfed it back in those days, it's one of those magic places... i probably made a dozen boat trips to the ranch, from the late 70's thru the mid '90's... here is a bit of history surrounding the area, you've probably heard this already:

"It is said that all Chumash peoples have traditionally believed that Point Conception was the location of a shrine to the dead and is the Western Gate from where their souls departed for the afterworld... Statements made by Ineseno Chumash speaker Maria Solares to John P. Harrington from 1914 to 1919 linking Point Conception to the soul's journey to the afterworld were published in 1975 (seeBlackburn 1975:98-100)" https://escholarship.org/content/qt4v68n5gk/qt4v68n5gk.pdf?t=krni5v

Jun 20, 2022 at 09:01 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Surf Shot

The last one is killer!

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:32 AM
CPSU81

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Surf Shot

these are great photos

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:16 PM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Surf Shot

Love that last one!! Glad your son is back up and out surfing!!

Jun 21, 2022 at 04:48 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Surf Shot

Charlie, the second shot in the second set is really great. That's magazine quality. Love the perspective and especially what appears to be eye contact with the camera, that can't be common in surf shots! Nice job with that. Did you get run over? If so, THAT'S how you get a shot, being in the direct line of fire!!!
John

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:14 PM
tjbel05
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Surf Shot

Damn, these rock!

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.