New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2022 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

louie champan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

Has anyone had experience in dealing with Sony Repair services provided by Precision Camera? I'm experiencing what I would consider horrible Customer Service from both Sony and Precision Camera. The locking switch on the side of my Sony TC1.4 broke and wouldn't lock to the lens any longer. Sony had me send it into Precision Camera. They've had it two weeks now and keep telling me that they are waiting for Sony to get back to them on the repair. Not sure why because it's out of warranty.
This morning I told Precision Camera that I haven't heard from Sony yet so could they at least tell me what's wrong and how much to fix it. They finally came back and said they had to replace the lens block and that it would be $900. I said the unit only cost $550 brand new. No comment from them, again they said wait for Sony to call you.
Piss poor CS if you ask me on both companies' part.

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:04 AM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

they replaced the lens block without getting your approval first?

it looks like that's a very expensive part, $750 retail? https://encompass.com/model/SONSEL14TC

did you drop the tc, or something that would have affected the optics? i don't see why they'd replace that over a mechanical slider part for locking the lens.

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:53 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

osv2 wrote:
they replaced the lens block without getting your approval first?

it looks like that's a very expensive part, $750 retail? https://encompass.com/model/SONSEL14TC

did you drop the tc, or something that would have affected the optics? i don't see why they'd replace that over a mechanical slider part for locking the lens.

No, did not drop it, in fact it works just fine but won't lock to the lens due to the little switch appearing to be stuck.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:42 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

I'm surprised the Sony TC is even repairable. Quoting $900 to "repair" a $500 item seems like a classic method of saying "no" without actually saying "no". Either they cannot or do not want to do the work. So they are giving you a ridiculous estimate so you can be the one the say "no" rather than them.

Fuji used to consider a TC as one single indivisible unit. A broken lock switch "repair" was replacing the entire TC. Perhaps that has changed for Fuji. But the repair parts themselves are becoming larger and more complicated sets of parts. Lensrentals has discussed this on their blog. They used to be able to buy a single glass element but now can only buy groups of elements for some lenses. My guess is alot of this comes down to JIT manufacturing and the current supply chain.

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:12 PM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

louie champan wrote:
Has anyone had experience in dealing with Sony Repair services provided by Precision Camera? I'm experiencing what I would consider horrible Customer Service from both Sony and Precision Camera. The locking switch on the side of my Sony TC1.4 broke and wouldn't lock to the lens any longer. Sony had me send it into Precision Camera. They've had it two weeks now and keep telling me that they are waiting for Sony to get back to them on the repair. Not sure why because it's out of warranty.
This morning I told Precision Camera that I haven't heard from Sony
...Show more

Multiple times... both for repairs and routine servicing as a Sony Pro member. I had an account person assigned to the repairs that updated me daily. One repair was the fault of Sony who fought me on it until they gave in and agreed that it was a design flaw. The other two repairs were for SSM motors and ridiculously expensive to the point of almost not being worth it. I ended up selling both lenses soon after repair so I could at least get something back. For routine cleaning and adjustments Precision did a capable job of things and camera's and bodies arrive home better than they went out. I have read similar stories to what you are experiencing with Precision and Sony. YMMV

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:57 PM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

Seven or eight years ago, I had a couple repairs done through Precision and had horrible experiences. I almost stopped shooting Sony because of Precisionís horrible reputation, at the time.

In the last two years, I have had two repairs done through Sony Pro Services (Precision) and had outstanding experiences. On the last repair, a lens mount needed to be replaced. Even though they had to order the part from Sony, the whole process only took a week and cost $398.

Mar 21, 2022 at 01:11 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

I'm one for two.

At the end of 2021, they fixed a new Sony 14mm f/1.8 GM with a fast turn-around (2 weeks). The lens went from very decentered to perfectly centered. Great experience.

They have had my Sony 24mm f/2.8 G since early January. It was wonky-soft, just strange. The only information that I can get is from the automated repair tracking page, despite several unanswered e-mails to Precision. The repair page says that they are waiting for parts. This lens is under warranty. At this point, they should just send me a new lens and keep the old one. New 24/2.8 G lenses are in stock everywhere. Very frustrating.

Mar 21, 2022 at 02:16 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

Reading all of your comments, and thank you very much, it doesn't speak too highly of their CS at Sony or Precision. I think the comment of quoting such a high price was to just blow me off.
This couldn't come at worst time, I just sent the last of my Nikon equipment off to MPB. I'm totally in Sony's camp now.
Thanks
Louie

Mar 21, 2022 at 03:11 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

Louie, I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with the TC and furthermore the non-satisfactory response you get from both Sony and Precision. Judging by the Sony gear you have, I would say that you would be able to qualify as a pro. As such, they treat you better, in more expedient way and you get a discount if you end up getting the repair done. I would look into that if I were you.

The experience dealing with camera companies varies widely, regardless of the brand. Yes, sometimes it can be frustrating when you are treated like that and believe me, negative experiences do happen on the other camp, as well.

Mar 21, 2022 at 03:50 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

AGeoJO wrote:
Louie, I am sorry to hear that you had an issue with the TC and furthermore the non-satisfactory response you get from both Sony and Precision. Judging by the Sony gear you have, I would say that you would be able to qualify as a pro. As such, they treat you better, in more expedient way and you get a discount if you end up getting the repair done. I would look into that if I were you.

The experience dealing with camera companies varies widely, regardless of the brand. Yes, sometimes it can be frustrating when you are treated like
...Show more

Thanks Joshua, I'm going to look into the Pro Status and see how that would work for me. I'll update this thread when I get some word back from Sony and or Precision Camera. In the mean time, I think I'm just going to go ahead and order a new teleconverter, the problem with that is they are out of stock everywhere.

Mar 21, 2022 at 05:12 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

i have had to deal with them several times for repairs on stuff, but as a Sony Pro Support service member. customer service has been outstanding, and prices reasonable.

Mar 21, 2022 at 05:14 PM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

This has been my experience through Pro Support as well.

3catsinky wrote:
i have had to deal with them several times for repairs on stuff, but as a Sony Pro Support service member. customer service has been outstanding, and prices reasonable.

Mar 21, 2022 at 05:45 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

What does it require to become a Sony Pro Support service member?

Mar 21, 2022 at 07:23 PM
jharter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

They fixed my Arca Swiss ballhead (saltwater dunk) very well.

Mar 21, 2022 at 07:56 PM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

2 full frame bodies and 3 full frame lenses. Plus, you make at least part of your income through photography.

$100 per year gets you 3 cleanings per year (and you can send in two pieces of gear per cleaning), discounts on repairs with loaners, and you can check out any camera gear Sony makes to try it out. You have to give a few weeks notice, but you could try, for example, an a1 or a GM lens to see if you like it.

smpetty wrote:
What does it require to become a Sony Pro Support service member?

Mar 21, 2022 at 08:37 PM
eriet30
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

Multiple repairs multiple cleanings .... 9 or 10 in all 2 being big repairs all but one was thru the Los Angeles site and were FABULOUS on communication and time.

Latest one is east coast and it is not good on any account. I didnt get to choose east or west coast it is what Sony directed me but if I could I would always go the LA route.

Just my humble opinion. Still happier with Sony Pro than I was with Cannon Pro.... other than the renewal goodies were better with canon

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:47 AM
liftedspirit
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

maestrofilms wrote:
2 full frame bodies and 3 full frame lenses. Plus, you make at least part of your income through photography.

$100 per year gets you 3 cleanings per year (and you can send in two pieces of gear per cleaning), discounts on repairs with loaners, and you can check out any camera gear Sony makes to try it out. You have to give a few weeks notice, but you could try, for example, an a1 or a GM lens to see if you like it.

I'd been thinking about joining for a while, so I decided to apply this morning, listing only my one full frame body and a number of lenses. Within a half hour, they sent me an email stating I'd been approved. So it doesn't look like you need two full frame bodies if you obtain some of your income from photography as I do.

Mar 22, 2022 at 04:30 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

Appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I am going to apply for Sony Pro status and see how it goes. Also, I'm supposed to hear from Sony Service Support this week as to what they want to do about the repair costs of my TC1.4. I will post the conclusion of this situation as soon as I get the call from Sony.

Mar 22, 2022 at 09:22 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

This ongoing Saga finally comes to an end. After numerous calls to Sony to no avail, this morning I wouldn't take no for an answer and told them I wanted to speak to someone that can make a decision in this case. So, it wasn't long after hanging up that a rep from Sony called me and told me that there really wasn't much Sony could do for me. Why I wasn't told this 3 weeks ago I'll never know. Given that, I ask him to please call Precision Camera and relay this news because according to them that is what they have been waiting for before they could do anything for me.
Sure enough, he must have made that call because it wasn't long afterwards that I get an email from Precision Camera with a quote of $187.50 to repair the TC and it would take about 4 days. Three weeks ago, they told me it would cost $900 to repair.
I'm happy this saga has finally come to a close, but for the life of me I don't understand why this couldn't have been resolved with the same conclusion three weeks ago.

Mar 30, 2022 at 01:03 PM
EdwardDye
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dealing with Precision Camera for Sony repairs

I had great experience with Sony Pro Support, they reply super quick and very helpful, but Precision Camera quote is crazy, one of my friend send a 70-200GM in for fix and they basically quote $2500 to fix it, so Sony offered to upgrade it to a new 70-200GM II for $2200, So I like Sony Pro Support, but Precision Camera is something else.

Mar 30, 2022 at 07:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.