FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · First wedding shoot in years

bballfreak6
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First wedding shoot in years

So full disclosure I am not a wedding photographer; my experience shooting weddings consists of assisting maybe 4-5 weddings and leading 3 in total prior to this shoot. Having said that I have been doing photography long enough and been to enough weddings to have the confidence to pick up the odd gigs here and there and I made sure I was clear to my client before taking the job.

So the wedding went mostly without a hitch except for it being a really long day (8am - 10pm and I had a 10 hour shift at my normal day job the following day haha) partly due to me doing a mock preparation first thing in the morning (my suggestion) with the groom before rushing over to the bride side for her prep. Weather was a little difficult as it was overcast with sun constantly poking in and out before going complete dark overcast and even started spitting rain as we were doing the portrait session after the ceremony. Here are a few shots from the wedding with the rest on my website would love hear the thoughts of you experienced pros!

https://www.tonyliuphotography.com.au/portfolio/sean-alanah-wedding

Sean Preparation by Tony, on Flickr
Alanah Preparation by Tony, on Flickr
Ceremony by Tony, on Flickr

Mar 20, 2022 at 04:54 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First wedding shoot in years

Alright-alrighty....
These look good.

as far as a little feedback... there is consistency in processing. good.
the bride/girls are blown-out. you can still have the high key look with out blowing out skin.

The group shot is good... but need to make the shot either full length(see feet) or from about waste up.
This shot is in between and feels odd. needs to add a touch of space around our group.
plus we have racoon eyes.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:01 AM
bballfreak6
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First wedding shoot in years

Ziffl3 wrote:
Alright-alrighty....
These look good.

the bride/girls are blown-out. you can still have the high key look with out blowing out skin.

The group shot is good... but need to make the shot either full length(see feet) or from about waste up.
This shot is in between and feels odd. needs to add a touch of space around our group.

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback! I do know what you mean about the group shot...I need to go check the original file again but I think I may had cropped it that way originally due to some other distractions in the frame. What do you mean by racoon eyes?

Mar 20, 2022 at 02:53 PM
JRobertson
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First wedding shoot in years

Racoon eyes has to do with shading and light around the individual's eyes. When the surrounding face is light up but the eyes are dark. Has to do with subject lighting. Overall I love the depth of colors, although I agree that the bride/bridesmaids are blown out (bring the highlights down and you may regain some color), and then the other one I noticed is the alter photo, his suit color seems really flat and I assume that may have been done in post, pulled back on sat and vib? Otherwise I love the colors! The only other recommendation I have is shoot the grp photos in a much higher fstop so all subjects are in focus, but that's just me being nitpicky.

Mar 20, 2022 at 05:18 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First wedding shoot in years

a little american slang.... means the eys are lost... look really dark.
Not that we need to see the pupil color in everyone... just lighten them up without being weird or artificial.

Mar 20, 2022 at 05:22 PM
bballfreak6
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First wedding shoot in years

JRobertson wrote:
Racoon eyes has to do with shading and light around the individual's eyes. When the surrounding face is light up but the eyes are dark. Has to do with subject lighting. Overall I love the depth of colors, although I agree that the bride/bridesmaids are blown out (bring the highlights down and you may regain some color), and then the other one I noticed is the alter photo, his suit color seems really flat and I assume that may have been done in post, pulled back on sat and vib? Otherwise I love the colors! The only other recommendation I
...Show more

Ziffl3 wrote:
a little american slang.... means the eys are lost... look really dark.
Not that we need to see the pupil color in everyone... just lighten them up without being weird or artificial.

Cheers guys again really appreciate the feedback! I can definitely bring the highlights back in the bride/maids shot it was actually pushed in post...screen I edited on may need calibration again haha I thought I had edited just enough to maintain details but I am looking at it now with another screen and it does look blown out.

@JRobertson the group shot it was my own decision to let the people in the back be slightly out of focus hoping to draw more attention to the couple but I totally understand where you're coming from too.

Mar 20, 2022 at 05:37 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First wedding shoot in years

You're hired.

Who's the other photographer in the left frame of the recessional shot?

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:22 PM
bballfreak6
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First wedding shoot in years

LeeSimms wrote:
You're hired.

Who's the other photographer in the left frame of the recessional shot?

Haha thank you sir!

He's the help I brought along for the day...quite inexperienced but I thought I'd get him to come along to help out just in case but also to focus on the family members/VIP's during emotional moments of the ceremony so I can focus more on the couple (ie ring exchange and first kiss).

Looking back I probably would've been fine by myself for the whole day (all the photos here and on my site are my own) but oh wells haha.

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:51 PM
photoeye78
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First wedding shoot in years

The images are all really nice. Processing style feels a little inconsistent. They are all pretty high contrast, some with a more neutral tone, some with the trendy high key look. Then there is one random very low contrast edit (vow exchange). But if you're working out your processing style for weddings then this is completely normal. How does the bridal party photo look with a normal aspect ratio?

Mar 23, 2022 at 09:35 AM
bballfreak6
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First wedding shoot in years

photoeye78 wrote:
The images are all really nice. Processing style feels a little inconsistent. They are all pretty high contrast, some with a more neutral tone, some with the trendy high key look. Then there is one random very low contrast edit (vow exchange). But if you're working out your processing style for weddings then this is completely normal. How does the bridal party photo look with a normal aspect ratio?

Hey thanks mate! Have you had the chance to look at the full set on my site? I tried to keep the editing as consistent as I can for each of the different locations...

Forgot to mention when JRobertson noted earlier the vow exchange image the sun actually poked out of the clouds giving off very strong backlight which contributed to the low contrast...I personally didn't mind that one off though I actually liked that glowy look hah!

Mar 24, 2022 at 01:39 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First wedding shoot in years

My $.02

Don't get caught up too much in the trends (i.e. blown out high-key).

They may be trendy now, but years from now, their relatives will be thinking, WTF happened to the photos.

Yes, I am exaggerating, but you get the idea.

You have captured some great emotional shots, IMO

HTH

g

Mar 24, 2022 at 02:35 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First wedding shoot in years

Ziffl3 wrote:
Alright-alrighty....
These look good.

Don't listen to this clown. All group shots should be cropped 1" below the knee for maximum pain, and there should be no detail in wedding dresses, EVER.

Mar 24, 2022 at 08:53 PM
Lobos8403

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First wedding shoot in years

Great photos!

Mar 27, 2022 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.