• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

palmor wrote:
So I just tried this out on my 2019 iMac with the following specs:

3.6 GHz Intel i9 (8 core)
40GB Memory
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Something seems wrong for the export though, I wonder if there was some other param you had set during the export that I did not (for example I did not have sharpening). I would not expect this to be faster then the max chip.

Export A1 to JPG: 22:03 (1451 files)
Export 10 A1 files to Topaz Denoise: 39s
...Show more

Without the exact same files though you can't make a true comparison. For example, I shoot in lossless compressed on my A1, and that will be different than compressed or uncompressed. In addition, individual files will vary in size based on content and ISO--in my batch of files they ranged from 53.9MB to 74MB--a pretty huge size difference. Then there's the fact that the image content will determine the calculations required to render a 1:1 preview and create a jpeg. Bottom line you'd need to use the same images I used to make an identical comparison.

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:53 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

OK, I've also updated these graphs for the base model Studio Max 24-core GPU and 32MB of RAM. That configuration is a great value for most photographers IMO. Killer performance that will match or almost match that of the top 14" M1 Max MacBook Pros but $900 less for identical specs. Yes, you need your own monitor, but most have one, and it lets you pick the monitor of your choice.

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:17 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

I'm a little baffled by the Topaz numbers. Unless I misunderstood I thought I'd read many times that Topaz is GPU hungry, yet there's little difference between the 3 Studio flavors from 24 to 64 GPU cores.

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:50 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

mcbroomf wrote:
I'm a little baffled by the Topaz numbers. Unless I misunderstood I thought I'd read many times that Topaz is GPU hungry, yet there's little difference between the 3 Studio flavors from 24 to 64 GPU cores.

I'm not; I suspect that Topaz doesn't use Metal for their graphics--it they did, it should have scaled cleanly. They only recently released the M1-native versions of their apps, which clearly aren't even optimized, as they perform very similarly to the old versions under Rosetta2. What's very interesting is that they have the option to also use the Neural Engines as well. I know that DxO DeepPrime does, even though oddly enough they still are NOT M1-native. There's also a question of the relative benefits of the NE vs using such a huge number of GPU cores. Like I said, I think we're still a long way off from application developers properly leveraging all of this technology to its full potential.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:37 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

jhapeman wrote:
I'm not; I suspect that Topaz doesn't use Metal for their graphics--it they did, it should have scaled cleanly. They only recently released the M1-native versions of their apps, which clearly aren't even optimized, as they perform very similarly to the old versions under Rosetta2. What's very interesting is that they have the option to also use the Neural Engines as well. I know that DxO DeepPrime does, even though oddly enough they still are NOT M1-native. There's also a question of the relative benefits of the NE vs using such a huge number of GPU cores. Like I said,
...Show more

Thanks for that clarification.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:40 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

For those of you that use CaptureOne, I'm doing some imports now. I can't compare it directly because as far as I can tell, I can't separate the process of importing and creating previews in C1. That said, even when rendering only 2560 pixel previews C1 is sloowwwww compared to Lightroom, and it's clear why--they are not using very many CPU cores at all. Basically only about 4 of the performance cores seem busy and they're not very busy at all.

Right now I'm doing a jpeg export and it's the same. Identical set of images BTW, with identical settings for the jpegs, and hardly any CPU utilization, and from a time perspective, LR is going to absolutely crush C1--it should end up being twice as fast or close to it.

Mar 27, 2022 at 02:21 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Well, ouch for CaptureOne users. I know people are religious about their software choices, but about 18 months ago when I was reaching peak frustration with Adobe re: Lightroom performance, I gave CaptureOne a serious whirl. I had been told it was faster, had better GPU acceleration support, etc. I personally found it to be the same if not slower than Lightroom at many tasks, and with a DAM system that was crippled in comparison to the catalogs in Lightroom, so I never made the switch. In the interim, Adobe has been making performance improvements in the last two major releases and in between with the updates. Prime example:

Just importing and creating half-sized previews in Capture One took vastly longer. To import the same 1456 A1 files took almost 7 minutes; to finish creating the 2560-pixel previews it took a 17:56s. Lightroom it only took a 2:40 seconds to import with minimal previews and then 14:10 to create 100% full-sized previews. That's less time for a full preview, so browsing had no delays to render a full preview, unlike C1--and it was faster overall.

Exporting the images as full-sized JPEGs with identical settings was 16:35 with Lightroom on the 64GB Studio Ultra and 28:22 with CaptureOne. The screen caps attached of CPU utilization make it clear why that's the case: CaptureOne just isn't using much of the available power. Interestingly though C1 is using the GPU for exporting JPEGs, while Lightroom does not use the GPU for this task. I can't get a breakdown on GPU utilization by core count, though.

CaptureOne Export--very low CPU utilization

Lightroom Export--using all available CPU cores

Mar 27, 2022 at 03:04 PM
hcubell

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Thanks for all of this work. It's so helpful to see these tests done by a photographer rather than someone focusing on video gaming. I work with 50 MP and 80 MP medium format files and find that the biggest bottleneck in my workflow is the use of Topaz AI programs, Sharpen AI and Gigapixel AI. The time to generate previews and to apply the chosen settings to the TIFF is slow as molasses with my 2013 Mac Pro. While I think that the Mac Studio Max would be fine for most tasks, I wonder if the performance with these Topaz AI programs would be materially improved with the Ultra compared to the Max. Do you have Sharpen and Gigapixel AI by any chance?

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:12 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

hcubell wrote:
Thanks for all of this work. It's so helpful to see these tests done by a photographer rather than someone focusing on video gaming. I work with 50 MP and 80 MP medium format files and find that the biggest bottleneck in my workflow is the use of Topaz AI programs, Sharpen AI and Gigapixel AI. The time to generate previews and to apply the chosen settings to the TIFF is slow as molasses with my 2013 Mac Pro. While I think that the Mac Studio Max would be fine for most tasks, I wonder if the performance with these
...Show more

I do have have both, if you want to Dropbox me a couple of your files I can run some tests on them for you.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hcubell

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Thanks. Very kind of you. How do I upload them?

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:39 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

jhapeman wrote:
I do have have both, if you want to Dropbox me a couple of your files I can run some tests on them for you.

Thanks for doing all this, very informative!

I do have one question for you that I have not seen addressed elsewhere. One of the primary and incredibly-annoying slowdowns I contend with daily is waiting for LR to render at 1:1 on a 5k screen (or the attached Thunderbolt Display), especially with large panos (500MP+). Sometimes it will take 20-40 seconds to finally update the display, almost always I get the spinning beachball, etc. Computer in question is a 2020 5k iMac, 3.6 i9, 128GB. Notably, my LR previews file is bloated to 688GB for a 325k image catalog (I have not seen that LR actually ever releases 1:1 previews despite it being 'set' to do so; I've never witnessed the file decrease in size). Anyway, that's another tangent...

Have you noticed any differences with the Studio in regard to 1:1 rendering? It's currently the worst time-suck I get with this computer and LR, but I know my use case is a bit severe (working with many near-gigapixel images). I realize that there are a lot of aspects to this that are likely hard to duplicate for tests (e.g. differences in the LR Previews files), but I'm really curious if the Studio is going to help the issue. I really wish Adobe would figure this out; I really enjoyed Aperture's solution to this, that is, their little magnifying glass that instantly gave you a 1:1 preview of a small area of the image (it worked really well).

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 30, 2022 at 09:28 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Jeff wrote:

I do have one question for you that I have not seen addressed elsewhere. One of the primary and incredibly-annoying slowdowns I contend with daily is waiting for LR to render at 1:1 on a 5k screen (or the attached Thunderbolt Display), especially with large panos (500MP+). Sometimes it will take 20-40 seconds to finally update the display, almost always I get the spinning beachball, etc. Computer in question is a 2020 5k iMac, 3.6 i9, 128GB. Notably, my LR previews file is bloated to 688GB for a 325k image catalog (I have
...Show more

I assume you are asking about real-time 1:1 rendering? If you have somewhere you can upload one of these large panos to I can test it out for you. I do a lot of wildlife photography, so I usually have LR generate 1:1 previews as part of the import so I can rapidly flip through them at 100% to cull out those that aren't razor sharp.

Mar 30, 2022 at 02:05 PM
hcubell

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Jeff wrote:

I do have one question for you that I have not seen addressed elsewhere. One of the primary and incredibly-annoying slowdowns I contend with daily is waiting for LR to render at 1:1 on a 5k screen (or the attached Thunderbolt Display), especially with large panos (500MP+). Sometimes it will take 20-40 seconds to finally update the display, almost always I get the spinning beachball, etc. Computer in question is a 2020 5k iMac, 3.6 i9, 128GB. Notably, my LR previews file is bloated to 688GB for a 325k image catalog (I have
...Show more

Check out this review of the Mac Studio Ultra:

It would probably cut the time for the rendering of 1:1 previews by 2/3 for you.

Mar 30, 2022 at 03:26 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Jeff wrote:

...Show more
jhapeman wrote:
I assume you are asking about real-time 1:1 rendering? If you have somewhere you can upload one of these large panos to I can test it out for you. I do a lot of wildlife photography, so I usually have LR generate 1:1 previews as part of the import so I can rapidly flip through them at 100% to cull out those that aren't razor sharp.

I am, real-time. I also build 1:1s on import for non-time lapse stuff, and obviously the panos are built when bringing the TIF in from PS (assuming, of course, that the dimensions are small enough for LR to not–arbirtrarily–choke on). I say 'arbitrary' because the max pixel-dimension and 512MP limit in LR seems arbitrary, although at least it can now read PSB files.

hcubell wrote:
Check out this review of the Mac Studio Ultra: <video>. It would probably cut the time for the rendering of 1:1 previews by 2/3 for you.

I have seen that, and have ordered a Studio (mid-May delivery). Time to build 1:1 previews is an annoyance I have learned to live with (and could continue to), but the real-time rendering of the display when inspecting a file at 1:1 is what I am curious about. The other variable that few people could probably test right now is the impact on the system from pushing two 5k displays; guess I'll be the guinea pig for that!

Mar 31, 2022 at 08:59 AM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

For those patient enough to watch a 2:33 clip, I just uploaded one to YouTube. This is just a short demo to show how fluid and responsive LRC 11.2 is on one of my two Studio Ultras. FWIW, it's pretty similar on my 16" MBP M1 Max, so this is more for those looking to upgrade from older Intel iMacs. In this case I imported 331 Sony A1 lossless compressed raw files and had LR render 1:1 previews of those files. While I am doing everything in this video, LR is rendering those previews in the background, pretty much running all 20 CPU cores to 100% utilization. Notice that even with this load, LR remains very responsive. I can 100% zoom on files where the preview has not yet been rendered, and the Studio will render the preview almost instantaneously. I apply multiple masks, including AI-generated subject recognition, and it's nearly instant. That all leverages the GPU as do the other develop pane tasks, such in applying lens profiles and CA correction. Even an export to Topaz DeNoise AI is very fast. Pardon my mouse skipping around as I was sort of just thinking of adjustments to try on the fly! Hopefully this is of use to some.

https://youtu.be/vDMsIhIWQl8

Mar 31, 2022 at 05:30 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

Dammit Jeff you are not helping

I'm trying really hard to hold onto my Windows desktop for another year or so but my credit card finger is getting really itchy ...

Apr 01, 2022 at 04:09 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Mac Studio Ultra Benchmarking

jhapeman wrote:
For those patient enough to watch a 2:33 clip, I just uploaded one to YouTube. This is just a short demo to show how fluid and responsive LRC 11.2 is on one of my two Studio Ultras. FWIW, it's pretty similar on my 16" MBP M1 Max, so this is more for those looking to upgrade from older Intel iMacs. In this case I imported 331 Sony A1 lossless compressed raw files and had LR render 1:1 previews of those files. While I am doing everything in this video, LR is rendering those previews in the background, pretty much running
...Show more

Thanks for posting that video as well as your other findings, it was the final nudge I needed. I have a 2016 15" MPB that has definitely been showing its age and was on the fence as to what to get next. I never use my laptop out of clamshell mode and was considering getting a Mac Mini, but now I'm glad I waited for the Mac Studio. After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided the base Max Studio would be adequate for me. I could really care less about import times, rendering, and exports as my hobbyist volume is quite low. I care more about speed and smoothness of use when doing active editing tasks, and to a lesser degree for HDR, focus stacking and panos. I'll give it a whirl for the next couple of weeks to make sure it's a machine that will last me a few years. Now to get it up and running and totally rearrange my desk. 2 monitors shared by a work PC and my Mac with a million corded peripherals

Apr 01, 2022 at 12:10 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password