Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

jeffbuzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

Has anyone found a nice (i.e. metal) cold shoe to 1/4-20 and/or arca dovetail adapters that fit the new generation Godox flash heads which have the quick-release style shoe locks?

I have a pile of various cold shoe to light stand mounts that work perfectly fine with the older screw style shoe locks. But the hot shoes with push-button quick-release locks on the newer generation Godox heads like the TT685 II and V1 are too thick to fit into some of my mounts and the locking ring doesn't completely close on any of them. The lock ring tightens down but not far enough so that the little gray button clicks into the locked position.

The only adapter I have found that works are the flat plastic stands which come with the flash heads.

The S-type brackets work and that is the obvious solution in the studio. But those are quite large compared to tiny little shoe clamps when trying to pack small and light.

The vise clamp style mounts seem like a crushing risk since these flashes have plastic shoes. Yes, they fit but I prefer to use the flash's own lock ring to clamp it down.

Edited on Mar 21, 2022 at 04:29 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2022 at 06:25 PM
CharleyL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

Interesting, I only have an X2Tc transmitter with the quick release, so far. I like it, since it fits and works great. Still using the older speedlites with the old style shoes, so I haven't run into this problem, yet.

I think you need to get in touch with the factory, maybe through your dealer regarding this problem. They obviously have something not quite right in the design. I would not use them and send them back along with an explanation of your experience with them.

Charley

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:16 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

FYI, I just got a new copy of the V860IIIn and it has the metal foot instead of the plastic one. I can not tell for sure from your photos but it looks like the plastic foot in your photos is thicker than the metal foot on my V860IIIn.

Edited on Mar 21, 2022 at 05:01 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

MRomine wrote:
FYI, I just got a new copy of the V860IIn and it has the metal foot instead of the plastic one. I can not tell for sure from your photos but it looks like the plastic foot in your photos is thicker than the metal foot on my V860IIn.

Yes, the plastic feet are thicker than the metal ones. ~2.25mm versus 1.75mm. My older TT685C heads all have the metal feet and lock into all of the adapters I have. The original TT685S units I had also used plastic feet. But since they used screw down locks they were held down no better or worse in the adapters in which they actually fit. Now the short throw QR style lock rings can't tighten down to their fully locked position.

The Sony OEM flashes seem to come with all metal feet. Although I don't have any on hand to actually compare. Even the Godox replacement parts for their Sony TTL flashes appear to be plastic. All the Nikon, Canon and Pan/Oly replacement feet appear to be metal. So the plastic feet may be unique to the Sony mount for some reason.

Edited on May 21, 2022 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2022 at 04:28 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

jeffbuzz wrote:

I just realized that I had a typo in my original message to you. That should have said V860IIIn not V860IIn, sorry for any confusion.

Mar 21, 2022 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

broseppe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

Hey! Just wanted to bump to see if you ended up finding any 1/4-20 to cold shoe metal adapters. I have the Godox TT685 for Sony and have been trying to find a metal cold shoe because this speedlite busted a plastic cold shoe. Adorama has this Umbrella Adapter with Universal Cold Shoe, but it only has a few reviews on the site and I couldn't find any other reviews anywhere else. There's another adapter without the umbrella part, but one reviewer on that said that their speedlite got stuck on it so I'm reluctant to try any of them. Thank you!

May 21, 2022 at 12:50 AM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

broseppe wrote:
Hey! Just wanted to bump to see if you ended up finding any 1/4-20 to cold shoe metal adapters. I have the Godox TT685 for Sony and have been trying to find a metal cold shoe because this speedlite busted a plastic cold shoe. Adorama has this Umbrella Adapter with Universal Cold Shoe, but it only has a few reviews on the site and I couldn't find any other reviews anywhere else. There's another adapter without the umbrella part, but one reviewer on that said that their speedlite got stuck on it so I'm reluctant to try any of them.
...Show more

The least worst solution I have found so far is using S-type Bowens Mount Brackets that clamp around the business end of the speedlights. These work fine but are not very helpful when trying to travel with minimal gear since they are bigger and heavier than the speedlights themselves. You can get these with all the typical reflector mounts and they have brolly mounts. The major downside for me is that the brackets don't open wide enough to fit the Godox V1 (Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X) round heads.

The flat plastic stands which comes with the Godox heads take a 1/4-20 spigot in the bottom. Threading those into the universal elbow mount works and the parts take up much less space when carrying. Those flat stands are the only things which the QR style Godox feet will completely lock in to.

The AD200 heads are becoming my first choice for off camera use. They aren't much bigger to carry compared to the hotshoe heads and they have way more power. Even thought the AD200 lights are bigger, they eliminate the need to carry any extra clamps since they have built-in 1/4-20 ports and their own stand mounts.

I have some of those vise-style universal flash mounts. The Godox feet do fit in them. But I would not recommend using those type of clamps with the plastic Godox feet. They squeeze from the sides like a vise. That's fine for metal on metal, but definitely not a good idea for plastic feet.

S-type speedlite bracket with Godox TT685IIS

S-type speedlite bracket with Godox TT685IIS and Bowens reflector

S-type speedlite bracket does not fit V1 round head

May 21, 2022 at 11:59 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

Get the Godox S2 Bracket, this solves the round head flash issue. It is by far better made that the original bracket, metal stand mount, smooth tilt adjustment etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1513261-REG/godox_s2_bracket_with_bowens.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

May 21, 2022 at 08:06 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

JBPhotog wrote:
Get the Godox S2 Bracket, this solves the round head flash issue. It is by far better made that the original bracket, metal stand mount, smooth tilt adjustment etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1513261-REG/godox_s2_bracket_with_bowens.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

Apparently I didn't google hard enough! Ironically I asked B&H about this issue and at the time they either didn't have or didn't realize they had these round head compatible brackets. Thanks for the tip.

May 22, 2022 at 10:27 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cold shoe mounts for Godox flash with quick release lock?

There are versions of the brackets similar to the ones pictured above that have a removable piece in the bottom, so they can handle the Rectangular head or the round head speedlites too. My speedlites are all rectangular head, but I somehow ended up with a few of these light brackets that can accept either version.

Charley

May 22, 2022 at 11:38 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password