New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2022 · Selling to KEH

louie champan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling to KEH

Anyone have any experience selling used eq. to KEH they would care to share with me?
thanks

Mar 18, 2022 at 03:47 PM
hkrazerx
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling to KEH

A month ago I used their website automatic quote to get an estimate on a Pentax SMC FA 75mm f2.8 I bought new but only used once on a trip to Italy. The lens was in new condition always had a filter on but no box. On the KEH website they gave a quote of $380. The lens is currently $700 new and I thought the quote was acceptable given if I had sold it privately I could have gotten maybe a bit higher minus fees. Also I wouldn’t know where to sell it as I have no history as a seller here. Anyway after KEH got the lens they revised the quote to $275. I was going to tell them to send the lens back but then gave in and accepted the quote. KEH is a dealer and expenses and salaries to pay so no hard feelings. I am sure any dealer would have made such an offer and at least I didn’t have to pay postage. If I was dead and the executor of my estate wanted to offload all my gear at once then KEH would be a good option compared to the quote I gave to my wife when she asked how much did my Leicas cost.

Mar 30, 2022 at 03:06 PM
dulebohn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling to KEH

louie champan wrote:
Anyone have any experience selling used eq. to KEH they would care to share with me?
thanks

Also check with MPB.com as they buy as well. At either site you will be offered 50% - 60% of what you could sell it for yourself (here on FM for example), but it's no hassle, no shipping cost, etc - they make it easy. I had good luck with MPB both buying and selling. Never sold to KEH but buying is a smooth process.

Good luck

Apr 05, 2022 at 05:03 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling to KEH

hkrazerx, I am curious about something. They gave you a quote online based on the information you provided but then lowered the quote once they received it. If one was to take this as a fair process, this quote change would imply that something was substantially different in reality from what they understood it to be online. This seems unlikely, given the lens was like new and they knew it didn't have the box. Did they give you an explanation for a nearly 30% reduction in their offer?

Apr 05, 2022 at 09:23 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling to KEH

Watch out for the LN- or whatever the equivalent is of that language on their site. Last time I did business with them and sent in an item that fit that kind of description, KEH down-valued the offer. I asked why and their response was that category only applied to items that were literally NIB. YMMV.

Anthony

Apr 06, 2022 at 07:48 PM
hkrazerx
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling to KEH

EverLearning wrote:
hkrazerx, I am curious about something. They gave you a quote online based on the information you provided but then lowered the quote once they received it. If one was to take this as a fair process, this quote change would imply that something was substantially different in reality from what they understood it to be online. This seems unlikely, given the lens was like new and they knew it didn't have the box. Did they give you an explanation for a nearly 30% reduction in their offer?

No explanation at all. I suppose I could have called them but then I decided not to sell anything else to a dealer again so didn’t pursue it. I don’t normally stuff online but will do so now.

Apr 08, 2022 at 04:01 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling to KEH

I sold my film gear to KEH because MPB doesn't not buy film gear. MPB may have changed its policy since then, probably six months or so ago.

Apr 08, 2022 at 06:38 PM
tomaswvtommy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling to KEH

I’ve bought and sold with KEH for many, many years. Anyone remember their flimsy paper catalogs. They have always paid me in accordance with the estimates and LN- has always meant original box and accessories. Ex+ is practically new. Their estimates are low but it’s fast and convenient and I want them to stay in business. At times though I think their quotes are too low because of inventory they already have. That’s when I sell on Fred Miranda.

Apr 16, 2022 at 01:49 PM
dpsaiz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling to KEH

I've sold a few camera and lenses to KEH. We scheduled a video call. At the appointed time we connected and I was able to show the buyer the equipment from all sides. I even held a light from my cell phone so that he could see things more clearly.

I was surprised when I was offered a few hundred dollars more for one camera than I thought I was going to get. When I tried to evaluate everything before I decided to sell I misidentified the model of a rangefinder camera.

I wrapped everything up in plastic and shipped it off. I don't believe they're interested in the OEM consumer packaging or boxes. I don't recall. I know another online camera exchange will accept the OEM customer and retail packaging. When they have items listed for sale they mention that the retail consumer packaging is include or not.

When the check arrived it was a few dollars more than the original quote.

I tried to arrange a video call with a seller from this site so I could get a better view of what I was buying. He'd never heard of such a thing and was quick to say no. We made the deal anyway and I was very pleased with the camera he sold me.

I suggest that we set up video calls so we can view the products we are interested in. Who knows, maybe a video call feature can be added to the Buy/Sell section of this website. That way you wouldn't have to exchange information that you haven't already exchanged.

Apr 24, 2022 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.