Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Macro Lens Recommendations

Surgtech

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macro Lens Recommendations

Iím just getting into macro and looking for lens recommendations. Iím shooting with a Nikon Z6ii. Iíd like to keep the cost low, not sure how much macro Iíll do. I plan to shoot flowers or insects. Iíve been seeing a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-210mm f4, f4-5.6 and f4-5.6D. Thank you in advance for any advice, tips and information.

Mar 25, 2022 at 07:20 AM
Taperwing

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macro Lens Recommendations

Do you have a FTZ? Then almost any AI-S compatible lens can be tried. Nikon 60/2.8 and 105/2.8 micros (Nikon calls 'macro' lenses 'micro-NIKKOR') often go for very reasonable money, and would be a great place to start. The 60 is also makes for a great, flat-field, copy lens. Think turning your camera into a scanner.

If you are really trying to go inexpensive, find almost any version of the 90 macros from either Tokina or Tamron.

If you are not used to shooting macro, you might be in for a bit of a surprise regarding auto focus. When quite close, it takes correspondingly larger movement of optical elements to change focus. What this effectively means is auto focus tends to hunt, and is often useless. When handholding, try pre-focusing, and simply move the camera back and forth, relative to the subject, to achieve focus at your point of interest.

Mar 25, 2022 at 07:54 AM
Surgtech

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macro Lens Recommendations

Taperwing wrote:
Do you have a FTZ? Then almost any AI-S compatible lens can be tried. Nikon 60/2.8 and 105/2.8 micros (Nikon calls 'macro' lenses 'micro-NIKKOR') often go for very reasonable money, and would be a great place to start. The 60 is also makes for a great, flat-field, copy lens. Think turning your camera into a scanner.

If you are really trying to go inexpensive, find almost any version of the 90 macros from either Tokina or Tamron.

If you are not used to shooting macro, you might be in for a bit of a surprise regarding auto focus. When quite close,
...Show more

Thank you. Yes I have a FTZ adapter. Never knew the AI-S series would work on a Z. I know I have a lot to learn and practice. Just starting out Iíd like to keep the price down,.

Mar 25, 2022 at 03:31 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macro Lens Recommendations

A Kiron 105mm may suit you.

Harold

Mar 26, 2022 at 08:59 AM
daverazzi

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macro Lens Recommendations

Look into a Laowa 100mm itís all manual lens but thatís kinda what you want for macro. I own 3 different laowa lens now. I used to be a Nikon only lens snob. I have a Nikon 105mm macro but I havenít used it since getting the laowa. The laowa 100mm does 1:1 and also 2:1 magnification. Itís a fun lens!!!

Mar 28, 2022 at 08:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macro Lens Recommendations

daverazzi wrote:
Look into a Laowa 100mm itís all manual lens but thatís kinda what you want for macro. I own 3 different laowa lens now. I used to be a Nikon only lens snob. I have a Nikon 105mm macro but I havenít used it since getting the laowa. The laowa 100mm does 1:1 and also 2:1 magnification. Itís a fun lens!!!

I have several Laowa lenses but "I want to keep the price down" and Laowa lenses are not cheap.

Harold

Mar 28, 2022 at 09:03 AM
Alan Olander

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macro Lens Recommendations

If you are considering new a lens, then the Laowa is about the cheapest.

Mar 28, 2022 at 07:26 PM
jaredmizanin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macro Lens Recommendations

Has anyone tried the new Laowa 85mm 2x lens? That 2:1 and small 'travel-size' combo have me really interested.

Mar 29, 2022 at 05:16 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macro Lens Recommendations

jaredmizanin wrote:
Has anyone tried the new Laowa 85mm 2x lens? That 2:1 and small 'travel-size' combo have me really interested.

85mm is a good FL. The only thing which bothers me is the aperture ring near the front of the lens. I have found this positioning makes it easy to unintentionally move with at least one of my legacy lenses.

A good review:

https://petapixel.com/2021/12/02/laowa-85mm-f-5-6-review-the-smallest-2x-macro-packs-a-big-punch/

Harold

Mar 29, 2022 at 05:58 AM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macro Lens Recommendations

Surgtech,

You may want to try reversing any old 50mm on to your camera body also.

Something like this ...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1413624-REG/fotodiox_reverse_mount_58mm_nikf_58mm_filter_thread_macro.html

Thomas

Apr 05, 2022 at 07:29 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password